snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 16 November 2017, 08:04 PM

My son's school just called. Lice is going around the classroom. My wife checked, and my son has it. *sigh* He has VERY long hair, so there could be a lot of things hiding in there. It REALLY annoys me that one kid in the class knew he had lice last week, but his parents didn't tell the teacher until today. My son worked with the kid on a big project last week.

Last edited by dfresh; 16 November 2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 17 November 2017, 10:53 AM

TMI for cellulitis rash.

About a week ago I went to the doctor and started a course of antibioitics for a cellulitis infection in my ear that was swelled up so much it was affecting my hearing on that side, and painful enough it was also interrupting my sleep anytime I rolled over to sleep on that side. Today and tomorrow contain my last pairs of doses but I can feel there's still some... uh... cushion-y-ness in the ear where the swelling had been? Is that normal as it's "deflating" or might the infection still be going on? I am worried that once I finish the antibioitcs it's just going to come back up again.

I guess I ought ot ask the doctor. I would rather not pay to go back though if I don't have to.

Another LTTAm: I lost a $20 bill earlier this week, I think I put it in my pocket and then when I was taking out or putting in smoething else, the 20 fell out. I don't exactly have tons of them to be sparing right now, and I feel like i need to make up for it by avoiding what I "would have" spent it on for the next few weeks.
Old 17 November 2017, 01:54 PM

IANAD, but it is my experience that antibiotics are usually prescribed beyond the point at which the infection is usually gone to make sure that they completely get rid of it. This is why the instructions tell you to keep taking them even after you feel better. If you are almost out and still feel like it isn't cleared up, you may not be rid of it. If nothing else, you should be able to call the doctor's office and ask, "I'm almost done with my doses, but my ear canal still feels swollen. Should I come back in?" Chances are they will say yes, but there is a chance the doctor will say that that is normal and to check back in a week or so if it doesn't clear up.
Old 17 November 2017, 02:24 PM

Glasses

Thrift stores that tape their CDs shut so you can't check the condition of the disk before you buy it.

Seaboe
Old 17 November 2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
IANAD, but it is my experience that antibiotics are usually prescribed beyond the point at which the infection is usually gone to make sure that they completely get rid of it. This is why the instructions tell you to keep taking them even after you feel better. If you are almost out and still feel like it isn't cleared up, you may not be rid of it. If nothing else, you should be able to call the doctor's office and ask, "I'm almost done with my doses, but my ear canal still feels swollen. Should I come back in?" Chances are they will say yes, but there is a chance the doctor will say that that is normal and to check back in a week or so if it doesn't clear up.
I wound up checking with my fiance who is a resident doctor. He said it's normal for there to still be some edema, but as long as the pain and itching is gone it means it's pretty much better and I shouldn't have to worry.
Thank you for the advice, though- I just happened to read his before yours
Old 17 November 2017, 08:08 PM

There's been something bothering me about the Liberty Mutual commercials, where someone talks with the Statue of Liberty in the background. I haven't been able to put my finger on it until just now. There is no place on land where someone could be standing with the Statue of Liberty that close and at that angle.
Old 17 November 2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Thrift stores that tape their CDs shut so you can't check the condition of the disk before you buy it.
When I buy used video games, the store always opens the package to check for visible scratches before they sell it. I assume this is for their protection too, so someone with a scratched up game can't buy another copy, then return their bad one as if it were the one they just bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
There's been something bothering me about the Liberty Mutual commercials, where someone talks with the Statue of Liberty in the background. I haven't been able to put my finger on it until just now. There is no place on land where someone could be standing with the Statue of Liberty that close and at that angle.
I assume it is forced perspective from Governor's Island Picnic Point.
Old 17 November 2017, 08:25 PM

That's what I thought too, but the angle is wrong, not to mention that there aren't cars on governors island:

Article with picture

View from picnic point
Old 17 November 2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
When I buy used video games, the store always opens the package to check for visible scratches before they sell it. I assume this is for their protection too, so someone with a scratched up game can't buy another copy, then return their bad one as if it were the one they just bought.
Though that wouldn't stop them from selling a scratched-up game that wouldn't play on occasion. Had a few that I'd get home only to find my Playstation wouldn't play it, took it back the next day and they tried to avoid taking it back saying it was too scratched.
Old 19 November 2017, 02:54 PM

It's a beautiful day with a nice breeze, so I opened up all the windows in my house.

