snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 04 October 2017, 11:06 AM

Dammit, I forgot about Inhumans. Have to look for a repeat and DVR it.

I saw the first episode of The Gifted, Fox's X-Men tie-in. Wasn't terrible, but it didn't really grab me, either. However, I always try to give a show 3 episodes because many poor starts grow into good shows (Supergirl and Powerless being recent examples). One irritant I had was the (to me) fairly obvious parallel with the first season of Heroes, where we have the Father Who Is A Bad Guy with the Offspring Who Are Bad Guys with the concurrent change in Dad's attitude. Doesn't help that Lauren Strucker looks a lot like Claire Bennet....
Old 04 October 2017, 06:06 PM

You should be able to stream the first two episodes* of Inhumans online, since it's broadcast television.

Here you go

*Both episodes were combined to make a 2 hour series premier, episode 3 airs this week.
Old 04 October 2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
You should be able to stream the first two episodes* of Inhumans online, since it's broadcast television.
I can probably get it on Verizon's On Demand service, too. In this day and age, I have little doubt I can catch up ASAP. Thank you for the link to the ABC streaming site, though. My TV's new functionality* might get a workout tonight.

*About a month or so ago, the "Casting" selection on my TV grew new functions, which required sending off for a new TV remote. I believe access to streaming services is one of the updates.
Old 25 October 2017, 07:17 PM

As I'm home for a couple of weeks, I started going through my Netflix queue and looking at the "New" and "Recommended" lists. Saw Big Mouth, and ended up binge-watching it.

Pretty damned funny animation about kids going through puberty and coping with life in general. Quite adult in content, though nothing I would deem "gratuitous".
Old 07 November 2017, 08:32 PM

Season 2 of Stranger Things. Just got halfway through, 4 episodes left. Couldn't binge-watch due to a busy schedule, alas. Loving the show.
Old 13 November 2017, 06:25 AM

'The Orville' has been touching on some pretty thorny issues but usually handles them really awkwardly and clumsily which is disappointing. The last episode was all about alien pheromones that make people fall in love with a person they usually wouldn't (to the point where they happily jump in bed with them) and there were a ton of issues about consent that the show simply skipped over in favour of making jokes.

It's more than a little skeevy.
Old 14 November 2017, 01:14 AM

Mouse

Thatís kind of why I stayed the heck away from that show, Gutter Monkey. Seth McFarland only has a few tricks available to him and once youíve seen them once, thereís no reason to see them again, because heíll just repeat himself until you realize that he only has a few tricks and give up.

And his main trick is, ďLook how offensive Iím being. Iím going out of my way to be so shocking and offensive. Isnít this funny, how shocking and offensive Iím being?Ē
Old 14 November 2017, 06:07 AM

He actually manages to avoid being outright shocking and offensive in The Orville, it's pretty light and fluffy on the surface. It's definitely not as "in your face" as Family Guy.

If people hadn't put much thought into issues around consent before now then they probably wouldn't have thought that the latest episode was all that problematic. If you turn your brain off it's a fun romp that's very much in the style of Star Trek: The Next Generation but with occasional sitcom jokes. If taken part in discussions with a lot of people and many of them were fine with it but a few were instantly turned off by how the show handled the subject.
Old 14 November 2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
That’s kind of why I stayed the heck away from that show, Gutter Monkey. Seth McFarland only has a few tricks available to him and once you’ve seen them once, there’s no reason to see them again, because he’ll just repeat himself until you realize that he only has a few tricks and give up.

And his main trick is, “Look how offensive I’m being. I’m going out of my way to be so shocking and offensive. Isn’t this funny, how shocking and offensive I’m being?”
That's why I was leery about the Orville. Was afraid it would be all dick/vomit/poop jokes. But it's actually not really at all. It's a lot less comedy than I was expecting and more Star Trek-lite.

I was shocked (in a good way) by last week's episode with the Captain sleeping with the blue guy and how it wasn't an issue beyond how it messed with the mission. I expected there would be homophobic jokes and there weren't.

Old 18 November 2017, 03:55 AM

I watched the first two episodes of the new Netflix Punisher series and really, really enjoyed them. I've been reading comics for decades but I was never much of a fan of this character but he was pretty great in the second Daredevil series and they've done a great job of making him compelling and fleshed out in his standalone series.
They also do a really, really good job of not having him be a simple gun-toting male power fantasy or lionizing/demonizing his military service history and they also have a surprising number of female characters (ie: any).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
I was shocked (in a good way) by last week's episode with the Captain sleeping with the blue guy and how it wasn't an issue beyond how it messed with the mission. I expected there would be homophobic jokes and there weren't.
Yeah The Orville is refreshingly relaxed about non-hetero relationships. I guess the people behind Star Trek: Voyager must be slightly miffed because they made a much bigger deal over revealing that one of their characters is gay and they really worked hard to show that his relationship was valid and genuine but The Orville beat them to the punch by revealing that Bortus was gay and then they showed that the captain was at least bi or possibly pan and it wasn't a big deal.
Old 30 November 2017, 05:26 PM

