snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 12 February 2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
For the moment, only the one brother is talking to him. We found him. He didn't reach out to us. We're afraid if we all try and contact him at once, and interrogate him about when what and why, he'll spook out, and disappear again.
My sympathy goes out to your brother. Just having contact with one member of a group he clearly does not want to interact with may be extremely stressful to him, and the very idea that you and other family members feel that you want to "interrogate" him makes me deeply uneasy. The idea that your family members would potentially pressure him so much that you believe it would make him give up his job and his home of nearly 20 years is appalling to me. Assuming that your brother is mentally healthy and competent, and you have at this time given no reason to assume that is not the case, he has every right to live the life he has chosen and any contact (or continued lack of it) should be firmly in his control.

You said that you wanted to know if he was alive and well, and you have that information now. You got what you wanted, please do not potentially destroy your brother's life just to ease your further curiosity.
Old 12 February 2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
You said that you wanted to know if he was alive and well....
Yes, I did. Is there something unnatural or unhealthy about that?

Quote:
and you have that information now.
Yes, we do, and I'm glad to have it.

Quote:
please do not potentially destroy your brother's life just to ease your further curiosity.
"Just" to ease my curiosity?? Well excuse me. He's my brother. I love him dearly. I missed him. I wondered if he was safe, hoppy, hell, alive. So did our parents.

None of us, save for the one brother who did contact him have called him, We are not going to until he says it's OK. We've all already agreed we'll not ask any questions as to why he felt the need to leave as he did. If he doesn't want to talk to me, I'll not call him.

I absolutely reject your inference of ill and selfish intent.
Old 12 February 2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
I absolutely reject your inference of ill and selfish intent.
I directly quoted you in my previous post. You chose to use words and phrases like "interrogate" and "he'll spook out, and disappear again". Your wording appears to repeatedly reinforce that you want this information and/or connection and that your brother does not. If that was not your intention I apologize, but again, you used extremely strong and specific wording.

Edit:

Quote:
None of us, save for the one brother who did contact him have called him, We are not going to until he says it's OK. We've all already agreed we'll not ask any questions as to why he felt the need to leave as he did. If he doesn't want to talk to me, I'll not call him.
Not all of this information was not in your original post, and has a considerably different tone than your first post.

Edit:

Clarified my own wording.

Last edited by Kallah; 12 February 2019 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12 February 2019, 01:37 AM

When Dr. Rocket used the word "interrogate," it was clear to me that he was describing the behavior that he and his brothers are avoiding.
Old 12 February 2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
The test is pretty simple. Were they alive when the other person was alive? If no, then they couldnít possibly have known them. Guaranteed any children now living fall into that category for both world wars. Theyíre memorializing people they have no memory of.
There was a guy behind the hotel bar last night, who looked as though he was in his early 20s, who had a poppy (on a stem) tattooed up the length of his inner left arm from wrist to elbow, with the words "Lest we forget" in large script...
Old 12 February 2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
There was a guy behind the hotel bar last night, who looked as though he was in his early 20s, who had a poppy (on a stem) tattooed up the length of his inner left arm from wrist to elbow, with the words "Lest we forget" in large script...
I admit I don't really understand the problem. I don't know anyone personally (that I met) who died in the Holocaust, does that make it inappropriate to shed tears for them when at a memorial? To imagine the suffering a person went through in their final moments (or years), even if you don't know them personally?
At an old graveyard, I came across headstones for very young babies that had died, and one that coincided with the death of the mother. I felt empathy for her despite obviously not knowing her and never knowing of her prior to seeing this graveyard. I think this is a natural extension of human empathy. I understand that the romanticization of war as a concept is a problem, and thus romanticizing the deaths of soldiers, but I don't think the lack of direct personal contact is a problem.
Old 12 February 2019, 04:38 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Boy though, it sure is GOOD to know he's alive and well.
I had a sibling disappear for 18 years under similar circumstances. We'd get hints that he was alive (a bill for hospital care, a call for a job reference etc) every couple of years.

In 2013, after the passing of our father, we finally managed to re-establish contact. We were reluctant to jump into a potentially uncomfortable relationship. We took plenty of time and only advanced at the pace we were all comfortable with. And all us siblings now have a growing relationship.

I'm very happy for you DrRocket. I've been in your shoes and can understand completely.

There is no rush, you have the rest of your lives to build that connection.

Old 12 February 2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
When Dr. Rocket used the word "interrogate," it was clear to me that he was describing the behavior that he and his brothers are avoiding.
Agreeing with this. It read to me in that first post that Dr. Rocket and his brothers are not initiating contact (except for the one brother) because they're afraid that doing so would be perceived as intrusive interrogation.

I wish the parents had been able to know that their son's alive. But of course we don't know (and it's none of our business to know) what may have set off the disappearance.

I have a sister who refuses contact with me and with the rest of the family (with the exception of her own descendents, who she basically took out of the family with her.) But at least we know she's alive, and appears to be living in general location and circumstances of her own choice.
Old 12 February 2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
which is kind of the point isnít it? Itís about a cultural and persistent socieatal memory to ensure the horrific mistakes of the past are never repeated.

