snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 07 March 2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I'm always skeptical of people who claim to be able to tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi. Sure, if you had a glass of each from a bottle or can at room temperature and you tried them in succession, you could probably tell that there was some difference in flavor. But if you went into a restaurant, ordered a fountain Coke, and were served Pepsi instead (or vice versa) would you really be able to tell?

In seven years of waiting tables, I've yet to wait on someone who could.
I drink Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi and can easily tell the difference. They taste nothing like each other in my opinion. You can feel it differently on your tongue (if that makes any sense).
Old 07 March 2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
I drink Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi and can easily tell the difference. They taste nothing like each other in my opinion. You can feel it differently on your tongue (if that makes any sense).
I agree there. Diet Pepsi has quite a flour-like texture, at least to me.
Old 07 March 2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyfancypants View Post
Sidebar: When he left Pepsi for Coca Cola, he tried to give two weeks' notice. Pepsi told him to clear his desk and leave immediately.
That kind of thing happens very frequently when you move to the competition. I work for a real estate company and we usually hire the competition. We have to keep things real hush-hush before it gets announced because they will loose their original job when word gets around.
Old 07 March 2008, 01:28 PM

Coke and Pepsi taste nothing alike. To me Pepsi taste like flat coke, however I will drink both though I prefer Coke.

Its the same for Mountain Dew and Mellow Yellow, Sprite and Sierra Mist, Dr. Pepper and Mr. PIbb, they are going to taste different because both companies incorporate different ingredients as well as processing methods.

E*E
Old 07 March 2008, 01:46 PM

I am completely addicted to both (although I'm in a serious Dr. Pepper phase right now) and there's definitely a difference. Coke seems "sugarier" than Pepsi, and a bit heavier. I like both, however. I never understood why I'll go into a restaurant, ask for a coke and have the waiter/ess say, "Pepsi, okay?" I always wondered if anyone threw their napkin on the ground in disgust and yelled, "NEVER! Good day, madam!!"

I'll never forgive Coke for getting rid of Vanilla Coke, though. A piece of me died that day.
Old 07 March 2008, 01:47 PM

I can taste the difference between the two. I prefer Pepsi. To me, Coke tastes 'red' and Pepsi tastes 'pink' (but that might just be my synesthesia talking )
Old 07 March 2008, 01:50 PM

Hello Kitty

Thanks to my diabetes I don't get much chance to do taste tests anymore, but I have to say that I can tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke. My preference is Coke which has a sharp afterbite and (when not flat) a more gassy (bubbly) feel on my tongue. When it was still readily available, my second cola choice was Royal Crown cola. At that time, I could distinguish between all three.

Now, I mostly drink black cherry Diet Rite with Splenda.

Ali " I liked that sign idea too" Infree
Old 07 March 2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
I am completely addicted to both (although I'm in a serious Dr. Pepper phase right now) and there's definitely a difference. Coke seems "sugarier" than Pepsi, and a bit heavier. I like both, however. I never understood why I'll go into a restaurant, ask for a coke and have the waiter/ess say, "Pepsi, okay?" I always wondered if anyone threw their napkin on the ground in disgust and yelled, "NEVER! Good day, madam!!"
I don't say "never!" but I do change my order to something else, like a water or ginger ale, if it's Pepsi, because I don't like Diet Pepsi, only Diet Coke. It's a preference thing.
Old 07 March 2008, 02:31 PM

Beejtronic sez:
Quote:
I never understood why I'll go into a restaurant, ask for a coke and have the waiter/ess say, "Pepsi, okay?" I always wondered if anyone threw their napkin on the ground in disgust and yelled, "NEVER! Good day, madam!!"
Actually, I know a couple of fellow Cokaholics who do say, "No, it's not okay." One was a much loved boss of mine. I settle out for water mostly now, but I would be a third one for the not okay response.

Ali "hey, I am going there to eat after all" Infree
Old 07 March 2008, 03:02 PM

I could definitely tell the difference between bottled Coke or Pepsi, not so sure if I'd be able to tell the difference if they were dispensed from a fountain at a restaurant because restaurant sodas always taste different to me. It'd be interesting to test out though.
Old 07 March 2008, 03:29 PM

Neener, Neener

I once had a cokaholic colleague and I was very intrigued by the idea of making a hole in the bottom of a can of Coke, empty it, refill it with Pepsi, somehow seal it again and finally sneak it into his stash.

