snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 29 November 2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khisanth View Post
Don't Starve Together - Team up with other people. Try not to starve, get eaten/killed, or go insane. Our longest living streak is now 9 days.
I just started the single person version on my console of choice this past week. As a lone survivor, I have managed to get to 16 days before two wild boars took me out yesterday.
Old 29 November 2017, 05:00 PM

It would be fun to have a Viscera Cleanup Detail map based off of one of the Doom levels like there is for the second Shadow Warrior game, but since the devs for VCD have moved on to other projects (it left Early Access in 2015), I doubt we'll see one unless a really creative someone makes a Steam Workshop map.

I don't have a budget for the "AAA" $60 releases, so I tend toward the Indie games like VCD, or wait a year and go for the big budget titles during the Steam Xmas sale.

Doom was $14.99 during the sale that just ended. I got all three Skyrim expansions for $4.99 (they were between $10.00 for Hearthfire and $19.99 for Dawngaurd when they were released) during the Xmas sale last year.

~Psihala
(*Doesn't feel the need to get the latest and greatest the minute it comes out, and couldn't care less how I'm 'branded' when it comes to whether or not anyone is a "real gamer"...)
Old 29 November 2017, 09:05 PM

I've just spent a while reading that old thread... I forget sometimes that there used to be lots of people here discussing lots of different things, and the threads moved a bit. Oh well.

(eta) I say that; there have been five new posts since GenYus added the link! By recent standards, that must be a record!

(eta again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Ok, interesting, thank you for explaining that to me. I didn’t know time invested was a factor. I just assumed anything that looked cartoony didn’t count.
I've spent about 250 hours on Stardew Valley now, and I think I've only got four achievements left to get. You can be hardcore even on games that look like cartoons...

Last edited by Richard W; 29 November 2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 29 November 2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Note that this is my criteria for value, it doesn't mean a short game is not a game, just not good value for my money.
It’s a good way to look at it, though. For me it’s also about emotional value. If I constantly walk away from a game angry, or in a dark mood, I didn’t get my money’s worth. I play for the escapism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
But if you play games like that only (although Zelda is one series that I think even most gamer gatekeepers would acknowledge) and want to talk about them, that's great! How is it? I like to have a time waster or two on my phone, so if you've found a good one, please share.
If you liked Pokémon Go, you might like Animal Crossing. It’s pretty basic and G rated, but built so you can’t accomplish everything in a week, even if you speed it up through microtransactions. But there is more to do than with Pokémon Go, and so far I haven’t felt like I can’t level up unless I pay for it. It feels like checking in with social media throughout the day, a good time waster if you might enjoy building a halfpipe so a chubby alligator can ride on it.

Zelda Breath of the Wild was kind of great, for me. It wasn’t linear the way previous Zelda games were, and the puzzles were engaging enough that I enjoyed it without getting angry. It was a big world to explore, to me anyway. Are there games like that you would recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I've spent about 250 hours on Stardew Valley now, and I think I've only got four achievements left to get. You can be hardcore even on games that look like cartoons...
Wow, ok! Maybe I should check that out!
Old 29 November 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Zelda Breath of the Wild was kind of great, for me. It wasn’t linear the way previous Zelda games were, and the puzzles were engaging enough that I enjoyed it without getting angry. It was a big world to explore, to me anyway. Are there games like that you would recommend?
There are a lot of open world rpg games, but most of them have a different style and gameplay than Breath of the Wild did. Different enough that interest in it is not guaranteed to transfer over to Elder Scrolls type open world RPGs. That was one of the most successful examples of that type of game, so it will be hard to match.

If the thing you like is the puzzles, then honestly, Portal (1 and 2 both) is the closest thing I can think of to that sort of gameplay. Except Portal is nothing but the shrines without any of the world and the rest of the game. And the puzzles are slightly more involved, but not to a frustrating degree of difficulty. There aren't a lot of games that I can think of that combine puzzles and rpgs, so the games that have the open world combat will mostly be somewhat less puzzle oriented.

A lesser known puzzle game that is similar to Portal, and possibly even more similar to Breath of the Wild shrines, is Quantum Conundrum. Similar to Breath of the Wild, you have 4 main abilities with which to solve physics based puzzles. You can shift everything to be heavy metal, or fluffy pillows, you can reverse gravity, and you can slow time. A sample puzzle might be to turn a piece of furniture light, give it a good throw, slow time and jump on top of it as it slowly moves in mid air, then turn reverse gravity off and on to make it keep moving forward in a sine wave instead of just falling to the ground, and finally turn it heavy to crash through a barrier on the other side of a large pit.

