snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 07 August 2007, 03:45 AM

Shifty Eyes Don Mueck

Ron Mueck is a London-based photo-realist artist. Born in Melbourne , Australia , to parents who were toy makers, he labored on children's television shows for 15 years before working in special effects for such films as Labyrinth, a 1986 fantasy epic starring David Bowie.

Mueck then started his own company in London, making models to be photographed for advertisements. He has lots of the dolls he made during his advertising years stored in his home. Although some still have a presence on their own. Many were made just to be photographed from a particular angle -one strip of a face, for example, with a lot of loose material lurking an inch outside the camera's frame.

Eventually Mueck concluded that photography pretty much destroys the physical presence of the original object, and so he turned to fine art and sculpture.

In the early 1990's, still in his advertising days, Mueck was commissioned to make something highly realistic, and was wondering what material would do the trick. Latex was the usual, but he wanted something harder, more precise. Luckily, he saw a little architectural decor on the wall of a boutique and inquired as to the nice, pink stuff's nature. Fiberglass resin was the answer, and Mueck has made it his bronze and marble ever since.

The attention to detail and sheer technical brilliance of his figures are incredible, but it is Mueck's use of scale that takes your breath away..

Ron Mueck's work became world-famous when a poignant sculpture of his dead fathers small, naked body caused shock waves in the Royal Academy'SSensation exhibition in 1997.

His work is lifelike but not life size, and being face to face with the tiny, gossiping Two Women (2005) or the monumental woman In Bed (2005) is an unforgettable experience

Mueck's huge 4.5m crouching Boy was the centerpiece of the Millennium Dome in London and of the Venice Biennale in 2001. The artist's work is becoming ever more intriguing, ranging from smaller-than-life size naked figures to much larger, but never actual, life size.

Consequently his hyper-realistic sculptures in fiberglass and silicone, while extraordinarily lifelike, challenge us by their odd scale. The psychological confrontation for the viewer is to recognize and assimilate two contradictory realities.

Old 07 August 2007, 03:46 AM

Shifty Eyes

Old 07 August 2007, 06:15 AM
kohldampf

This guy is amazing. I did a small presentation on him for one of my classes, and it freaked everybody in the class out.

He was also Ludo the yeti's voice in Labyrinth. Awesome.
Old 07 August 2007, 07:53 AM

I saw his work in Edinburgh last year (Indeed, I think a few of the photos are from his Edinburgh exhibit). Some truely amzing stuff, can be quite unsettling. While I can confirm all the details, the general gist of them seems accurate from what I remember reading at the exhibition.
Old 07 August 2007, 11:19 AM
Ditte

The last sculpture in the first photo, "Boy", is currently on display at our local museum, Aros. It sends shivers down my spine everytime I see it, I love it.
Old 07 August 2007, 12:05 PM
Hypno Toad

Wow, absolutely stunning work.

HT
Old 07 August 2007, 05:30 PM
Danamac448

Last sculpture in the second post, the one of the newborn baby, totally freaks me the NFBSK out!!!

'Course, I have this completely irrational and crippling fear of babies, soooooo.....
Old 07 August 2007, 05:36 PM

That is too flipping cool!
Old 07 August 2007, 05:36 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. These are fantastic. Mueck is an incredibly talented artist!
Old 07 August 2007, 06:00 PM

Yeah this guy is amazing, I'd love to get to see some of his work in person, the realism is astonishing. I'd especially love to see the Crouching Boy sculpture.

Last edited by Syllavus; 07 August 2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07 August 2007, 06:50 PM
Neffti

Thanks for posting this, it's fantastic.

Another item for my gigantic "must see" list *sighs*