Has anyone else watched the new reboot of Mythbusters with the new hosts? I watched the first episode last night and was kind of "meh" about it. I mean, it's still a show about setting up crazy experiments in order to test urban legends, and it's still kind of interesting to see the results of those tests, but the new hosts just don't have the same chemistry. It's really not unlike when the BBC replaced the hosts of Top Gear. It almost feels like the two new guys are trying a little too hard to be another Adam and Jamie, and they just aren't. Maybe in time they'll find their own direction.

ETA: Oh, and regarding GM's post above about The Orville: Since Bortus's species only has one gender, can Bortus really be considered "gay"? It seems like in his culture it's just normal to be in a relationship with someone of the same gender, since that's pretty much the only option.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 30 November 2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07 December 2017, 02:36 PM

I've been watching 'Bushcraft Build-Off' which is a competitive reality TV show where two teams have to complete a challenge (usually building a shelter of some kind, but sometimes other structures as well) but each person is only allowed to bring one tool with them and everything else has to be created using natural materials they find on site. It's okay if you're into that kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
ETA: Oh, and regarding GM's post above about The Orville: Since Bortus's species only has one gender, can Bortus really be considered "gay"? It seems like in his culture it's just normal to be in a relationship with someone of the same gender, since that's pretty much the only option.
Well to start with, being in a relationship with someone of the same gender is also normal in our own species.
Old 07 December 2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Well to start with, being in a relationship with someone of the same gender is also normal in our own species.
You're right; I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't. I just meant that in a species with only one gender, there wouldn't be a need for a word to describe same-sex relationships, because that would be the only kind of relationship.
Old 09 December 2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
As I'm home for a couple of weeks, I started going through my Netflix queue and looking at the "New" and "Recommended" lists. Saw Big Mouth, and ended up binge-watching it.
I finished Big Mouth in just a day or two. Hilarious, and even though the humor is vulgar, it's actually a thoughtful show. Sometimes even kind of weirdly sweet.

It's on its second season, but I recently got into Search Party and I love it. Funny, suspenseful, and often just flat out insane.
Old 09 December 2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruca View Post
I finished Big Mouth in just a day or two. Hilarious, and even though the humor is vulgar, it's actually a thoughtful show. Sometimes even kind of weirdly sweet.
Honestly, I was surprised at how mature the show was, given the premise; I was expecting it to be fairly crude. Glad I was disappointed! As you say, it was thoughtful and occasionally sweet. Kind of reminds me of Futurama that way. I'm looking forward to season 2.
Old 29 December 2017, 01:20 AM

Young Sheldon.

It's surprisingly good. I rolled my eyes when I saw the ads for it, but my husband started watching it and I along with him. It has heart, it's funny, and it makes you think sometimes. It has that "Wonder Years" kind of feel to it. Even if you hate, hate, hate the Big Bang Theory, give this one a watch. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 29 December 2017, 02:30 PM

I'm the same TGG! I am a Big Bang Theory fan and I couldn't wrap my head around the idea of a sitcom based on Sheldon as a child. Everything BBT has told us made it sound like he had a pretty tough time as a child and when we know that his parents marriage self destructed and his father became a womanizing alcoholic who died when Sheldon was about 15 (age varies depending on episode) well I wasn't seeing where the humour was going to come from!

I could not have been more wrong! I'm really enjoying Young Sheldon, the cast is awesome (and Annie Potts as MeeMaw - well that was inspired) and the writing is very good. There has been a bit of foreshadowing that does indicate they haven't forgotten that things take a bad turn for the Cooper family at some point but that's as far as they've gone.

I hope they don't plan to keep the show on long enough to deal with alcoholism, unfaithfulness and death though.
Old 02 January 2018, 12:59 AM

Based on the episode I just watched, they might "go there" someday. Sheldon's dad was hospitalized with heart problems...

Of course, in Young Sheldon he's only 9, so if his dad died when he was in his teens that might be several seasons out yet.
Old 02 January 2018, 05:25 AM

Whalephant

The second season of Better Late Than Never. Who knew George Foreman loves ABBA?
Old 02 January 2018, 08:01 PM

The US version of The Office. Yes, old, but when it was new, I watched the first 2 episodes and a random later episode, and was unimpressed - my thinking was that I was at that time so far removed from the office experience, having been a firefighter for years by then, that I no longer really appreciated the humor. However, my daughter has been binge-watching it on Netflix, she's here for the holidays, and she is in season 3 right now, and... holy crap, yes, it is hilarious. So now I'm starting the series for the first time. Only 12 years late.