snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 13 March 2018, 02:08 AM

Baseball

I spend a lot of time on the roads between Fredericton and Ottawa. We are in Atlantic time in New Brunswick, but Maine to our west and Quebec to our north are both Eastern Time. Travelling along the Trans-Canada Highway my phone registers on at least 3 time zone changes. One near Grand Falls/Grand Sault to switch to Eastern time (despite an hour left of travel in NB), one about St Leonard back to Atlantic time, and then just about Edmundston to be back on Eastern time.

And, it all has to do with the towers I connect to. My carrier has a deal where voice coverage exists along the border despite whether I connect to an American tower or a Canadian one. So, when I connect to an American one, it tells me I am in Eastern time zone. Next time I connect with Canada, I am back in Atlantic time zone.

Frustrates me because my phone(s) make noises when they change and I don't look at them while driving. So, I have to hope that it is a time zone change and not something more sinister. Oh, and three is the minimum. Some times it may register 7 or more.
Old 13 March 2018, 11:20 AM

Icon204

The peak time for the cherry blossoms along the Tidal Basin has been pushed back to the end of this month. Plan your DC trip accordingly.
Old 13 March 2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
The peak time for the cherry blossoms along the Tidal Basin has been pushed back to the end of this month. Plan your DC trip accordingly.
Thanks Dawn, I have a friend who was trying to plan a trip and she was really worried about picking the wrong time.
Old 13 March 2018, 01:20 PM

You're welcome. Your friend can get more info on WTOP.com. Right now the predicted peak time is March 27-31.
Old 13 March 2018, 02:10 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
You donít get the point of a First World Problems thread, do you?
Sure I do. Which is why I was complaining about a minor issue.

Seaboe
Old 13 March 2018, 03:00 PM

I think it is funny that people readily accept the "government" changing the clock but think of the ruckus that would be raised if the government told people to go to work an hour earlier.
Old 13 March 2018, 07:12 PM

Why do you even have daylight saving in the States? Aren't you generally too far south for it to make an appreciable difference? It makes more difference the further north you are, when the difference in the length of the day and the timing of "noon" is more pronounced at different times of year.

RichardM, in the UK people sometimes make the exact opposite argument - "Why do we have all this hassle with changing the clocks? Couldn't everybody just get up an hour earlier during summer?" Er, yes, that's exactly what changing the clocks does, but think how difficult and confusing it would be to co-ordinate that without changing the clocks, and how easily simply changing the clocks deals with it!
Old 13 March 2018, 07:29 PM

IME, Ohio, at least, is not too far south for DST to make a noticeable difference.

ETA: I guess it depends on whether you think an hour more sunlight at night v. in the morning is an "appreciable difference." I do.
Old 13 March 2018, 07:31 PM

Daylight savings isn't about the length of the day vs noon, it is (was) about making the sun set "later" in the evening during the summer so people have more hours to use natural daylight instead of energy consuming artificial light. But if you just move the clock later, then more people end up going to work in the dark during the winter, resulting in more accidents. (IMS it was a series of accidents involving kids going to school.)
Old 13 March 2018, 07:34 PM

Thinking on it more, I don't understand why the impact of DST would be thought to vary depending on how far from the equator you are. An hour is an hour.
Old 13 March 2018, 08:31 PM

The closer you are to the equator, the less the length of the day changes. At Hawaii's latitude, the day lengthens or shortens by only about an hour so it wouldn't make much sense for them.

ETA: Which is probably why Hawaii doesn't follow DST. The southernmost part of the continental US, East Cape, Florida, experiences about 2 hours longer or shorter days.
Old 13 March 2018, 08:35 PM

Where my daughter lives, in Quito Ecuador, the days are pretty much the same all year long. The only way to mark the seasons is the angle of shadows. Fun fact, nothing casts a shadow on the equinox.
Old 13 March 2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
more people end up going to work in the dark during the winter, resulting in more accidents. (IMS it was a series of accidents involving kids going to school.)
Thatís one of the arguments rolled out in the UK for Pre-daylight saving. The other one is for the convenience of Scottish Dairy farmers, so they can get milk to market on time, which always baffled me as I am not sure how the cows know that the clocks have changed so they come in for milking at the appropriate times. I then realised that the cows keep on ďAstronomical timeĒ so the supply chain for milk production had to shift back an hour to allow the cows their winter morning lie in.

But that logic was based so far in the past, and supply chain and logistics of modern farming are so different now I wonder if that argument still stands?

Winter days are so short in the UK that almost everyone spends the midwonter months leaving for work in the dark and coming home in the dark. The only demographic that really benefits (apart from the shortest of days) by the extra daylight is schoolchildren, but then again they get time during the day to play outside in the daylight anyway so it is all rather pointless IMO!
Old 13 March 2018, 09:09 PM

The amount by which the actual available sunlight changes varies depending on how far south or north you are. At the equator, there isn't any change, and the whole thing would make no sense.

I have friends from India, not equatorial but close enough that they had trouble understanding why anybody pays attention to equinoxes and solstices, because where they live the change in day length isn't enough to significantly affect people's lives (it's dry and wet seasons that matter.)

Most of the USA, however, is definitely far enough north for available daylight to be much shorter in midwinter than at midsummer. Even in southern Florida there's enough difference to notice. I don't think Hawaii does daylight savings time, though; and I'm not sure what it accomplishes in northern Alaska.

whoops other people answered this while I was dealing with a phone call. And Hans, I never knew a dairy farmer who didn't hate time changes back and forth. You can't explain it to the cows, and often have to shift them little by little. Farmers want one time or the other but settle on one and leave it alone. We're working sun to sun and then some during the shorter days, anyway (and, often, during the longer ones.)
Old 14 March 2018, 12:14 AM

thorny locust, My grandfather who mostly fed out calves, but also kept a few milk cows, never changed his clock. People around him had to keep track of town time and farm time. One of my uncles hated to get up early in the mornings so he just trained his milk cows to be milked at 10 and 10.
Old 14 March 2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
One of my uncles hated to get up early in the mornings so he just trained his milk cows to be milked at 10 and 10.
I have a good friend who does it that way.

She doesn't have a commercial dairy, though; just usually a cow or a few, with extra milk going to feed other livestock.

The cows don't actually care what time it is -- they just care that it's the same time.
Old 14 March 2018, 01:41 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Sure I do. Which is why I was complaining about a minor issue.

Seaboe
Well-played, Seaboe, well-played.

I'll defer to Last Week Tonight, regarding Daylight Savings Time: How is this still a thing?
Old 14 March 2018, 02:13 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Fun fact, nothing casts a shadow on the equinox.
Everything casts a shadow, unless the light is come from all directions. You just don't see the shadows because they're small and directly beneath you.

FWP: I'm having trouble with one of the databases at work; it's refusing to print for me--but not for my colleagues in California.

Seaboe
Old 14 March 2018, 10:37 PM

Yesterday I read something on the company's weekly local e-newsletter about a Pi Day celebration. Today I realized that was actually about the San Jose office. My office apparently isn't doing anything for Pi Day.
Old 14 March 2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
The DST change has been happening all (g)your life. Get over it, already. Or move to one of the states that ignores it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I don't see any reason why I should just accept a system that has been changed multiple times in my lifetime, that many people object to, and that there are many reasons to do away with.
If we would just do away with DST, both these problems would be solved.