snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 14 November 2017, 08:45 PM

Florida Potential Fourth Murder Victim of Tampa Serial Killer Found

A Florida man walking to church to feed the homeless is believed to have become the fourth victim of a serial killer shooting people at random in Tampa.

Ronald Felton, 60, was fatally shot just blocks from a memorial honoring three people who were killed within days of one another last month in the neighborhood of Seminole Heights in Tampa.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ce-say-n820566
Old 29 November 2017, 09:24 PM

Default Tampa killings suspect charged with 4 counts of murder

After a nearly two-month search, Tampa police arrested and charged a 24-year-old man with four counts of murder in connection to a series of fatal shootings that had terrified residents in the city's Seminole Heights neighborhood.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/28/us/tam...hts/index.html
Old 30 November 2017, 10:24 PM

Icon24

I don't think the press in the UK would be allowed to publish an article with as much detail as the second one, in between the charge and the trial. It certainly seems to be assuming his guilt, to me.

Having said that, let's assume his guilt. This is how he was caught:

Quote:
Police said they received a tip on Tuesday around 2:40 p.m. from a McDonald's manager about a man who had a gun in a bag at the fast food restaurant. ...

Donaldson worked at that McDonald's, Dugan said, and went there earlier in the day. He gave the manager a gun in a paper bag for safe-keeping, police said. The manager then gave the weapon to a police officer, who called for backup and detained Donaldson for more questioning.
Which bit of it led the manager to tip off the police? I don't know the exact laws in Florida, but wouldn't having a gun in that situation be perfectly legal and above board? That's the impression I have, anyway. Maybe he needed it for self-defence on his way home, or something?

Assuming that they have the right guy, it's lucky for the other residents of the area that his manager didn't respect his right to carry a gun, and found it suspicious enough to call the police.
Old 01 December 2017, 02:47 AM

I don't know the exact culture in that part of Florida; but IMO it would be weird to give somebody a gun in a paper bag, or in a non-paper container for that matter, to hold for you; at least, unless the gun owner were engaged in illegal stuff, and the person they were giving it to knew about it.

If you're carrying it legally, nobody else needs to hold it for you. If you just want them to hold it while, say, you go swimming or play with your three-year-old who grabs things, why the paper bag?

People carry rifles around here fairly frequently during deer season, and occasionally at other times of year. But I'd be pretty taken aback if somebody showed up with a gun -- rifle or otherwise -- and asked me to hold it for them. Along with twelve boxes of other stuff because they'd had to move unexpectedly, sure (though I'd certainly want to know it was in there); but not by itself.
Old 01 December 2017, 03:22 AM

If anyone, friend, relative, or coworker, handed me a gun for "safekeeping", I'd be like "WTF?! Why do you have a gun?! Why the eff are you giving it to me?! NO." For me it's a red flag that something suspicious is taking place. That is not something anyone would have an above-the-board reason to do. The term "safekeeping" implies that the man has a reason to hide the gun. You generally don't ask someone hold a gun for you unless you don't want to be found with it. I mean, theoretically there could be a scenario where a person needs to temporarily safely store a gun away from small children or something, but the circumstances of bringing it to work and putting it in a bag are extremely irresponsible even if there were no other red flags. Perhaps the manager had noted other suspicious behavior as well.

However, I am staunchly anti-gun, so this may color my view.
Old 01 December 2017, 04:13 AM

I, too, would find that highly suspicious and irresponsible. Everyone I know with a gun (a total of 4 people) keeps it in a safe, and I can count on one hand the times in my life I’ve seen a civilian out in public, armed. So if anyone tried to give me a weapon in a paper bag, I would call the police the moment I was out of ear shot.

I did read (though I can’t find it right now), that the shooter’s coworkers at McDonald’s had been teasing him about the manhunt, however. They thought the suspect in the surveillance videos looked like him, though they didn’t actually suspect him. Maybe the gun in the bag tipped the balance.
Old 01 December 2017, 11:47 AM

Just to be pedantic, I think the headline of the first article should have been "Possible Fourth Murder Victim of Tampa Serial Killer Found" and not "Potential Fourth Murder Victim of Tampa Serial Killer Found".
Old 01 December 2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I don't think the press in the UK would be allowed to publish an article with as much detail as the second one, in between the charge and the trial. It certainly seems to be assuming his guilt, to me.
To me, that article reads like the cops are assuming his guilt, which I assume they are, or they wouldn't have arrested him. It doesn't read to me like the writer shares that assumption.

And I'm with everyone else on the gun thing. "Here, hold this for me" would raise huge red flags with me.

ETA: Probably the manager called the cops because he was afraid of being implicated in any crimes that might be associated with the gun.
Old 01 December 2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I don't know the exact laws in Florida, but wouldn't having a gun in that situation be perfectly legal and above board? That's the impression I have, anyway. Maybe he needed it for self-defence on his way home, or something?
Possibly not legal if the McDonalds had a policy against employees bringing weapons to work (it would be considered trespassing IMS). Also, if the suspect needed the gun for self-defense, he'd just put it with the rest of his stuff. Every fast food place I've worked has had a storage room or lockers for employees to put there personal stuff like purses, backpacks, etc.
Old 01 December 2017, 06:12 PM

Baseball

I suspect that the manager had some inkling. He knows his people, and one of them that he is leery of hands him a weapon in a bag to "hold onto". It is perfectly sensible to me that he called the police.
Old 01 December 2017, 11:06 PM

There was a cop in the restaurant at the time and she (the manager) showed him the gun and informed him the employee had said he planned to leave the state. The gun has been identified as the murder weapon and the manager is being given a $110,000 reward.