I haven't played it yet (I'm expecting it for Christmas), but the new Mario game is getting rave reviews. It's a departure from traditional Mario games, and has a big open world full of puzzles, much like Breath of the Wild. Instead of Korok seeds you solve mini-puzzles to find hidden moon fragments, but there are a lot of similarities. The mechanic of being able to transform Mario into lots of different creatures seems like a lot of fun.
Old 30 November 2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
You can be hardcore even on games that look like cartoons...
Depending on what cartoons you mean, the Borderlands series of games would qualify. They are hardcore first person shooters that look like Gorillaz videos.
Old 30 November 2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
I haven't played it yet (I'm expecting it for Christmas), but the new Mario game is getting rave reviews. It's a departure from traditional Mario games, and has a big open world full of puzzles, much like Breath of the Wild.
You just made my kids’ Christmas. They’ve been asking for this and I’ve been resisting because we only just got a Wii U last year, but I now, selfishly, will probably cave. Thanks for the info.
Old 02 December 2017, 04:47 PM

Devil

It's only taken two days, and I finally finished... level one of Doom.

Go me.

~Psihala
(*On the other hand, I've finished the main quests from both the major DLC's for Skyrim, Dawnguard and Dragonborn. Hearthfire didn't interest me from the beginning, but it came with the package so I imagine I'll get around to it eventually.)
Old 02 December 2017, 08:01 PM

Hearthfire doesn't really have any quests, but adopting one of the kids you find in the game is almost worth it by itself.
Old 03 December 2017, 03:07 PM

I have DOOM VFR downloaded on my computer. I'm ready to play. Every time I put on the headset, the puppy starts to whine and tries to climb in my lap. I can't lock her out of the room, because she will attack something. I guess I won't be playing until my wife gets back in town.
Old 04 December 2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I can't lock her out of the room, because she will attack something.
Sounds ideal - can't you just give her a controller?

I've picked up Elite: Dangerous again. It's still a frustrating but oddly addictive game. There are so many tedious tasks that would really be automated with that level of technology, or processes that would never be that haphazard in reality. The ships seem to have less computing power than the console you're running the game on! Certainly worse user interfaces. And some of the space stations have a random announcement that "if you are in the docking area without authorisation, please leave now" or something like that; it's not directed at anybody, just a standard announcement like the "no smoking" announcement at stations. This is a bit like an airport routinely broadcasting to all traffic, "any planes that are on the runway but aren't meant to be, please move to the side"...

I took on a mission (two identical missions from the same place, actually) to deliver some report to literally the other side of the galaxy, 22,000 light years away. I was attracted to it by the unusually large payment, which in retrospect is ridiculously small, but I'd wanted an excuse to do some exploring a bit further from the starting point. However, I'd assumed that there would be the occasional planet with an economy and the odd space station, even out in the middle of nowhere - since it's all procedurally generated, I'd thought that it would be relatively homogeneous even if some areas had a higher density of inhabited systems than others.

But between the starting system and the system I'm meant to deliver the report to, there's literally thousands of light years of completely uninhabited systems. You can scan the planets and sell the data - except that there's nobody there to sell it to. The time limit on the mission was nearly a week, and I think it would pretty much take a week of play to fly across the galaxy like that, and all you would be doing would be jumping from one system to another, scooping fuel, maybe stopping to scan something, and jumping to the next star. At the end of it, the money from the delivery would be nothing compared to the money you could potentially make from scanning planets (or the money you'd have made from staying where you were and doing sensible missions for that long), but also you'd be stuck in a sparsely-inhabited region at the other end of the galaxy and would have to do the same again if you wanted to get back to the end where things are actually happening.

I took the whole afternoon to get less than 500 light-years away, and then gave up and turned back to the nearest planet that actually had somewhere I could sell the data I'd gathered.

