snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 22 March 2008, 01:28 AM

Icon202 Obama on the telephone

When you are faking a pose for a camera photo opportunity, at least you can get the phone turned in the right direction!

And he wants to be President??? ???

Old 22 March 2008, 02:18 AM

Well the site on the stamp is IMAO (Motto "Unfair. Unbalanced. Unmedicated"), which seems to have lots of photoshopped pictures on its front page, and an entire section called "Newsish fakery" of made-up satirical stories about various candidates and politicians, again illustrated using photoshop...

(eta) I was going to say that I'm sure there was a similar picture of Bush holding a phone upside-down that was circulated before the last election.

I'm looking at Barack Obama's flikr site for the original, but there are over 16 000 photos (900+ pages) so I probably won't find it!

Last edited by Richard W; 22 March 2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 22 March 2008, 02:23 AM

Not only is it (presumably) a fake, it isn't even original. Someone did the Bush version a long time ago.

erwins
Old 22 March 2008, 02:28 AM

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of.

Most of the stuff on flikr seems to be of campaign meetings and stuff; I haven't seen many staged publicity photos. The original wasn't in the gallery on Barack Obama's website.

(eta) http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/bushphone.asp

Last edited by Richard W; 22 March 2008 at 02:34 AM.
Old 22 March 2008, 02:33 AM

I vote fake - Barack Hussein Obama would never be photographed with an American flag
Old 22 March 2008, 03:17 AM
JFB

Found it:

From here, though the photo is uncredited. I suspect it's a standard press photo that can also be found elsewhere.

Incidentally, this was the first photo to come up on a Google Images search for "Obama phone." (In fairness, however, it may not have been there when others here tried the same.)

ETA: That's weird. Looks like whoever 'Shopped it saw fit to put a clock on the wall.
Old 22 March 2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
ETA: That's weird. Looks like whoever 'Shopped it saw fit to put a clock on the wall.
The clock is showing 3:00. This is most likely a reference to Hillary Clinton's phone call at 3 AM ad.
Old 22 March 2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
Incidentally, this was the first photo to come up on a Google Images search for "Obama phone." (In fairness, however, it may not have been there when others here tried the same.)
I tried "Obama telephone", "Obama holding telephone", "Obama publicity photo telephone" - quite a few combinations and went through several pages each time! Just shows how a very slight difference in the search terms matters...
Old 22 March 2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekkerScout View Post
The clock is showing 3:00. This is most likely a reference to Hillary Clinton's phone call at 3 AM ad.
That was my thought also.

I always find these types of photoshops rather funny: the most prominent being the upside-down phone or the closed lens binoculars. The premise is supposed to be that the person is so interested in the photo-op that he does something which would be glaringly stupid even for a photo-op. Obama doesn't know how to actually hold a phone? Clinton doesn't realize that he's staring into closed binoculars and then just continues to do so? Even if you assume that the photos were only done for a photo-op, the outcome still makes no sense.
Old 22 March 2008, 03:44 PM
Barns & No Bull

Old 22 March 2008, 05:09 PM

Uh-oh - big, long feet - we know from the Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob poses as Krusty the Clown that goodhearted people have small feet, and people with long feet are evil.
Old 22 March 2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Uh-oh - big, long feet - we know from the Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob poses as Krusty the Clown that goodhearted people have small feet, and people with long feet are evil.
Oh, is that what people mean by "You know what they say about guys with big feet"?