snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 13 June 2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
On my way home yesterday I saw a sports car I was completely unable to identify.
Lotus Elite (the old "type 14" style)?

I don't know American cars to try to answer Seaboe's question!
Old 13 June 2018, 06:44 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Lotus Elite (the old "type 14" style)?
Hmm, that could be it. The race car pictured under the "Motor Sport" section of the Wikipedia article, captioned "A Lotus Elite in racing trim", looks kind of like what I saw, particularly the shape of the grille and hood, and I might be misremembering the pop-up lights. The one I saw was actually was red with a white racing stripe up the middle.
Old 14 June 2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Since the car buffs are congregating here, maybe you can help me. This thread made me curious about my mother's station wagon. It was a Buick, purchased new in 1964.
The Buick Special seems to be the body size that slotted in below the Skylark. There's a walkaround video of one here.

Quote:
On my way home yesterday I saw a sports car I was completely unable to identify. It had a sort of rounded, yet curvy styling reminiscent of some 1960s sports cars like the Jaguar E-Type.
A 2000GT perhaps?

My own similar question - in the 80s my dad had a small two door hatchback. I could have sworn it was a Buick, but I haven't found anything in their lineup from the late 70s or early 80s that resembles what I remember - my recollection of it is that it looked something like a cross between a Mk. 1 Golf and the wagon (non-bubble car) version of the Pacer. Any thoughts?
Old 14 June 2018, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Since the car buffs are congregating here, maybe you can help me. This thread made me curious about my mother's station wagon. It was a Buick, purchased new in 1964. What made it unusual was that it was smaller than the standard station wagon. I've gone looking for images of Buick station wagons from that period, but all of the pictures I'm seeing (Skylarks & SportWagons), are either extended or have these weird extra windows on and near the roof. My mother's car very definitely did not have those. Anybody interested in searching for a different kind?

Seaboe
Those upper windows also came on the Oldsmobile Cutlass station wagons which were called Vista Cruisers. I owned two of them in the late eighties, early nineties. (I wish I hadn't sold them. ) Those were the top of the line models, and were quite popular in their day. There WERE models made without those windows. They were base models, and weren't nearly as popular. Ironically, that means they're quite a bit more rare than the ones with the vista style upper windows.

Go search for "1964 buick special station wagon", go to images, scroll down a bit, and you'll see example of the style without those upper windows. They're rare, but they are out there.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Hmm, that could be it. The race car pictured under the "Motor Sport" section of the Wikipedia article, captioned "A Lotus Elite in racing trim", looks kind of like what I saw, particularly the shape of the grille and hood, and I might be misremembering the pop-up lights. The one I saw was actually was red with a white racing stripe up the middle.
Doing a Google image search, the car I saw looked very much like this 1959 Lotus Elite. I can't remember if it had racing numbers on the doors as I was mostly looking at the front, but it was exactly that red and white color scheme. Given the relative rarity of that car I'm beginning to wonder if this is the exact car I saw. Assuming what I saw was in fact a Lotus Elite, that is.
Old 14 June 2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
My own similar question - in the 80s my dad had a small two door hatchback. I could have sworn it was a Buick, but I haven't found anything in their lineup from the late 70s or early 80s that resembles what I remember - my recollection of it is that it looked something like a cross between a Mk. 1 Golf and the wagon (non-bubble car) version of the Pacer. Any thoughts?
A Skyhawk hatchback, perhaps? The rear is rather Pacer-like, IMO.
Old 14 June 2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Hmm, that could be it. The race car pictured under the "Motor Sport" section of the Wikipedia article, captioned "A Lotus Elite in racing trim", looks kind of like what I saw, particularly the shape of the grille and hood, and I might be misremembering the pop-up lights.
I'd originally thought of the first Elan, which is a similar shape and does have pop-up lights but doesn't have the oval grille. Sounds like it was somewhere in-between, but I thought it was easier to get the lights wrong than to imagine the distinctive grille! It could be something completely different though...
Old 14 June 2018, 02:22 PM

Glasses

Last night on the way home, I saw 6 electric cars and 6 Priuses, some of which were parked. Then, walking the dog, I saw three Priuses and a Spark all on one block. Lastly, I saw one of those old Volkswagon station wagons painted to look like an aquarium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Go search for "1964 buick special station wagon",
Last night, while walking the dog, I pinned down the history of the Satterlund parental unit car ownership history.

Sometime after they got married (1955) and before they moved to Pullman (1964), they bought a green station wagon. I don't know what make or model, since I was not around when they purchased it, and have no memory of the car--although I've seen it in pictures. I used to have the receipt from the dealer for this car, and AFAIR, it cost about $700.

In 1963 or 64, they bought the Buick, which my sister confirms was a Special. I'm pretty sure it was the base model, with rear seat belts added. My mother liked it because it wasn't as big as a regular station wagon. My inclination is to think they bought this in 1964, in preparation for the move to Pullman, as we drove cross-country from Michigan.

Once we were settled in Pullman and they could afford it, we got a cream colored Plymouth Valiant, which as I said yesterday, was the only car we ever owned without rear seat belts. This makes me think we may have bought it used, or at least straight off the lot.

The Valiant was replaced by a Dodge Coronet Custom sometime around 1970-71. It was dark green and despite the color, was a real lemon. My father hated that car because it was so unreliable (he had an often expressed opinion that Plymouths were better than Dodges).