And I didn't even get the achievement for scanning a planet nobody had been to - this entire volume of the galaxy seems to have been thoroughly explored already. There must still be huge regions that nobody has been to, since it's supposed to have as many stars in it as the real galaxy (which is about 100 billion), and if that's true then vast areas must still be unexplored, but I couldn't see any sign of them. There are some very persistent and obsessive people playing this game...
Old 07 December 2017, 04:00 PM

Picked up a free Android (think it has an iPhone version too) game called "Day R Survival". It is a post-apocalyptic survival game in 1990 Soviet Union. Pretty detailed and realistic for a smart phone game. You have to manage hunger, thirst, fatigue, poisoning, blood loss, and radiation and fend off hostile wildlife* while you search for supplies and try to find your family. Have only scratched the surface, but pretty engaging. For now I'm playing hardcore where death is final and I have to start over. Got the premium version for $0.99 which allows you to save anywhere (free game has scattered save points) which makes it a lot better since I can play for a few minutes without having to leave the game running in the background. It has microtransactions where you can buy supplies or goods, but they are very much in the background.

Side note: Dear YouTube video poster. Hacking the game data files to change the price of goods is not a "glitch".

* Who knew that 1990's USSR was full of free roaming lynxes?
Old 07 December 2017, 06:07 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_lynx
Old 08 December 2017, 05:30 AM

Downloaded Kung Fu Panda: Showdown Of Legendary Legends on PS4 since it's free for Playstation Plus members right now. It's basically a Super Smash Brothers ripoff, but not bad for a free game. It's got playable characters from all three movies, plus some cheap DLCs that add more playable characters and maps.
Old 08 December 2017, 01:13 PM

Just finished Ghost Protocol: Wildlands and have some negative comments about it. *Major spoiler ahead* Like too many games, it can't maintain consistency to the play style when it comes to the ending. Throughout the entire game, you have been working small operations from stealth, occasionally getting ambushed by small groups. But when it comes to the final mission, you are ambushed by both your previous allies and the entire game becomes a mad race to the end with ambushes by heavily armed soldiers at every step along the way.

If you are playing it and want a hint to finish the last mission quickly, here is a hint with a touch of spoiler. As you head down the hill, you'll see a set of railroad tracks. Drive down them all the way to the base of the mausoleum's mountain. You can then drive off the tracks right onto the path that leads up to the entrance, including driving up the steps each way. I kind of think this is what the developers may have had in mind due to the setup and how easy it is to do this.
Old 10 December 2017, 05:14 AM

[QUOTE=Richard W;1965675 There are some very persistent and obsessive people playing this game...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, like me. I can't get enough of Elite Dangerous.
Exploring wise, you have to be in the right mindset (borderline loony) and get at least 1,000LY out of the "bubble".
I just finished a trip to the center of the Galaxy and over to the 2nd inhabited area and even for me it was something that took some effort to not simply say "NFBSK it" and self-destruct home. But in the end that trip took 30 hours over 8 days. Without watching old Doctor Who episodes on my 2nd monitor I would've gone bonkers.
Old 10 December 2017, 01:33 PM

I'm still intending to play it more...! I had to discover the self-destruct mechanism as well, a few days ago. I decided to go and visit one of the engineers instead of what I'd previously been doing, and the one I chose wanted me to collect some artefacts from somewhere and give them to her as a condition of working with me.

The planet with the artefacts was another 300-odd light years away, so I was doing a long series of jumps and scooping fuel, when it told me - only three jumps from the destination - that I hadn't enough fuel to make the next jump. I'd not been paying enough attention, and hadn't appreciated that there were star types where you couldn't scoop fuel - including brown dwarf stars, one of which I was at at the time. And it turned out that I was in the middle of a big patch of these brown dwarfs, all uninhabited, and although I had enough fuel to jump to a few of the ones nearby, I couldn't get anywhere that would let me refuel. In looking up what I was supposed to do, I found that the only thing you can do in that situation is self-destruct!

I would never have found the self-destruct mechanism without instructions as to where it was - in fact I had trouble finding it even with the instructions, because the option was missing from the menu where it was supposed to be. I hadn't realised you needed to drop out of hypercruise to use it. Anyway, I self-destructed and ended up back at the starting point and had to do it all again! On subsequent journeys I've paid more attention to the types of star that are coming up, to make sure that doesn't happen again, but that slows you down even more... The map does in fact put a marker on the star that's your last chance to refuel for each leg, but although there's a marker on the map, as far as I could see it doesn't give you any warning or indication when you get there, so you have to keep checking the map to make sure you've not missed it, or (as I tend to) make sure you refuel fully at the next valid star the moment you get below about three-quarters of a tank.

