snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 05 December 2017, 06:11 PM

Interestingly, I just read a comment on an advice column that said there are various interest groups within Mensa, and recommended that as a potential way to find travel partners.
Old 05 December 2017, 06:46 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Very arrogant and elitist. .
IMO that's why many people are turned off by 'smart' people; it's not the person is smart it's that s/he looks down on others who don't know what s/he knows. IMO, there's a difference between being smart/intelligent and being snotty about it. For example, I'm better than you because I know whatever. How very special; I'm sure no one else in the world knows what you know!
Old 05 December 2017, 07:19 PM

I'm hoping my experience is not typical of Mensa members. As I said, it was enough to have me never consider the organization again. I have to admit I have an issue with the whole idea that 'we passed a test which makes us smarter than everyone else'. Which is ironically kind of stupid.

People who like to talk about how intelligent they are and people who are intelligent do form an intersecting subset, but its not an intersection that mostly envelopes either group.
Old 05 December 2017, 08:54 PM

A friend of mine had a similar experience with the State Emergency Service which is an official volunteer-led organisation that responds to emergencies such as floods and storms and bushfires. It's all about driving big trucks and using chainsaws and climbing up ladders and rappelling down things and leaping to action when people need you the most and he's already really really good at most of those things but he had a few casual interactions with some SES members and realised that the local chapter of the organisation was rife with petty office politics and posturing which he absolutely hates.

It's a damn shame, he really would have shined in the operations aspects of that organisation.
Old 06 December 2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Yeah, no kidding, but the nail in the coffin was finding out they have members who are Young Earth Creationists. At that point I realized that they really didn't have any membership standards and thus were a completely useless organization.
"Intelligence is a tool to be used towards a goal, and goals are not always chosen intelligently." - Larry Niven, Protector.
Old 06 December 2017, 01:11 AM

I find any statement about "intelligence" to be utter nonsense. Replace it with "Mojo" or "Groove" and it makes exactly as much sense.

For example, and I hope you won't mind Beachlife, not picking on your post at all but just to use yours as an example: "People who like to talk about how much Mojo they have and people with Mojo do form an intersecting subset, but its not an intersection that mostly envelopes either group." That's how it sounds to me.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 06 December 2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06 December 2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
IMO that's why many people are turned off by 'smart' people; it's not the person is smart it's that s/he looks down on others who don't know what s/he knows. IMO, there's a difference between being smart/intelligent and being snotty about it. For example, I'm better than you because I know whatever. How very special; I'm sure no one else in the world knows what you know!
DawnStorm, I know what you mean; but I've also run into people who seem to think that, say, quietly reading a book without any attempt to make a point of it is an insufferable display of snotty intelligence. How dare you read a book in public when nobody's ordering you to! You must think you're so smart!
Old 06 December 2017, 11:21 AM

Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
DawnStorm, I know what you mean; but I've also run into people who seem to think that, say, quietly reading a book without any attempt to make a point of it is an insufferable display of snotty intelligence. How dare you read a book in public when nobody's ordering you to! You must think you're so smart!
"Well, looks like we've got ourselves a reader!"
Old 06 December 2017, 11:26 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
A nearby city has a Gifted and Talented middle/high-school. Having gone there seems to be the defining attribute of many adults, even in their 30s and 40s. Many of the alumni from this school seem to use it as a way to look down on people in other gifted/talented programs in high school. The fact that their attendance was decades ago doesn't seem to occur to them.
I sometimes want to ask the people posting who are the biggest braggarts "and what have you done with your life, then? Cured cancer? Invented a replacement for fossil fuel?"
Old 06 December 2017, 11:56 AM

People who brag about their intelligence are kind of like people who brag how much they make a year or an hour. Only if they could use some of that money to buy something that would make them less of an a**hole. One of my cosins lives in San Francisco, and her mom (my aunt) has mentioned a few times that she (my cousin) makes a certain amount an hour. Yes, it is a decent amount. But she lives in San Francisco, so she needs to make that much because things are more expensive there compared to Ohio.
Old 06 December 2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Very arrogant and elitist. They have regular meetings locally and I asked what they did at their meetings. From what I was told they sit around and discuss how to solve world problems. Not in a 'how can we help' sort of way, but in a 'even only everyone was as smart as we are' sort of way.
Maybe that member was remembering a Simpson's episode, instead of an actual meeting?

ETA: The episode is called "They Saved Lisa's Brain"

FETA:
Quote:
However, Hawking has also expressed dissatisfaction regarding the impact on his notoriety caused by his appearance in the episode. In a debate with physicist Brian Cox in The Guardian, Hawking was asked what the most common misconception about his work was. He replied, "People think I'm a Simpsons character."[29] Writing for The Daily Telegraph, Peter Hutchison argued that Hawking "feels he is sometimes not properly recognised for his contribution to our understanding of the universe."[30] In his book The book is dead: long live the book, Sherman Young wrote that most people know Hawking from his appearance on The Simpsons, rather than from anything he has written
And there is America's problem in a nutshell: people believe Hawking is a Simpson's character, because no one "learns" anymore.

