snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 22 October 2017, 09:39 PM

I'm really not seeing how this new version of Mythbusters is going to succeed.
Old 29 October 2017, 01:15 AM

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but the whole Left Twixt/Right Twixt series of commercials have run the joke into the ground so far it's hitting mantel.
Old 29 October 2017, 02:11 AM

Mouse

The Left Twix/Right Twix thing wasn't funny to begin with. Yet it must have caught one with somebody.
Old 29 October 2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post

There was an ad on recently for one of those cleaning products where the mother said "I would do anything for my children's health" I think it was for one of those spray ones and she was spraying everything with it with one of those "A mother work is never done" looks on her face. I am like "settle down love".
Um that should be disinfecting sprays.
Old 31 October 2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
...as Iím watching my weekly How Itís Made marathon....
And here I thought I was the only one who binged on How It's Made.

I've even got some favorites stored on my DVR.

I really, really tried to give the new Mythbusters a chance.

Hope, ain't gonna happen.
Old 01 November 2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
The Left Twix/Right Twix thing wasn't funny to begin with. Yet it must have caught one with somebody.
Not me; I have no idea what point the ad was trying to make.

@Zylly: ...so far it's hitting mantle.
Old 02 November 2017, 03:48 PM

I hate campaign/ political commercials. At first they arenít too bad. However, when it gets closer to Election Day, it seems like every commercial during the commercial break is some political ad. And itís the same ads over and over and over again. This year, it is mostly ads saying ďvote no on issue 2.Ē And these ads have been going since shortly after the election last year. I know there will be ads in the future for political things, but it would be nice if we could go a few months without them and it wouldnít be every commercial.
Old 07 December 2017, 04:42 PM

While I don't hate the latest PajamaGram ad (radio ad), it does creep me out a bit. The spokeswoman is extolling the virtues of the company's super soft PJ set and trying to sound sexy/seductive.
Old 08 December 2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post
I hate campaign/ political commercials. At first they arenít too bad. However, when it gets closer to Election Day, it seems like every commercial during the commercial break is some political ad. And itís the same ads over and over and over again. This year, it is mostly ads saying ďvote no on issue 2.Ē And these ads have been going since shortly after the election last year. I know there will be ads in the future for political things, but it would be nice if we could go a few months without them and it wouldnít be every commercial.
One of the advantages of a very short election campaign and a ban on political ads is we don't get these.
Old 09 December 2017, 10:04 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
One of the advantages of a very short election campaign
Braggart!
Old 10 December 2017, 03:18 AM

Mouse

It's one of the many reasons I'm horribly jealous of our neighbors up north, aka those polite bastards known as Canadians. They have Universal Healthcare, whereas the US faces having our piecemeal system dismantled even more. They are ruled by Justin Trudeau who is very easy on the eyes, while the US is ruled by a radioactive Cheeto with constant racist diarrhea of the mouth. And their recent election cycle was eleven weeks, which was considered their longest yet, while in the US, eleven weeks wouldn't even get you to New Hampshire.

As if that isn't enough, they're so damn polite that you can't hate on them without feeling bad. Well-played, you Canucks.
Old 10 December 2017, 11:33 PM

That ad for microwave pizza rolls where the woman comes home from work, changes into sweats, and sits on the couch next to her husband/boyfriend/whoever. The furniture celebrates her return, and the microwave opens its door, overflowing with pizza rolls. The message seems to be, "We're a product for people who do nothing and subsist on nothing but microwaved snacks!" Which is, I guess, a good thing?
Old 11 December 2017, 12:00 PM

I don't hate this commercial- in fact part of me really likes it- but there's a message undertone I can't stand.

A mother (maybe 40s-50s? I'm bad at ages, she has gray hair) and her adult daughter are wrapping up a doctor's appointment and the doctor tells the mom she should take it easy. The two women get home and the daughter starts helping the mom work out on some exercise equipment and gradually get her strength back, and by the end they are going on some intense hike or something together. It's super cute and uplifting and "Shake, Senora" is playing in the background during the whole working out sequence.

