snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 06 December 2007, 04:23 AM

Snake

Comment: I'd be the first to admit that this sounds like one of those internet
horror storys that always happen to a friend of a friend of a friend of...
The person that told me says it was her sister.

The sister has a pet python which stopped eating. After a while she got
concerned and took it to the vet who could find nothing wrong. He wasn't
worried and explained that snakes like this can go quite some time without
eating and suggested she take it back home, keep a close eye on it and if
it still wasn't eating in a week or two to bring it back in again.

So Tuesday of this week she goes back to the vet who can still find
nothing wrong and asks if there has been any unusual behavour. She says
no. The only thing odd was that a couple of night ago she woke up to find
the snake on the bed beside her. She just picked him up and put him back
in his tank. Wondering if the snake was seeking warmth he asks if it was
curled up on the bed. The girl says "No, that's what was odd. He was lying
straight, up and down the bed."

"Oh." says the vet. "I'm afraid he'll have to be put down."

"Why? What's wrong with him?" my friend's sister asks.

"There's nothing wrong with him." The vet says. "He's just starving
himself in preparation for a big meal. It's perfectly normal."

Confused she asks why he has to be put down.

"That night, on the bed."

"Yes?"

"He was measuring you!"
Old 06 December 2007, 03:17 PM

Is it OK to try to use some logic against a UL? I mean we know this story is not true in any way, but why would the snake have to be put down? Why wouldn't the owner feed it a couple of rabbits or something to simulate the big meal it was supposedly preparing for? The snake would no longer be hungry, the keeper would be safe and uneaten. Problem solved. Unless it was plot by the vet to get paid to put the snake down.

And who goes to the vet because a python stopped eating? Assuming the keeper has had it long enough for it to grow big enough to contemplate a human as a meal it would have had to have gone off feed at some point before. 3-6 months is easily possible. I have had a one go 11 months and several others go over 9 months without eating. Then they just started eating again like nothing happened. A few of the others skip meals. Sometimes they just aren't hungry. You would be one broke snake owner if you went to the vet every time it refused a meal.

shivaskeeper
Old 12 December 2007, 01:30 AM

Snake

Comment: A story that is doing the rounds very much in the UK at the
moment is the 'snake' story. This is that a woman had had a pet snake for
years (or alternatively, was looking after a snake for a friend), and the
snake stopped eating (for various periods of time). So she took it to the
vet who said not to worry about it, but the snake still wasn't eating. So
she took it back to the vet etc. Eventually she took it to a new vet who
began asking her questions about it. He asked her where the snake slept,
and she said it slept in bed with her. He asked her HOW the snake slept,
and she said it slept stretched out next to her. Then the vet said she
had to bring the snake in immediately to have it put down. The reason it
wasn't eating was because it was 'saving up' to eat her!! It was sleeping
stretched out next to her getting ready to accommodate her and 'learning'
how big she was. I have heard this from about 8 people, and everyone I
have told it to has already heard it from somebody else! Can you let me
know whether there's any truth in it?
Old 12 December 2007, 08:10 PM
Victoria J

Snake

How have I missed this thread. That's wonderful !

The title of the thread makes me think of some sort of role playing game - "A big snake is preparing to eat you. To the north is..."

Not only did the story make me laugh out loud I found it very endearing. Something about the snake having aspirations. As a children's book the snake should eventually succeed I think. A little snake who could ?

I also love the slight echo of the legend where the sinister call is traced to inside the house.

It's got to originate as a joke - surely. The version where the snake is described as "measuring itself" sounds even closer to a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
It was starving itself longer ???
And that made me laugh out loud for a second time.

Victoria - rooting for the snake* - J

(*which sounds amazingly dirty)
Old 13 December 2007, 04:08 AM
Seraphina

Many years ago I met people who used to go up to the north end of Australia to hunt crocodiles. They would live up there for few month. Once, while camping somewhere up there, they heard their 2 years old boy screaming and found him in process of being swallowed by a python. Well, at least his arm was, apparently the snake had the child's arm inside him up to the shoulder, but was unable to get past there. If that story is true it would indicate that python will try to swallow anything without first measuring it

Actually, I think if snake would first have to measure its food, it would never eat as most animals would just not cooperate.

By the way, the child in my story survived quite unscathed.
Old 15 December 2007, 06:01 PM

Do you guys remember that show Rescue 911? They had a story that had a person pet sitting for a snake, get their arm swallowed by the snake. Apparently as they went to put a frozen rabbit in the cage the snake latched on and began to swallow the persons arm. Then somehow its wrapped its body around the shoulder and began to squeeze. They actually had the real audio from the victim. He was screaming that his arm was going dead from the pressure. pretty horrifying.
Old 29 December 2007, 07:56 AM

Fright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Quigley View Post
I
Slightly OT: One of my profs told a story about a friend who kept a large python in her (the friend's) apartment. One day the python escaped, and she couldn't find it anywhere.

So she moved.
Okay, this will sound FOAF-y but reminds me of a friend of my husband's. She had a tarantula and it got out into her apartment and was missing for weeks. One day she was cleaning and there it was just hanging out under the couch, all dusty. So she put him back in his...cage? Tank? Wherever one keeps a tarantula. Right before she was moving, he got out again, and this time she never found him.