Then one of my neighbors lit a cigar.
Old 19 November 2017, 03:10 PM

I watched the Netflix Punisher series fairly quickly but one of the major plot points was still spoilered for me online.

I'll probably see the Justice League film tomorrow and I also had one of its major plot points spoilered but I'm not really all that invested in the film and it was a pretty obvious plot development so I don't care as much.
Old 19 November 2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Though that wouldn't stop them from selling a scratched-up game that wouldn't play on occasion. Had a few that I'd get home only to find my Playstation wouldn't play it, took it back the next day and they tried to avoid taking it back saying it was too scratched.
The shops round here seem OK about it. I got a second-hand game a while ago that wouldn't install, even though it had no visible scratches. I took it back to CEX and they changed it straight away with no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
That's what I thought too, but the angle is wrong, not to mention that there aren't cars on governors island:

Article with picture

View from picnic point
It looks about right to me, at least if you go a bit further south than you're at in that Street View picture. And there are definitely some cars on Governor's Island looking at the aerial view on Google Maps. They look like they're mostly work vehicles, but it's clear that they could get a car to that point if they wanted one for the advert. Seems much more likely that it's filmed from Governor's Island than that they've built some sort of floating platform or computer manipulation just to make it look as though it's filmed from a point a few metres off-shore of Governor's Island for no particular reason.
Old 19 November 2017, 05:04 PM

Comparing the two photos in Beachlife's post, it doesn't appear the angle would be correct to say the commercial was shot near Governor's Island. Compare the trees in the background and the angle of the base, and that would suggest the Statue background is taken from a location further south than Governor's Island.

Also, looking at the Google Earth street view photos on Governor's Island, the fence isn't correct.

Looking further south, but north of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, the pedestrian areas there have fence which more closely resemble the fence in the commercial, but looking at Google Earth street view, there is no way the angle would work. Perhaps the backgound is merged right at the top of the horizontal bar of the fence. Another possibility, as mentioned by Richard is a floating platform with the fence and vehicle.
Old 19 November 2017, 05:17 PM

The most probable solution is that the statue was photographed from someplace and the park and fence are in a studio with the statue added in.
Old 20 November 2017, 12:58 AM

Yeah those ads are definitely digitally altered. This one gives it away:

Old 20 November 2017, 01:57 AM

Icon108

I don't find it nearly as annoying as her anatomically anomalous shoulder joint.
Old 20 November 2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I'll probably see the Justice League film tomorrow and I also had one of its major plot points spoilered but I'm not really all that invested in the film and it was a pretty obvious plot development so I don't care as much.
UPDATE: I still haven't seen the film but I've now had the major plot twist, the ending and the post-credits scene spoilered.
Old 20 November 2017, 03:04 AM

Icon103

LTTAM: Family drama got me writing a novel here. Feel free to skip it; I just need to vent.

I had wanted to plan a surprise party for my husband's 30th birthday this month. Our apartment isn't conducive to entertaining, but ever since our wedding last year he's been talking about how much fun it was and how he wishes we could get married again every year. Several months ago when he mentioned that for the umpteenth time, I reminded him that he had a milestone birthday coming up and told him that would be a great excuse for such a party. He initially expressed interest, but then started going down his anxiety wormhole of excuses not to, such as the cost and the possibility that people wouldn't come. He does this all the time with social engagements; he psyches himself out and sometimes bails, but when I persuade him to go anyway he always ends up having a great time. He knows he does this, he acknowledges it and tries to talk sense into himself in the moment, and he's in therapy and on meds for anxiety and depression, but there's no magic cure, so round and round we go. I get frustrated sometimes but love him to pieces anyway, and he's great about my irrational anxieties, so it's all good.

Anyway, I figured a surprise party would be perfect; he wouldn't have a chance to get all worked up in advance because he wouldn't know about it until it was happening. I thought about doing it at a restaurant, but I thought it might be less expensive and perhaps even more pleasant to do it at my parents' house, like we did for the wedding. My mom and I had some drama with the wedding planning; she tried to control my choice of dress and made a major issue of my desire to have a chocolate fountain after I let her have her way on literally every other aspect of the event, but I guess in an effort to make peace I convinced myself that she'd only been so extra because WEDDING which somehow brings out the crazy in folks. So I guess I should have known better than to involve her in the planning of this party, but I did it anyway.