That being said, the use of the poppy is not restricted to those that fell in the two world wars. People are still getting killed and that chap serving at the bar might have had it to commemorate a close family member or friend.
Old 13 February 2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
which is kind of the point isnít it? Itís about a cultural and persistent socieatal memory to ensure the horrific mistakes of the past are never repeated.
Except that it often seems to be a way of claiming that the horrific mistakes of the past were heroic; and therefore increases the chance of repeating them.

I don't know what the individual person meant by the tattoo. But, at least in the USA, military remembrance ceremonies seem to generally be all about the heroism and the comradeship. Not about the waste. And not about preventing horrific mistakes.
Old 13 February 2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
But, at least in the USA, military remembrance ceremonies seem to generally be all about the heroism and the comradeship. Not about the waste. And not about preventing horrific mistakes.
I’m reminded of how the titular character in Johnny Got His Gun wanted to be put on display, like in a freak show. The brass didn’t go for it, of course. Still, I really digged Donal Sutherland's performance as Jesus Christ.

This has got to be my favorite scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AiFczKckL0
Old 13 February 2019, 12:20 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
But, at least in the USA, military remembrance ceremonies seem to generally be all about the heroism and the comradeship. Not about the waste. And not about preventing horrific mistakes.
I think this might be a key difference between our two countries. Here, it is still focussed largely on the loss of life. Many Remembrance Day ceremonies here have readings of letters from the trenches (from WWI), in an effort to not lose the human contact we had with those that were killed.

In Remembrance Day, at least, the jingoism and over use of the word "hero" is not so pronounced. It is getting there on other days, but for the present, Remembrance Day seems to be still about remembering those that died in conflict.

I did a Veteran's Day in Oklahoma one year and was surprised when it was also the date of a medal parade where Silver Stars and Bronze Stars were awarded for actions dating as far back as Vietnam. It was less a commemoration and more of a celebration.
Old 13 February 2019, 01:23 PM

I spend Memorial Day at the Indy 500 every year. They spend some time on honoring memorial day before the race, but I don't know that they ever use the word hero. If they do, its not often.
Old 13 February 2019, 01:28 PM

To be fair, it's not as if I've been to a large sampling of these things from all over the USA. I'm going in large part on what I read in the news.

ETA: but I don't think I've ever either seen, or read about, such a service at which a significant point was made of 'that entire war (or even that specific battle) was a horrific mistake, remember all those wasted lives and let's not do that again.'

They don't sing Waltzing Matilda. They don't sing Johnny Got His Gun. I suspect there'd be a huge outcry if they did any such thing.

Maybe they do in some countries, or even some place in the USA; I don't know.

Last edited by thorny locust; 13 February 2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 18 February 2019, 04:59 PM

Last night, a car hit my neighbor's truck parked in front of my house (I live in a fourplex). It's the second time this has happened this year (different neighbor's car the other other time). There's nothing particularly difficult about this section of street, no sharp curves, and cars are parked on the street all up and down this neighborhood, so I'm not sure what's so special about my house.

My wife and I were actually playing a video game where you intentionally crash cars, when we heard the crash outside. The driver's car suffered a lot more damage than the parked pickup truck (which is quite large). He was disoriented, possibly in shock, and didn't speak English very well, so we never found out why he lost control. It was raining, but the roads didn't feel very slick. My wife says she thought she smelled alcohol, but I don't know. We called the police, and stayed with the guy until the ambulance arrived.
Old 18 February 2019, 06:38 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
It was raining, but the roads didn't feel very slick.
What doesn't feel slick to your feet may well be slick to car tires.

Seaboe
Old 18 February 2019, 06:53 PM

True. I'm wondering how fast he was going (speed limit is 30), because he pushed the truck a few feet onto the lawn.
Old 21 February 2019, 12:19 PM

Whalephant

Guest, approaching the desk: Oh no! (In a good-humored voice) My keys have deactivated! Can you help me?

Me: That's not good. Did you try sacrifying a goat first?

Him (after a pause): No!! It was a chicken. Was that wrong?

Me (making new keys): Yes, I'm afraid only goats work in Arizona.

Him: I didn't know that!

Me, nodding and giving him his new keys.: I'm afraid so.

He thanked me and left.

Work is always better when I interact with guests who have senses of humor.
Old 21 February 2019, 02:28 PM

Glasses

Kitap,
I had one weekend when my keys deactivated just about every time I left the building; sadly, I never ran into anyone at the front desk with as good a sense of humor as you (it turned out they had a misbehaving exterior door. Every time I tried to use my card at that door, it wiped it).

Seaboe
Old 22 February 2019, 08:28 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Kitap,
I had one weekend when my keys deactivated just about every time I left the building; sadly, I never ran into anyone at the front desk with as good a sense of humor as you (it turned out they had a misbehaving exterior door. Every time I tried to use my card at that door, it wiped it).

Seaboe
Most front desk agents I've worked with don't have much of one. Or at least they keep it firmly hidden. For me, humor also helps directions, etc. seem less robotic.

Back when our registration cards were a different style they had this block of text at the bottom. Mostly people looked at it and asked what it said. I would explain and, if they seemed friendly, would add "and we get your first-born child. Little things like that." I got a lot of very enthusiastic "okay!!" replies.