snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 12 March 2018, 09:44 AM

Seems that old saying about a stopped clock being right twice a day also goes for people who don't know how to change a clock: Twice a year not changing the clock really is the right thing to do. Well, most other times too. (Is it just me or is Arizona that kind of place? It's wacky and backwards but the things they get right are pretty darned good...)
Old 12 March 2018, 02:09 PM

Glasses

The DST change has been happening all (g)your life. Get over it, already. Or move to one of the states that ignores it.

Seaboe
Old 12 March 2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Twice a year not changing the clock really is the right thing to do. Well, most other times too. (Is it just me or is Arizona that kind of place? It's wacky and backwards but the things they get right are pretty darned good...)
The tale I've heard is that Arizona doesn't switch because we want the sun to go down "earlier" in the summer. While the temperatures are still very hot, not having the sun beating down on you allows for a lot of outdoor activities that would be much less enjoyable with the sun still shining.
Old 12 March 2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
The DST change has been happening all (g)your life. Get over it, already. Or move to one of the states that ignores it.

Seaboe
My FWP is that I'm having trouble with this. Was it intended as a TYSHTTP? I take from the (g)you that it was not intended as a direct statement to ganzfeld.

All that said, as someone whose life is disrupted unnecessarily by the switch twice a year, it is not something I can just "get over" by choice. I will continue to advocate for a time zone/system to be chosen and that we stick with it. (I don't care whether it's ST or DT, as long as it doesn't change twice a year). I don't see any reason why I should just accept a system that has been changed multiple times in my lifetime, that many people object to, and that there are many reasons to do away with.
Old 12 March 2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I had tons of panicked guests this morning charge the front desk while holding their cellphone screens towards me as they asked "is this really the time?"

I kept reassuring them no it was not. That Arizona (except for the Navajo Nation) does not change times because, unlike the Navajo, the Arizona State Legislature is unable to figure out how to change time on a clock.
I am surprised. I thought that cell phones took the time from a local source. It should still be accurately reflecting the time, unless they had changed the phone manually?
Old 12 March 2018, 04:05 PM

If you've manually set the phone to a time zone, it might change automatically. Also, at every change there are numerous reports of phones doing it wrong -- either not changing when they should, changing when they should not due to location, or sometimes changing twice so that the phone jumps forward or back by 2 hours. Sometimes power cycling the phone helps, sometimes it could be a network issue, sometimes it can require more tweaking or troubleshooting.

So yes, it should be automatically adjusted or not according to local time, but it isn't always.
Old 12 March 2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
MI will continue to advocate for a time zone/system to be chosen and that we stick with it. (I don't care whether it's ST or DT, as long as it doesn't change twice a year).
Nitpick: System, not zone.
Old 12 March 2018, 05:00 PM

If we were switching to it year round, then why would it be a system, and not just the designated time within the zone? At least if we were dropping daylight saving altogether, then it would just be the ST zones without modification. If we choose to do DT year round, how would it work? I guess it would not be just zones if you determined the time be looking at the geographical zone and then adding 1. I can see why it would be called a system, but I guess I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing about the time zone system that makes the issue more complicated.

As a practical matter, I wonder if there would be new "zones" designated like the current DT ones.

Last edited by erwins; 12 March 2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12 March 2018, 05:07 PM

I would say it is both system and zone. In Indiana there is a debate about the zone (we are eastern, which is astronomically incorrect) versus systems (yes or no on DST).
Old 12 March 2018, 05:08 PM

My point was that DST and time zones are not directly related. Time zones are a geographical construct that would not change if we went to year-round DST, or year-round standard time.

"System" was your word. Feel free to pick another one. :-)
Old 12 March 2018, 05:24 PM

There is no consensus on comments for web sites as to whether the enter key creates a new line or posts the comment. Using ctrl-enter won't always create a new line either, so just using it always isn't an option either.
Old 12 March 2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Mad Bunnies View Post
I am surprised. I thought that cell phones took the time from a local source. It should still be accurately reflecting the time, unless they had changed the phone manually?
Would it be based on the closest cell tower info?
If any phone's GPS clocks it nearer to a tower in the Navajo area then it might register the switch, if the ones belonging to the state are closer, then not...