After all that, when I got to the engineer it turns out that you can only put one upgrade on each piece of equipment at a time - so when I upgraded the efficiency of my drive and then upgraded its range, the range upgrade cancelled the efficiency upgrade. And also, rather than just giving you a straightforward upgrade, in fact it randomly varies the level of several arbitrary settings and lets you decide whether to keep the result or try again. It's hard to tell whether the result is even going to be an improvement, and sometimes it's clearly worse. But even if you reject the upgrade and opt to try again, each attempt still costs you the whole upgrade cost, some of which is in rare resources that you may have only one or two of! On the whole, it makes you wonder if the whole rigmarole was worth the effort, especially since you can just buy better drives from any old outfitter so unless you've already got the top of the range, you can get a far easier and more reliable upgrade like that.

And shortly after this, when I came to play again, it turned out that I couldn't connect to the servers, so (even though I'm playing solo) it wouldn't let me play. So I put in Viva Pińata: Trouble In Paradise instead, and have been playing that since.

I do like Elite but there are so many little annoying things about it that could obviously have been improved that sometimes I wonder if the developers were doing it deliberately. "Shall we put in a warning for the player that their fuel is low and that if they make the next jump they'll be stranded?" "No, of course not! Warnings are for lightweights and casual gamers - they should be paying constant attention to things like that! The kind of people who would be put off by this are just the kind we don't want playing!"
Old 11 December 2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
In looking up what I was supposed to do, I found that the only thing you can do in that situation is self-destruct!
Actually there is a group of players around, called the Fuel Rats. You can contact them and they will refuel you, free of charge. It's actually an awesome experience, they once rescued me when I was in a ship without fuel, life support with 2 minutes left, in free fall in the gravity well of a planet.

Also you can filter the stars on your route to make sure your journey only uses (if possible) scoopable stars.

As for the Engineers, yeah, it can be a RNG pain. However, they are planning to overhaul it in 2018 where you might get less effective upgrades, but they stack and you are guaranteed to improve it. In other words, the first one might just give an increased jump range for 2%, the next one would bump it to 5%, then maybe 6%, then 9, etc. Also they plan to remove the secondary effects (which sometimes can ruin the whole thing).

And to be honest, the lack of "hand holding" is indeed a deliberate thing. The CEO of the software company was the co-programmer of the original Elite in 1984, and thus they went with the more hard-core difficulty of the olden days instead of (if you forgive my tongue in cheek) "Press X to not die" which seems a bit prevalent in current games. That is one reason why they went with self-published and Kickstarter instead of asking EA or Activision for their money (and meddling).

Finally: If you are on Facebook, I can only recommend the "Elite: Dangerous Community" group. It's a great place to ask for hints, helps and just to discuss the game.
Old 14 December 2017, 03:04 AM

The latest Kickstarter DLC for Shantae; Half Genie Hero came out this week, Friends To The End.

In this one, instead of controlling Shantae, you control her three friends, Bolo, Sky, and Rottytops as they try to save her after she's been turned into the evil Nega-Shantae. You control all three of them, actively switching between characters to take advantage of their special abilities: Bolo can smash large blocks and uses a grapple hook to swing from targets, Sky can glide and create temporary platforms, and Rottytops can throw her head to bypass obstacles and reach high platforms.

Compared to the core game or the first DLC, Pirate Queen's Quest, this one has a serious boot to the pants as far as difficulty goes. You've got only got three health bars in this one with no apparent means of upgrading them, unlike the other two where you could go as high as eight health bars. Also, while in the previous two you could buy permanent upgrades to your offensive power, in this one you instead collect gems to "level up" your attacks but if you take damage you drop some gems and go down in level.

While some players complained that Half Genie Hero was too easy of a platformer, I think that they badly overcorrected on Friends Till The End and made it unnecessarily difficult.
Old 14 December 2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDBlackwolf View Post
And to be honest, the lack of "hand holding" is indeed a deliberate thing.
Yes, I sometimes think that David Braben must be in a constant battle with his developers - left to himself he'd just write a universe simulator and make you fly from one end to the other using relativistic mechanics, but his developers insist that he puts in at least a semblance of a playable game!

The thing that gets me about that particular lack of warning is that a real ship that advanced would surely warn you about that! It's not as though the course calculator doesn't know about it - it puts that little indicator on the map, after all.

I'm playing solo so I don't think I can use the Fuel Rats. I did find a reference to them, but the site seemed to be down when I looked anyway and I wondered if they'd ceased operating.