Last edited by Alarm; 06 December 2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06 December 2017, 01:13 PM

In defense of Mensa: I was never a Mensa member but both my parents were, and I went to some purely social Mensa events. I thought they were pretty much like any other social gathering. Not at all arrogant or elitist. I suspect a lot depends on the local chapter; some have an elitist character and some don't.
Old 06 December 2017, 01:15 PM

I'd be reluctant to judge a national group on the basis of the behavior of one chapter's members, especially if my knowledge of that behavior was based on a secondhand report from one member of that chapter.
Old 06 December 2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I sometimes want to ask the people posting who are the biggest braggarts "and what have you done with your life, then? Cured cancer? Invented a replacement for fossil fuel?"
"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
Old 06 December 2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdixo View Post
In defense of Mensa: I was never a Mensa member but both my parents were, and I went to some purely social Mensa events. I thought they were pretty much like any other social gathering. Not at all arrogant or elitist. I suspect a lot depends on the local chapter; some have an elitist character and some don't.
So it's sort of social. Demented and sad, but social.

(Sorry, but the quote popped into my head from you r post, and I had to write it down.)
Old 06 December 2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
"Well, looks like we've got ourselves a reader!"
One summer, I worked in a factory. I was reading during lunch break and was told by my supervisor that reading materials were NOT allowed in the factory at all, and if I wanted to read I would have to go to my car (which involved clocking out, then clocking back in). Otherwise, I could be fired.
Old 06 December 2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
That was one of the first things I noticed about this board when I joined. The only other place I've been where the gifted and talented outnumber everyone else is a message board for parents I once belonged to. My kids, apparently, were the only children in Ottawa either not in a gifted program or not in a gifted program but obviously should have been but were kept out by jealousy and unspecified nefariousness.
I remember a thread like that on this board, too. I was amazed that so many of the posters just happened to have been gifted-talented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I was never in a gifted class, and AP didn't exist then. I did participate in a program that allowed students to pull ahead in math (starting in the 8th grade) so that by the time I was a senior we could take calculus. Now, calculus is available to all high school seniors.
Right. That's part of why it fails to impress me that someone was in a gifted-talented thing, because the schools I attended simply didn't have any. We didn't really have an AP program; some of us went to take one of the AP tests at a school in another town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I'd be reluctant to judge a national group on the basis of the behavior of one chapter's members, especially if my knowledge of that behavior was based on a secondhand report from one member of that chapter.
Agreed.

One of my high school teachers bragged to us that he was invited to join and went to New York and met with them and thought they were snobs.

But, someone else suggested that he might have gone in there with the attitude that they're snobs and perceived them as that, or he may have conveyed the attitude that he wasn't going to like them and they picked up on that.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 06 December 2017, 04:08 PM

On the other hand, people who are prone to flaunting their Mensa membership tend to actually be snobs.
Old 06 December 2017, 05:15 PM

Blow Your Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I think that's also the same sort of attitude that leads people to deny climate change, believe vaccines are dangerous, etc. They're like "Who do those elitist scientists think they are, acting like they know more than me just because they have a fancy degree and spent their careers studying the subject?"
Old 06 December 2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I remember a thread like that on this board, too. I was amazed that so many of the posters just happened to have been gifted-talented...
I don't know why this would be amazing. This board, or any message board, is not a random sampling of the population. It is a group that have been brought together because of an interest in the main site. I would fully expect that people who are drawn to this board to be more likely to be well read and well educated, because of the topics that are generally discussed and because of the quality of the writing that is generally seen here. If you stop by here and read people discussing current political events, or up to date scientific information, and doing so clearly, it can absolutely be intimidating. If you think you can't keep up, it would be pretty easy to decide not to join in. I think that for the most part the board is pretty welcoming, so people shouldn't be scared off, but I bet that it happens.

This would be the same thing for other boards. The only other board I go to with any regularity is built around an online fantasy comic strip. The people there talk comics, games, movies, and so on, but the board rules prevent any discussion of religion, politics, or things along those lines. There are passionate people who have very strong opinions about pop culture, and they say some interesting things, but the level of writing is far below what is seen here. From a G&T standpoint, I would expect that board to reflect society at large. But if the question asked was how many gaming systems people have, I would expect that almost everyone participating has multiple systems. I would also expect that almost everyone has seen the big SFX movies within the first few weeks of opening. A thread there about what movies you have seen would be radically different than here.