It would have been very interesting to see if he found out. Possibly the loss of carbon dioxide, that must have been a result of the process, would have given it away.
Old 07 March 2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtroni
I never understood why I'll go into a restaurant, ask for a coke and have the waiter/ess say, "Pepsi, okay?" I always wondered if anyone threw their napkin on the ground in disgust and yelled, "NEVER! Good day, madam!!"
We had to tell customers it was Pepsi when I worked at TGI Fridays. I was told it was a legal thing but I assume it was just company policy to avoid any complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki Worship
I can taste the difference between the two. I prefer Pepsi. To me, Coke tastes 'red' and Pepsi tastes 'pink' (but that might just be my synesthesia talking)
As far as I'm aware I don't have synesthesia, but I know exactly what your mean. Coke is definitely red, I can't quite pinpoint the colour of Pepsi, it's kinda a light sandy colour to me.
Old 07 March 2008, 05:24 PM
jason13

Quote:
I like both, however. I never understood why I'll go into a restaurant, ask for a coke and have the waiter/ess say, "Pepsi, okay?" I always wondered if anyone threw their napkin on the ground in disgust and yelled, "NEVER! Good day, madam!!"
Dactyl is right -- it's a legal thing, to prevent trademark dilution.

Quote:
I'll never forgive Coke for getting rid of Vanilla Coke, though. A piece of me died that day.
I have a can in front of it in front of me right now. It's still available in California.

Speaking of missing sodas... has anyone seen Fanta Apple or Pepsi Del Sol lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
When it was still readily available, my second cola choice was Royal Crown cola.
Diet Rite is RC's diet cola (and the first diet cola introduced). It's made with Splenda, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
It would have been very interesting to see if he found out. Possibly the loss of carbon dioxide, that must have been a result of the process, would have given it away.
Keep it cold -- cold reduces loss of carbonation.

I think it would work better if you replaced an opened bottle of Coke with the same amount of Pepsi.
Old 07 March 2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
When I was seriously drinking cola, I was definately a Pepsi person. Avoided Coke like the plague because it tasted like flat Pepsi. When I ate out, I would ask which they served. If Coke, I would politely decline and ask for tea or water.

My mother actually gets ill if she drinks fountain Coke, so she has to be careful.
Old 07 March 2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
I should have added that, while I find both to be absolutely rank and cannot tolerate drinking enough of either to discern a difference, I have come to accept that there are a fair number of people out there who can tell Diet Coke from Diet Pepsi in a blind taste test. Do they use different sugar substitutes?
Quote:
Pretty much. Most people will just wrinkle their noses and say something along the lines of, "No. Eeew. I'll have water." (Yes, I have seen adults in their forties make "eew" faces. It's not pretty.) But I have also had a few customers over the years who have walked out of the restaurant because we didn't have their cola of choice (usually Coke.)

At one point I started keeping a tally of the number of people per shift who would order a Coke (this restaurant served Pepsi) and would decline and order something else, usually tap water, when I told them what we had. I then multiplied it by the price of the soda (about two bucks) and, assuming an 18% tip average, calculated my lost income, assuming no one would send the drink back if I didn't tell them what it was. I realized I was losing over a hundred dollars a month, if my assumptions were correct.

So I decided to test the assumption that no one would be able to tell if I served them a Pepsi when they ordered a Coke. I've never outright lied if someone asked which one we carried, so maybe I have encountered people who could tell the difference, but were smart enough to inquire before placing their order. But so far, not a single person who has ordered a Pepsi or Coke and been served the other has noticed. In fact, they invariably order refills by the same name.

(Actually, I have had a few people who did receive the particular cola they ordered demand to know whether I had served them the other one. It always turns out there was something wrong with the machine; i.e. it was out of syrup, the carbonation was leaking, or, in one memorable case, there was mold in the fountain spout. Apparently, people who only drink one--or think they only drink one--tend to think the other is absolutely undrinkable!)
Old 07 March 2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I should have added that, while I find both to be absolutely rank and cannot tolerate drinking enough of either to discern a difference, I have come to accept that there are a fair number of people out there who can tell Diet Coke from Diet Pepsi in a blind taste test. Do they use different sugar substitutes?
Pretty much. Most people will just wrinkle their noses and say something along the lines of, "No. Eeew. I'll have water." (Yes, I have seen adults in their forties make "eew" faces. It's not pretty.) But I have also had a few customers over the years who have walked out of the restaurant because we didn't have their cola of choice (usually Coke.)