She lived in my husband's building at the time. I always shuddered to think what it might have been like for the unlucky tenant who maybe did discover him! (Sorry for the slight OT but you have to admit, good story.)
Old 29 December 2007, 11:03 AM

Eight or ten years ago, Mrs. from Georgia and I had been to some wanton frolic in Hotlanta and were cheesing it back to the sticks rather late at night. The highway that runs in front of the high school once attended by my now-graduated chilluns is not precisely rural, but the stray roving feral chicken or two isn't exactly a surprise, either. Anyway, it was late, or rather early in the morning, about two a.m. as I recall. I was driving.

Suddenly I asked my wife, "What's that in the road?"

Ahead some wavery, pale thing stretched completely across the lane, and it seemed to be . . . moving. I braked, and as we got closer, we saw it was a humongous, cream-and-orangey snake making its way across the highway, maybe a quarter of a mile from the school. It vanished in the undergrowth and woods. "Was that a snake?" I asked.

"Yes," my wife said. "A big one!"

My impression was that it had at one point had its nose on one shoulder of the highway and its tail on the other -- but that's impossible. Snakes of 25 feet just aren't that common. We drove home (a matter of a mile) and debated calling animal control, but as my wife pointed out, they would assume we were drunk.

That was in late summer. Six or eight weeks later, Mrs. from Georgia showed me an article in the paper about an enormous python that had been found dead in Flowery Branch*, the victim of sub-freezing weather. It was an albino and measured nearly ten feet nose to tail. It had escaped from its owner's home a couple of months earlier. I felt kind of sad that we hadn't called animal control, after all.

*Flowery Branch is a minor municipality, a kind of suburb of Oakwood, if you can imagine such a thing. Once a stop on the Southern Railroad, it consists today almost totally of antique stores that survive by selling old stuff to each other. Its other claim to fame is that the Atlanta Falcons train there, for all the good it does them.
Old 21 March 2008, 09:27 AM

Snake

Comment: I heard a story that a friend of a friend's pet annaconda (or
similar large snake) started to lose weight, being concerned she went to
the vet who told her snakes' sometimes lose weight to help the shedding of
the skin easier and not to worry too much. A week later (after still
having no appetitete), she found the snake completely streched out as in a
straight line in her bed. She went to the doctors even more concerned
about the snakes behavour, who told her that when a snake is about to have
the largest meal of its life, it would often starve themselves to make
room and will lie streched out next to the intended prey to see if the
food source will fit inside the snake, further more it was likely she only
had a few days left before the snake would of attempted to eat her!

I don't normally trust these friend of a friend stories but this one
sounds pretty scary and surely of interest if it is true for snake owners?
Old 01 April 2008, 11:28 AM

Fright

I'm not very knowledgeable about snakes, seeing as they scare the becheeses out of me, but surely it would be highly impractical to keep an anaconda as a pet? And are there any other snakes similar in size?

The first story has been doing the rounds on another board I visit. The OP didn't take to kindly to being told to go to some website called Snopes...
Old 01 April 2008, 04:29 PM

Keeping an anaconda isn't that impractical. They require a lot less space than you would think. A very large female Green can be well kept in an enclosure that is approx 8'x4'x2' but one that is 10'x4'x3' would be better. They don't move to much when they are big. They hardest thing about them is providing a water bowl big enough for them to soak in and making sure it's clean as they will spend about 80-90% of their time in the water. Not to say they are for beginners to the hobby, I would rate them for advanced keepers with a lot of experience with other large constrictors and knowledge of proper husbandry. And of course you must have protocols in place for any time you would need to handle a really big one, say one over 12 feet or so.

As for the second question, yes there are a few other species that are similar in size to the Green Anaconda, Eunectes murinis.

Amethystine or Scrub Python, Morelia amethistina
Indian and Burmese Pythons, Python molurus & ssp.
African Rock Python, P. sebea
Reticulated Python, P. reticulatus

None of them get as heavy as the Anaconda, but the Burmese and African Rocks can come close and the Reticulated python can get much longer but not nearly as heavy. All of them are fairly well represented in the reptile trade in the US but especially the Burmese and Reticulated pythons. None of them should be kept by the inexperienced if for no other reason than their size alone makes them dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

shivaskeeper
Old 07 April 2008, 12:08 AM

It's pretty ridiculous (IMO) to imagine that a predatory reptile might be able or willing to think far enough into the future to refuse food in preparation for more food. Most predatory animals eat whenever food is available and they are hungry- if they had it in their instincts to wait for "better" food, they might just starve to death instead.
Old 10 April 2008, 05:03 PM

Even aside from all the other nonsense that's been mentioned, eating less wouldn't give anything greater stomach capacity. If anything the snake should have been eating more, to work its way up to such a large amount of food, shouldn't it have?
Old 10 April 2008, 07:08 PM
Victoria J

Candy From Strangers - I think you're right.

Of course it is only a snake. If it was that good at forward planning it would invest in a tape measure.

Victoria J
Old 10 April 2008, 07:43 PM

Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria J View Post
Candy From Strangers - I think you're right.

Of course it is only a snake. If it was that good at forward planning it would invest in a tape measure.

Victoria J
I can just picture the snake unrolling one of those cloth ones (like a tailor uses) by pushing it with its face as it slithers next to the sleeping snake-owner.