snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Crime

Old 11 June 2008, 02:36 AM

Icon97 Store child abduction is denied

Telford police have moved to quash rumours of an attempted child abduction at a Telford supermarket.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/2008/0...ion-is-denied/
Old 29 July 2008, 06:29 PM

Icon401 North Wales abduction story 'just an urban myth'

Rumours a missing child was found in a supermarket toilet having a hair cut in a bizarre abduction attempt have been marked down as an urban myth.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nort...5578-21415480/
Old 29 July 2008, 06:39 PM
merd24

It was so strange to me that people still believe this myth. But after surveying a sample for my research that asked the sample (156 students) if they believed this myth to be true, I found that over 60% believed not only was it true but that it happened in a store in the area/or where they originated.
Old 29 July 2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merd24 View Post
It was so strange to me that people still believe this myth. But after surveying a sample for my research that asked the sample (156 students) if they believed this myth to be true, I found that over 60% believed not only was it true but that it happened in a store in the area/or where they originated.
And yet when I tried to spread this rumor while working at TJ Maxx (so that people would actually watch their freaking children, I don't even want to get into the many ridiculous situations that made me this desparate) no one believed it. One-day gas boycotts actually doing good were 100% true though, and no amount of logic would ever dissuade them
Old 29 July 2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy from strangers View Post
And yet when I tried to spread this rumor while working at TJ Maxx (so that people would actually watch their freaking children, I don't even want to get into the many ridiculous situations that made me this desparate) no one believed it. One-day gas boycotts actually doing good were 100% true though, and no amount of logic would ever dissuade them
Maybe you just aren't believable?
Old 02 August 2008, 05:24 PM

"Rumours a missing child was found in a supermarket toilet having a hair cut in a bizarre abduction attempt have been marked down as an urban myth."

Plus the fact that any self-respecting kid is going to scream their lungs out if any strange adult tries to touch them, let alone cut their hair.

Alright, there was the James Bulger case, but that was very unusual.
Old 02 August 2008, 05:33 PM

Icon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
Plus the fact that any self-respecting kid is going to scream their lungs out if any strange adult tries to touch them, let alone cut their hair.
The usual scenario of the legend is that the child is drugged by his/her abductor(s) before the haircut takes place.
Old 03 September 2008, 01:56 AM
An Gadaí

The first time I heard this legend was from a friend who had family in Malaysia. At the time it seemed plausible that it had happened somewhere 'over there'.
Old 30 September 2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Gadaí View Post
The first time I heard this legend was from a friend who had family in Malaysia. At the time it seemed plausible that it had happened somewhere 'over there'.
I heard this one from my Mum who claimed it had happened to the daughter of a friend of my Grandmothers in the Myers (department store) down in Fremantle.
Old 26 May 2009, 11:30 PM

Icon220 Supermarket quashes abduction rumour

A supermarket chain has quashed rumours that have caused concern among parents in Great Yarmouth that a missing girl was found in the store with her hair cut.

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.u...2014:50:52:793
Old 06 June 2009, 04:19 AM

Icon18 Shopping centre hits out at urban legend

False rumours about a child being kidnapped in the city's Drake Circus mall have led its management to issue a statement reassuring shoppers.

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news...l/article.html
Old 07 July 2010, 08:46 PM

Reporter 'No truth' in abduction rumours

Gardai have said there is "no truth" in a rumour which was circulating about an attempted child abduction in a shopping centre in Portlaoise.

http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/3...urs.6403916.jp
Old 11 July 2010, 11:29 PM

non family related kidnappings are so rare, that they are anounced almost GLOBALLY...

(even Family related kidnappings in Canada are so rare, they broadcast the info nationally)..

i would think any kidnapping of this sort would make national news, and the child/victims name would be right on the lips of most who actually do care about these things.
Old 13 January 2012, 08:33 PM

Icon401 Abduction rumours refuted by shopping centre management

MacDonagh Junction Shopping Centre has moved to reassure the Kilkenny public that a rumour surrounding the abduction of a child at the shopping centre over the Christmas is entirely untrue.

Donie Butler centre manager at the facility said in a statement that an assertion by an anonymous contributor to Facebook in December claiming that a “young person was abducted at the centre” prior to Christmas and “had their head shaved in the public toilets” is both absolutely false and untrue.

http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/ar...re-management-
Old 01 May 2012, 12:28 AM

Disney Channel 10 Runs 'Disney World Abduction' Hoax

Channel 10 suspended reporter Sivan Cohen after reporting a well-known hoax claiming a 9-year old Israeli girl was nearly abducted at Disney World in Orlando.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/155300