snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 29 November 2007, 12:20 AM

Icon18 Adolph Hitler, Colorado landowner

Comment: I heard that Adolf Hitler owned 9,000 acres of land in Colorado.
He inherited it from some relatives. Is this true?
Old 30 November 2007, 12:00 AM

I so dislike quoting Wikipedia, but in this case the only cite I could find in books was from "Never Knew That About Colorado" by Abbott Fay, which wasn't readily available to me, but since some of the facts include "the man who wore out his coffin, Adolf Hitler's Colorado ranch, and the bombing of Colorado in World War II" I am dubious.

So the Wiki quote:

....As with many historical figures, legends abound about Adolf Hitler. In 1975, Irving Wallace and David Wallechinsky wrote in the first edition of The People's Almanac that Hitler had once been the owner of land near the town of Kit Carson, Colorado. Following up on the story, Los Angeles Times investigative reporter Steve Harvey concluded that there was no truth to it.

Wikipedia has the cites from teh original People's Almanac and from the LA Times story.

Without reading more of the background, I'd be skeptical...who would Adolf have inherited from? I've never heard of him having any family in the US.
Old 30 November 2007, 12:42 AM

Icon18

It appears that the origin of the story was that land belonging a Colorado cattleman was claimed via lien by heirs in Germany (or somewhere else within the Reich), and (for unknown reasons) the German government took over the land from the heirs. Saying that Hitler personally owned the land is a bit of a stretch, like claiming that George W. Bush owns Yellowstone National Park.

- snopes
Old 30 November 2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorsam View Post
I've never heard of him having any family in the US.
IIRC he had, but it was his nephews.
Old 30 November 2007, 09:24 AM
hevach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
IIRC he had, but it was his nephews.
This is correct. His brother came either to the US or England during the war and spoke against the Nazi regime. His family does live in the US now. They did an interview for the History Channel at some point, but they hid their faces. The remaining members of the family have changed their last name and moved several times to hide their relation. They most definitely wouldn't have left anything to him in their wills.

Nothing really new - some of Saddam Hussein's family fled here, and at least one member of Bin Laden's extended family as well. I had a history teacher in college who joked that the US likes to collect the families of enemy dictators.
Old 30 November 2007, 03:07 PM

Maybe this land is where Elvis and Jimmy Hoffa are living now.
Old 30 November 2007, 03:12 PM

Maybe he was confusing Adolph Coors with Adolf Hitler.

Nick
Old 06 December 2007, 12:03 AM

Icon102

The History Channel program was titled, "Hitler's Family." It was Hitler's nephew, the son of his older half-brother, Alois Hitler Jr., named William Patrick Hitler who came to the U.S. around 1940 with his mom, Briget. Wm. Patrick later changed his name, married, and had a family. The great-nephews and great-nieces don't want their identies revealed because it will only cause them to be ostracized.

However, it is not know if they own any ranch in Colorado.

B. A. Rainey
Old 24 December 2007, 02:40 AM
Seraphina

If somebody died and left his land to somebody in Germany, it is possible that if they were Jewish or for other reason not in favor with the regime, the land would have been confiscated by the state. As did all the possessions of anybody sent to concentration camps.