We lost the Buick in 1972 (did $900 damage to a $700 car by bending the frame), and it was replaced by a 1973 Plymouth Fury II, tomato red with a black interior. It had a 400 cc engine and trailer towing package. This was my mother's dream car, insofar as she dreamed about cars. It had its issues (for one thing, the power steering and power brakes ceased to work if the engine died), but she loved it because it was built like a tank.

The rest of the car history isn't very interesting. My dad got rid of the Coronet in favor of a pick-up truck (used, from the city, so it was painted a very interesting shade of yellow-orange) that was followed, eventually, by a 1984 Toyota small pickup that he owned until he died in 2010.

The Fury was around until the mid 80s, when it was replaced first by a Reliant K car, and then by a Toyota Camry. In both color and shape, the Reliant and Camry were very similar. My older nephew eventually ended up with the Camry, which was totaled in a non-injury accident that we never told my father about (my mother was gone by that time).

Since neither my sister nor I managed to pass our driving test in the Fury, my father went out one day in 1979 and came home with a Chevy Shove-it (aka Chevette). Both of us had our licenses within two weeks.

My dad hated the Chevette, which was an automatic, so one day he and my mother drove to Spokane in the Chevette and drove home in a brand new 1981 Honda Accord. Sometime in the 90s, the Accord was sold on, and I have no idea what happened to it. My brother's Accord (same year, same color) lasted until 1999, when the transmission started to go.

And that's that. A very long post about cars, with only a few snippets of interesting information.

Seaboe
Old 14 June 2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
It had a 400 cc engine
I'm sure you mean 400 cubic inches, not 400 cc (cubic centimeters). 400 cc would be like a motorcycle engine.
Old 14 June 2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I'd originally thought of the first Elan, which is a similar shape and does have pop-up lights but doesn't have the oval grille. Sounds like it was somewhere in-between, but I thought it was easier to get the lights wrong than to imagine the distinctive grille! It could be something completely different though...
I'm beginning to convince myself that it was in fact an Elite. I'm probably spending way too much time researching this, but I actually found an article in a local magazine from a few years ago about a local classic car event which included a brief mention of a local person who owns a 1962 Lotus Elite. So that confirms that there likely is in fact one in this area, assuming that person still owns it. No pictures of that car, though.

Also, after looking at pictures of what the back of a Lotus Elite looks like, I realized I've actually seen the car in traffic once or twice before. The other times I was behind it, so I only got a look at the back, but that's exactly what I remember the taillights and whatnot looking like. It wears a California "historical vehicle" license place, by the way.

Or, knowing how false memories form, maybe I'm just creating a false memory.
Old 14 June 2018, 04:27 PM

If it is one of those, I'm amazed I got it right on my first try, even though the car I suggested didn't match your description exactly!
Old 14 June 2018, 07:13 PM

Glasses

Quote:
I'm sure you mean 400 cubic inches, not 400 cc (cubic centimeters). 400 cc would be like a motorcycle engine.
Oops. Yes, you're right 400 cubic inches. It was, at the time, the same engine they were giving State Patrol cars.

One of my BILs regrets is that he never took the car out somewhere and floored it to see how fast it would go.

Seaboe
Old 14 June 2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
A Skyhawk hatchback, perhaps? The rear is rather Pacer-like, IMO.
That may well be it, though I seem to remember it being less sporty looking and more of a hatchback in the "compact wagon" sense. I was 7 or 8 when he got rid of it, so it's certainly possible I'm misremembering that; then again, it's at least possible it actually was a Pacer and I mistook one red, white, and blue badge for the other.
Old 14 June 2018, 10:18 PM

This morning in commute traffic in Mountain View CA I saw a burgundy MGTD.
Old 15 June 2018, 01:59 PM

Glasses

I've seen that Masarati GranTurismo three times now, stuck in traffic every time (then again, if we weren't stuck in traffic, I probably wouldn't see it close enough to identify it).

Seaboe
Old 15 June 2018, 07:22 PM

Driver

I saw a 1954 Chevy 2 door hard-topped convertible for sale around the corner from my house. It is a cherry red with a white top. It was eye-catching!

I'm sorry that I don't know enough about cars to tell any other details.

Morning
Old 15 June 2018, 07:33 PM

This morning I saw a Can-Am Spyder 3-wheeler. What is it with these not-quite-car motorcycles?
Old 16 June 2018, 01:11 AM

Last night I saw an old, beat up, 1990s era Lincoln Town car stretch limo in traffic. I can't imagine an actual limo company would actually use a limo that was in such poor condition, which made me wonder if someone was using an old limo as personal transportation. That might actually qualify as an odd thing I saw.

Since I have the day off today I went to see a movie this afternoon. The theater is in a local mall, and in the parking garage I saw a Porsche, I guess it must have been a 718 Boxter. I'm not really up on their newest models. Although honestly Porsches aren't all that uncommon around here, so I was debating whether it was noteworthy.

Since we talked about Teslas in the other thread before this one got started, there's also a whole row of Tesla chargers in the parking garage. All but two spots were taken by various Tesla models -- mostly the Models S, mut some Model 3s and Xs as well.
Old 16 June 2018, 01:43 AM

Too late to edit, but a classic Mercedes SL (not sure exactly what version) just drove by while I was looking out the window.
Old 16 June 2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Too late to edit, but a classic Mercedes SL (not sure exactly what version) just drove by while I was looking out the window.
Sorry for the triple-post, but too late to edit again. Just to clarify for those who don't feel like clicking the link -- I meant the 1970s-80s version, not the iconic 300SL with the gullwing doors on the coupe version.