snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 05 January 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
No argument there. But if one were going to teach a chemistry class and said "I don't accept quantum" to ones students I would think it rather unprofessional. Some opinions should be left at home, IMHO. Nor do I think it "makes some sense". Quantum is part of chemistry, even when you don't have to consider it.
I'm not sure that quantum chem to chemistry is the same as global warming to geology. You can do quite well in geology without every considering global warming. Global warming is where meteorology meets sociology and politics.
Old 05 January 2018, 11:31 PM

Climate science is an important and integral part of geology, aka Earth science. It's not a separate field of study. It's not optional. The atmosphere and oceans are an integral and important part of the Earth. Period.
Old 06 January 2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Climate science is an important and integral part of geology, aka Earth science. It's not a separate field of study. It's not optional. The atmosphere and oceans are an integral and important part of the Earth. Period.
Nope. Especially since 99.9% of geology is concerned with things that happened millions and billions of years ago. What happened last week or last decade rarely has a significant impact on geological formations. Beside geology != earth science, geology is a part of earth science. You can be an expert in geology without being an expert in earth science.

Back to the original point, why would it matter to a geologist why the earth is warming? The causes are outside both their area of expertise and their primary area of professional concern.

Global warming, as commonly put, is a normative statement. Any time you get into normative viewpoints you are drifting out of science and into sociology and politics. A non-normative view of global warming is simply that it is 100% natural end affect of evolution on earth. Humans can manipulate the weather and that is neither good not bad but it is 100% natural.
Old 06 January 2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Nope. Especially since 99.9% of geology is concerned with things that happened millions and billions of years ago. What happened last week or last decade rarely has a significant impact on geological formations.
So by that dubious rationale, never hire a geologist to find the oil and natural gas: they can only find where it was millions of years ago, not where it is now. The point is that they are studying how things were then so that they can understand how things are now and how things will become in the future, not simply to make a fun and engaging catalogue of Earth's history.
Quote:
Beside geology != earth science, geology is a part of earth science. You can be an expert in geology without being an expert in earth science.
By either definition, they aren’t separate things. They’re part of the same branch of science.
Quote:
Back to the original point, why would it matter to a geologist why the earth is warming? The causes are outside both their area of expertise and their primary area of professional concern.
For this, I will have to let the geologists answer themselves. Fortunately for us, they already have, many years ago:
https://www.geosociety.org/gsa/posit...osition10.aspx

And for those who disagree with the vast majority of their colleagues, here is the answer from someone who studies global warming denial:
https://www.skepticalscience.com/Geo...ge-denial.html
Old 07 January 2018, 12:34 AM

Seventh Generation brand toilet bowl cleaner actually says on its label that it's gluten free. I'm not sure if I find that funny, or sad that there are people gullible enough to be swayed by the fact that their cleaning products don't contain gluten.

Now I know someone is surely going to post the "asbestos free cereal" xkcd comic.
Old 07 January 2018, 03:44 PM

Reminds me of my most-hated cleaning product commercial ever: it started with a woman saying "Is your toilet bowl germ free?"
Old 07 January 2018, 04:47 PM

Well, since my dog thinks it's her water bowl.......
Old 07 January 2018, 04:58 PM

Dogs were into raw water before it was cool.
Old 08 January 2018, 03:16 AM

Vanishing

Aw no, the council came and removed the big castor oil plant that had been growing just outside my yard for years and years.

I watered that plant regularly, I really liked it. But its seeds are extremely toxic and it's classed as an invasive weed species so I'm not surprised they eventually removed it.
Old 08 January 2018, 02:15 PM

Glasses

It also looks as if it were getting to be very large.

I went and saw The Man Who Invented Christmas for the second time. Enjoyed it very much. Particularly enjoyed noticing how much my friend enjoyed it. I saw it at what used to be called a second run theater (Crest Theater).

Other than that, I'm bingeing on Major Crimes. I have a little thing that annoys me, though--they went to all the trouble of bringing Jon Tenney onto the show as a cop (he was Brenda Leigh's FBI husband on The Closer), and then they gave him heart issues and either killed him off or retired him (I can't tell which yet). Why bother? Why not just send him off to D.C. with his wife when she gets her new job? It was, IMO a stupid move.

Seaboe

Seaboe
Old 08 January 2018, 09:10 PM

Canada

It was near calamity at my son's house this weekend but the disaster was narrowly avoided. He had stepped out of the house to start the truck and when he returned the chesterfield had exploded. Fortunately, neither of my grandchildren were injured in the blast.

His son had the decency to look a little guilty. Octavia, not so much.

Old 08 January 2018, 09:40 PM

LOL, not a bit. It's the way my cats look at me when I tell them to stop doing something.
Old 09 January 2018, 02:21 PM

Glasses

How old is Octavia? Maybe she's reached the age of knowing how to blame her brother.

Seaboe
Old 09 January 2018, 04:04 PM

Ponder

I've gotta get on the ULMB more often. I've probably forgotten how to do simple things like quoting and adding a picture, but since I really haven't been here regular since 2007, when my friend Lee died, I've probably missed out on a ton of good things.
Old 09 January 2018, 06:53 PM

Glasses

But you haven't missed out on whatever's coming. Welcome back, Trish.

Seaboe
Old 09 January 2018, 07:50 PM

Icon97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
How old is Octavia? Maybe she's reached the age of knowing how to blame her brother.

Seaboe
She is just over the year. and has her grampy wrapped around her finger.
Old 09 January 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
But you haven't missed out on whatever's coming. Welcome back, Trish.
Welcome back indeed.

Maybe some others of our long-missing snopesters will also resurface. I'm starting to feel like an old-timer, and I very distinctly remember being a newbie.
Old 10 January 2018, 06:25 AM

Chiming in with a promise to log on more often.

I was just thinking about UL's the other day when the old wives tale about the cold/flu remedy of slicing an onion in two reared its head on my Facebook feed. It really is remarkable that so many people still accept this kind of repetitivive nonsense and a) get annoyed if a smart Alec (not me) challenges them and b) continue to perpetuate this OWT forever.
Next time I see it, I'll dig out and link the snopes file.
Old 10 January 2018, 11:37 AM

I seem to be oblivious to who's posting and who isn't, mostly! Most of the UK posters haven't been around very much lately, so I've noticed that, but when marrya posted recently she put something on Facebook showing that she'd not logged in since 2014 and I thought "really?!"... Similarly I can't believe that it's been ten years since TrishDaDish posted! OK, you said "regularly" so perhaps I've seen some of your occasional posts between then and now.
Old 10 January 2018, 02:27 PM

Oh hey everybody. It's been a while. Still married to that guy I met in this place. I do keep up with a bunch of posters ( former or not ) on Facebook.