I made sure to explain to her my reasons for wanting to throw a surprise party specifically, and she indicated she understood. But the very next time we were all together, she straight-up asked my husband if he'd like a party for his birthday, and when he tentatively indicated some potential interest, she started in with all the planning details: did he want a taco truck? Which of these 57 caterers for which she's printed out dozens of reviews each did he think would work? Did he think his brother would come down from northern California? What about his brother's wife? But what about the fact that it's OND (October/November/December, the busiest season for winemakers, which is what his brother's wife is)? Should we do it outside or inside? Because if we do it outside we need to do it early enough in the day that it's not too cold, but inside we only have space for so many. How many people are you planning to invite anyway? Do you think they'll all come? I guess we could rent heaters for outside but those are expensive. Etc., etc., on she went, over days and weeks, in person and via email, hitting all his anxiety points, until he got overwhelmed and called the whole thing off.

I was annoyed, as much at myself for letting this happen as at my mom for her role. But I figured the idea was dead in the water; itís one thing to plan a surprise party for someone who once said he liked the idea but had a few reservations; itís another to go on secretly planning a party for someone who just explicitly said he didn't want one. I floated some other ideas for special things the two of us could do, including a mini vacation on Veteran's Day weekend; he wasn't sure what he wanted. I finally told him how I'd been planning a surprise party and my mom blew it, and he was disappointed; he agreed that the aggressive planning had overwhelmed him but he would've loved a surprise party.

I wasn't going to give my mom a hard time, but she brought it up the next time I saw her; she seemed to realize what she'd done. She apologized profusely, which I guess was a nice thing for her to do, but she was so over-the-top with the self-flagellation that I ended up comforting and reassuring her. She asked if we could still do it; with less than a month to go I told her it was rather short notice, but maybe I could pull off something small. I told her I felt I needed a critical mass for it to be worth doing-- at least six of his friends, preferably all those who had to skip the wedding due to scheduling conflicts. She agreed and said she'd find a caterer who would be available and flexible last-minute.

Two weeks later I was still struggling to corral the troops, plus we'd lost a couple attorneys at work, so I was at the office till 10 every night scrambling to keep up. When my mom texted me to ask what was happening, I told her the party wasn't happening and I was too overwhelmed and exhausted to talk more. I told my husband we'd do whatever he wanted for his birthday weekend, but he'd have to make a decision soon. He didnít decide and my mom didn't drop it. She sent me several emails saying "even if the party's off, we should still do something. Maybe dinner at our house with a few of your friends?" I told her my husband was waffling about a trip and I couldn't force him to make a decision, and that I needed to get back to work. Finally, about 2 days before his birthday weekend, my husband asked if we could maybe go to Palm Springs. I found a resort there with its own water park and another with its own natural hot springs, both very well reviewed, and asked which one he'd prefer. He picked the first one, I booked their last room, and we were off.

My mom emailed me the following week to say she'd seen our pictures on Facebook and was glad we came up with something fun, and oh by the way are you mad at me? Part of me screamed, "don't touch that! It's a trap!" But I had been a little peeved about the whole thing, and I don't feel good about lying about that; I kind of feel like it's a form of gaslighting since some of your irritation is bound to show even as you deny it. So I told her that I had been a little annoyed when she kept pressing me to throw a party after I told her it was off, but that I was over it.

Well. She fired back with a very creative recasting of events, in which she had turned down a concert with friends and stayed home that whole weekend because the last conversation we'd had was that I was definitely having the party but hadn't said which day or what time, and it wasn't fair for me to be mad at her because if anything she should be mad at me.

Now I really am mad.
Old 20 November 2017, 03:49 AM

You wanted to do something nice for your husband, who sounds like he's a little hard to do things for, and your mom is making it about her. You're perfectly justified in being upset about that.
Old 20 November 2017, 12:13 PM

When my co-workers send out calendar notices for their out-of-office time, they forget to turn the reminder off. Dude, if you're gone for a week, I don't need a damn Outlook reminder every day you're gone.
Closed Thread