snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 05 November 2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjava View Post
*SNORT* If they had fed the rabbit Trix instead of Froot Loops you would SOOOOO OMANK!!
Nooooooo, but this is Bella's favorite brand of pellet; Zupreem Avian Maintenance formula fruitblend (although she prefers the budgie/parakeet size, minus the banana shaped bits).

Old 05 November 2007, 04:59 PM

Sometimes our hamster ran out of food and the shops were shut for a bank holiday weekend (these days there is always a shop open, but not back then). On those occasions the emergency hamster ration was mums homemade muesli. On an occasional basis it wouldn't be unhealthy - it was unsweetened and contained no dried skimmed milk/whey powder. My sister, the hamster's owner, even tried hamster food with milk to see if it made a substitute for her breakfast muesli - fortunately for the little golden tyrant, little sis didn't like it!

The hamster food was only sold in ridiculously small boxes and his habit of storing caches around our bedrooms meant it could run out unpredictably. Long after his death we were finding little stores of hamster food
Old 05 November 2007, 05:16 PM

In a pinch, most cereals are just fine for birds so long as you watch the sugars, sodium, fats, and zinc levels. A daily diet of cooked foods like rice, a little pasta, and lots of fresh veggies and fruits with some protein like eggs and chicken, and a little nuts and seeds tossed, is great for birds. As long as the diet is adjusted to meet the needs of the species, and the energy level of the bird itself. However, a wee cinnamon-whiteface 'Tiel (not naming names) is a PICKY PANTS and only eats pellets, some seeds, expensive freeze-dried veggies, and will scarf down junk food and cereal like there is no tomorrow.
ETA: The aforementioned picky pants will not touch bird bread so as a way of convincing her to eat veggies, this doesn't work. However she loves leafy greens, and so nutritionally she gets enough. It is my dad we have to worry about in this household. Lucky for my mom, bird bread works wonders at getting him to scarf down veggies without even realizing it.
Old 06 November 2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Quigley View Post
For some reason, when I read the thread title I parsed it as "eat themselves/to death" - as in, dogs and humans are the only animals that will commit autocannibalism until they die. Did anyone else read it this way, or should I start looking into mental hospitals?
That's the way I read it too but that's even more of an indication that you should look into the mental hospital thing;-)
Old 06 November 2007, 08:14 PM

Our older cat would eat herself to death if we let her. She scarfs down her food like she hasn't eaten in weeks when we feed her, and when she's finished, she tries to eat our younger cats leftovers. We have to be very careful about the portions we allow her. She gained far too much weight when we first adopted her, luckily she's slimming back down again with some low-fat low-calorie food and reduced portions.

Our younger cat barely eats at all and she's a little slip of a cat. I suggest she's just too interested in playing and doing things than eating so she eats until she's satisfied then goes on her merry way. We have to be careful to put her food away once she's finished so that the glutton doesn't get at it.
Old 09 January 2008, 06:41 PM

What does the UL mean about humans eating themselves to death? Do they mean obesity, or have there been cases of people eating so much in one sitting that their stomachs rupture?
Old 10 January 2008, 02:44 PM
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeondragon18 View Post
What does the UL mean about humans eating themselves to death? Do they mean obesity, or have there been cases of people eating so much in one sitting that their stomachs rupture?
I think they're talking single-sitting here otherwise it would be an obvious falsie. I've seen all manner of obese animals (squirrels, horses, cats, etc.) so we can't be talking about cholesterol and heart disease issues.