snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Old 18 September 2007, 02:43 PM

Colleague's uncle was declared dead and his kidney was being removed when it was noticed he was producing tears. I think he went on to recover (it was prior to the days of checking for brain activity).
Old 18 September 2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabohly View Post
Also, he sould be grateful that the autopsy was done. They could have just buried him. Imagine him waking up then.
That would be the plot of a couple of other movies and Hitchcock shows.
Old 18 September 2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensible Crier View Post
Random bit of trivia but this exact situation happened in a episode of CSI a few years back. At the morgue they cut into a patient, noticed he was actively bleeding and resusitated him. Hopefully it works out better for this guy because the one on CSI died (again) later in the episode.
Similar thing in NCIS - a marine had supposedly frozen to death and woke up on Duckie's autopsy table. The marine had been brain damaged by almost freezing and was later taken off life support.
Old 18 September 2007, 05:50 PM

I thought in the SK story, the doctor's aide was doing the actual autopsy, with the doctor looking on. The Dr. said that sometimes erections happened after death, and they were going on with the autopsy when someone came in and said that a snake had been found in the guys golf bag. And the bite from the snake cause paralysis... So they checked for snake bites and the guy was saved....
Old 18 September 2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruwan2b View Post
I thought in the SK story, the doctor's aide was doing the actual autopsy, with the doctor looking on. The Dr. said that sometimes erections happened after death, and they were going on with the autopsy when someone came in and said that a snake had been found in the guys golf bag. And the bite from the snake cause paralysis... So they checked for snake bites and the guy was saved....
It's been a while since I read the story. But I checked it on wiki. The doctor in charge is absent mindedly examining the...uh, patient, when another doctor comes in to announce the discovery of the paralysis causing snake. The doctor doing the autopsy looks down to discover herself holding the man's penis.
Old 18 September 2007, 06:14 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Colleague's uncle was declared dead and his kidney was being removed when it was noticed he was producing tears. I think he went on to recover (it was prior to the days of checking for brain activity).
Hmmm... sounds FOAF. I would think that the attendings would notice the continued bleeding as a sign of life before tears ever began. Corpses tend to not bleed when cut into.
Old 18 September 2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
Hmmm... sounds FOAF. I would think that the attendings would notice the continued bleeding as a sign of life before tears ever began. Corpses tend to not bleed when cut into.
Not FOAF this time (colleague, btw, is ex-family). The sort of corpses that organs get harvested from tend to be fresh enough to seep even if they don't spurt (these days, many are kept even fresher by life support - the body lives though the brain is dead and this can really mess with the minds of nurses). The doctors couldn't find a pulse or measure blood pressure and couldn't get reflexes so uncle was declared dead. I can't recall what uncle had, I'm guessing paralysis after a stroke, but not really on talking terms with ex-family to find out. As well as being a very, very nasty experience for the victim, it was traumatic for his family.

The same misdiagnosis of death happened to my maternal grandfather after his 2nd heart attack, but in his case, straight after being declared dead he asked for a cup of tea (he died a few hours later). The nurse almost keeled over in shock when the "corpse" spoke, which I hope granddad (bless him) appreciated.
Old 20 September 2007, 10:17 PM
UnDeRsLuNkY

Vanishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
You know when you put "grateful" and "dead" in the same sentence that way, you give me earworms.
Jerry Garcia would be happy to hear it!
Old 21 September 2007, 03:05 PM

I watched the episode of Heroes last night where Claire was killed by the quarterback and didn't wake up till the coroner took the branch out of her head. She woke up with the Y incision wide open. The poor coroner turned around to find the "body" gone.

I'd imagine that's the worst nightmare for any coroner. For a body to "wake up" so to speak.
Old 22 September 2007, 03:09 AM

Neener, Neener

Quote:
You know when you put "grateful" and "dead" in the same sentence that way, you give me earworms.
Every silver lining has a ... touch of grey.

And the video for this song seems strangely appropriate for this thread, no?
Old 22 September 2007, 06:02 AM
rynder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucanary View Post
I watched the episode of Heroes last night where Claire was killed by the quarterback and didn't wake up till the coroner took the branch out of her head. She woke up with the Y incision wide open. The poor coroner turned around to find the "body" gone.

I'd imagine that's the worst nightmare for any coroner. For a body to "wake up" so to speak.
I just watched that one! The only thing I kept thinking about for the rest of the episode was that the coroner probably went crazy.

I remember having a coroner speak about her job once. She told us (jokingly.. I hope) that the eyelids snap open from time to time during the procedure.
Old 22 September 2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynder View Post
I just watched that one! The only thing I kept thinking about for the rest of the episode was that the coroner probably went crazy.

I remember having a coroner speak about her job once. She told us (jokingly.. I hope) that the eyelids snap open from time to time during the procedure.
*crosses "coroner" off list of possible future jobs*
Old 24 September 2007, 02:28 AM

Supposedly, it was once very common (up until the 80s, according to a mortician friend) to do a single small cut on the upper chest and wait a minute before doing an embalming if an autopsy wasn't performed. He claimed to have one elderly gentleman show on his table still alive!
Old 24 September 2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynder View Post
It's true. That's why back in the old days, people would put silver dollars on the eyes of the dead, to hold the eyelids closed.
Old 25 September 2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banrion View Post
It's true. That's why back in the old days, people would put silver dollars on the eyes of the dead, to hold the eyelids closed.
So it's not to pay the ferryman?
Old 25 September 2007, 02:22 AM

Borg

Quote:
So it's not to pay the ferryman?
That's one superstition, sometimes the coin was placed on the tongue for the same reason.

Now morticians have little plastic devices that keep the eyelids held shut. Not only would an eyelid opening freak people out (could happen as the skin dries out), but dead eyes are pretty disturbing.
Old 04 October 2007, 02:29 AM
joshxrt22

Default whoa

Holy Jesus, that's horrible.

Next time, check his pulse before ordering an autopsy....sheesh.....
Old 04 October 2007, 10:27 AM

Default From personal experience

Slight hijack, but do you know that branch loppers work great for taking off the chest plate (the entire rib cage)? That's what we used at the hospital I worked at. I loved telling that story to my co-workers in the Sear's Lawn and Garden department after I went back to school (different part of the state, so I had to quit the hospital).
Old 04 October 2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra View Post
That's one superstition, sometimes the coin was placed on the tongue for the same reason.

Now morticians have little plastic devices that keep the eyelids held shut. Not only would an eyelid opening freak people out (could happen as the skin dries out), but dead eyes are pretty disturbing.
And a stitch is put throught the lower jaw to hold it shut when loved ones come to identify or view a body. A stitch is less unsightly than the old method of tying a string round the head. (This was on Life of Grime on TV a few years back ) If you watch archeology shows you'll notice that most skulls are found with the jaw dropped open which sometimes got mistaken for a person dying screaming because they were buried alive.
Old 12 October 2007, 01:15 PM
Lightningdan

This thread reminds me of a movie where puffer fish venom is used to make a voodoo powder that causes people to get buried alive and dug up and made slaves to the voodoo doctor. One amusing anecdote in the movie was that a commercial version of the powder could be used as an surgical anesthesia called "Zombinol"..