At one point I started keeping a tally of the number of people per shift who would order a Coke (this restaurant served Pepsi) and would decline and order something else, usually tap water, when I told them what we had. I then multiplied it by the price of the soda (about two bucks) and, assuming an 18% tip average, calculated my lost income, assuming no one would send the drink back if I didn't tell them what it was. I realized I was losing over a hundred dollars a month, if my assumptions were correct.

So I decided to test the assumption that no one would be able to tell if I served them a Pepsi when they ordered a Coke. I've never outright lied if someone asked which one we carried, so maybe I have encountered people who could tell the difference, but were smart enough to inquire before placing their order. But so far, not a single person who has ordered a Pepsi or Coke and been served the other has noticed. In fact, they invariably order refills by the same name.

(Actually, I have had a few people who did receive the particular cola they ordered demand to know whether I had served them the other one. It always turns out there was something wrong with the machine; i.e. it was out of syrup, the carbonation was leaking, or, in one memorable case, there was mold in the fountain spout. Apparently, people who only drink one--or think they only drink one--tend to think the other is absolutely undrinkable!)
Well, I know that if I order Diet Coke and get Diet Pepsi, I'll usually just take it. I'm not pleased about it, and it will affect my tip, but I don't make a big deal about it. I'll usually also ask for a water, though.

I remember taking a sip in a restaurant and turning to my sister and saying, "It's Diet Pepsi." She took a sip as well and agreed. We still ate, we just left most of the drinks there.

Nowadays, though, I don't get fountain drinks as much because of the mold in the spout thing. I'm allergic to household molds, and an exposure to that at McDonald's, where I worked, caused me weeks of stomach cramps and other symptoms before I discovered that the 24-hour drive thru spouts were never cleaned. I found horrendous mold in them. Since then I'm hypersensitive to the taste and can't bear the mold, so if we're in a dodgy place I ask for water straight off.

(It was the only time I ever harangued a manager (the one who had signed off that they had been cleaned for 6 months beforehand). I didn't get written up either. I was standing there with a moldy spount in my hand...)
Old 07 March 2008, 07:00 PM
zephyra

Esprise Me, that's interesting. I can definitely taste the difference, but to me they're equally tasty. Did you ever get to do a similar experiment with Mr Pibb? I find that a lot of people find it revolting.

BTW, is Dr Pepper as popular everywhere else as it is here in Texas/Louisiana? Or is just so popular here because it's made in Waco?
Old 07 March 2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason13 View Post
I have a can in front of it in front of me right now. It's still available in California.
Y- You what? Am I gonna have to travel over to California with an 18-wheeler?

Ooh, according to wiki, they're phasing it back in! Maybe it'll come back!
Old 07 March 2008, 08:10 PM
k9skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class Bravo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see a sign like that in the South of the US. While I was there I noticed that colloquially the word "Coke" referred not necessarily to Coca-Cola, but rather to denote any type of soft drink regardless of the brand.
My favorite is when you ask for a 'coke' the server asks what type of 'coke' do you want, and then lists all the Coca Cola products the restaurant carries. All soda down here is referred to as 'coke'.
And all ice tea is sweet , you have to ask for unsweetened tea. I hate sweet tea, ick!

k9skippy
Old 07 March 2008, 08:24 PM
zephyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9skippy View Post
My favorite is when you ask for a 'coke' the server asks what type of 'coke' do you want, and then lists all the Coca Cola products the restaurant carries. All soda down here is referred to as 'coke'.
And all ice tea is sweet , you have to ask for unsweetened tea. I hate sweet tea, ick!

k9skippy
Yes! I prefer my tea unsweet with lemon.

I don't know why but I'd rather call all carbonated beverages "Coke" than "Pop". Somehow "Pop" just annoys the tar out of me.