I think...
Old 12 March 2018, 07:14 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I take from the (g)you that it was not intended as a direct statement to ganzfeld.
It was not directed at anyone in particular.

Quote:
I will continue to advocate for a time zone/system to be chosen and that we stick with it.
I think that's a very good idea. Although I also think we need to choose one or the other on a more or less national basis, so that we don't have a mishmash of time changes, like before the time zones were set.

What I get tired of are people complaining about minor inconveniences, like having to change the clocks.

Seaboe
Old 12 March 2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Mad Bunnies View Post
AIUI cell phone towers all transmit UTC or Zulu time, essentially the time at Greenwich UK. The phone is responsible for displaying that time in the local time zone. I believe the cell phone tower also includes the time difference from UTC but individual phones may choose to use or not use that information.
Old 12 March 2018, 07:43 PM

From a little bit of time spent Googling, there is apparently an issue with some android phones where they get the time from the network and either the network doesn't have Arizona time or the droid adjusts for DST anyway.
Old 12 March 2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
What I get tired of are people complaining about minor inconveniences, like having to change the clocks.
Yeah, I get that. That describes much of my day.

But what's minor is relative and criticism (and, yes, sometimes complaining) is one way change starts. That's the way it is in a democracy, and many if not most other systems, from long before standard time was invented and probably until the end of it so (while I'm taking any bets in these crazy times) I think we're the ones who's are going to have to get over complaining.

DST has been shown to be detrimental (even unhealthy) in many ways and, IMO, its never been shown to have any benefit at all. Personally I got over it after I moved away from it but I don't think that's an option for most people. (Nor is it for lots of other supposedly minor or major issues.)
Old 12 March 2018, 08:14 PM

I have an Android phone, too, and while the phone and weather app's time were correct, the clock that attaches to the weather app that you can display on the main screen was an hour behind. Until this afternoon.

It's weird... it's a weather app widget from AccuWeather that has the time, temperature, and weather. The time portion didn't update to DST until a day later, but when I'd click on the "refresh" icon to update the weather, it would show the correct time there (Last Updated X:XX PM, etc.).
Old 12 March 2018, 08:24 PM

The switch between DST and Non-DST confuses my sleep tracking app, and I wind up having to reenter the data multiple times as it starts glitching and saying I went to bed at 1:45 in the morning and then woke up at 5:47 or something like that. (when the phone hasn't been on so it's not like I even reached over to check the time at one of those points or anything)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
There is no consensus on comments for web sites as to whether the enter key creates a new line or posts the comment. Using ctrl-enter won't always create a new line either, so just using it always isn't an option either.
This one gets me stamping my foot every time. No, I did not want to send the message yet!!! Recently I was trying to communicate with a customer service agent on one of those online built-in instant messenger things some companies have on their websites. I didn't stop to think I shouldn't hit enter right away and so my first message was just a vague-

Hello,

-that sat for about 30 seconds because I then had to type up the rest of the information I had wanted to send in the first message.
Old 13 March 2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
It was not directed at anyone in particular.

I think that's a very good idea. Although I also think we need to choose one or the other on a more or less national basis, so that we don't have a mishmash of time changes, like before the time zones were set.

Seaboe
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
From a little bit of time spent Googling, there is apparently an issue with some android phones where they get the time from the network and either the network doesn't have Arizona time or the droid adjusts for DST anyway.
It's a problem for iPhones too. I spent some time googling as well, and my initial search was specifically for iPhone issues, of which there were plenty of reports of the kind I described.
Old 13 March 2018, 12:55 AM

Mouse

Quote:

Seaboe
You donít get the point of a First World Problems thread, do you?