...except I'm not really on-board with the way the doctor's advice is portrayed as being something stupid that we can all just roll our eyes at and sidestep... I know doctors aren't perfect but all I could think about was "Why was she at the doctor's in the first place? Did she have surgery and needs time to heal from it? She's going to wind up back there!!"

It bothers me because I really like the way the daughter is supporting the mom and helping her and how it portrays her mobility and stength as a good thing- it's literally just that contradicting line from the doctor at the beginning that makes my "be careful"-meter tick on.

And btw, it's a Ford commercial.
Old 11 December 2017, 12:24 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
It bothers me because I really like the way the daughter is supporting the mom and helping her and how it portrays her mobility and stength as a good thing- it's literally just that contradicting line from the doctor at the beginning that makes my "be careful"-meter tick on.

And btw, it's a Ford commercial.
Yeah, this one baffles me, too.

I hate the Toyota commercial with the Amy Acker-like voice singing What a Wonderful World while the family tailgates an RV, which slams on the brakes to avoid hitting deer in the road. After that the family zooms around the RV and speeds down the road, ignoring the fact that they could smack right into more deer.
Old 11 December 2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
radioactive Cheeto

Thanks for the early morning laugh! You may owe me some oxygen.
Old 11 December 2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruca View Post
That ad for microwave pizza rolls where the woman comes home from work, changes into sweats, and sits on the couch next to her husband/boyfriend/whoever. The furniture celebrates her return, and the microwave opens its door, overflowing with pizza rolls. The message seems to be, "We're a product for people who do nothing and subsist on nothing but microwaved snacks!" Which is, I guess, a good thing?
Speaking of pizza, the Red Baron commercial with the mom bragging that she got her family to eat their ENTIRE dinner. Which, considering it was pizza, really shouldn't be that difficult for most people.
Old 12 December 2017, 04:13 AM

Royalty

Here dans le Nord glace, we have to have winter tyres from December 15th to March 15th.

Every car commercial (eta at this time of year)proclaims they are giving the buyer "Free Winter Tyres" worth $xx when you buy a new car.

I would expect the car to have winter tyres as standard at this time of year.

We don't get the Summer Tyre Package once the weather changes so I'm not sure why it annoys me so much.

Last edited by queen of the caramels; 12 December 2017 at 04:13 AM. Reason: add eta
Old 12 December 2017, 01:08 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post

We don't get the Summer Tyre Package once the weather changes so I'm not sure why it annoys me so much.
Guess there's not a significant enough holiday during the summer months to justify having a sale. That, and I can't think of any type of summer weather that would justify special tires.
Old 12 December 2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post
Here dans le Nord glace, we have to have winter tyres from December 15th to March 15th.

Every car commercial (eta at this time of year)proclaims they are giving the buyer "Free Winter Tyres" worth $xx when you buy a new car.

I would expect the car to have winter tyres as standard at this time of year.

That's definitely not a thing here - granted the winters in Chicago are milder than yours, dealerships still don't give away winter tires or even offer them usually. Hell, were I to go buy a new sports car with summer-rated only tires as standard I'd have to buy winters separately, probably from a different vendor.

Out of curiosity, were I to buy a car there right now, and it came with "free winter tires", do I still get the standard non-winter tires as well? Or am I still on the hook for a second set of tires when it thaws out?

(I know the winter tire dance well, since my car's standard tires are very specifically rated summer only, so I had to get a second set for winter - I bought a separate set of wheels to make this easier to do, and always leave it till it's almost too late to do).
Old 12 December 2017, 11:43 PM

Royalty

I have no idea since I can't recall a spring car ad at the moment. I'm guessing it's due to the clear-out of this years models from the dealerships which seems to happen at this time of year.

There is one ad that offers rims and tyres so that one might have summer tyres as well.

I've only bought cars during the summer so I have had either all-season(when you could use them all year round) or summer tyres.