snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 08 November 2017, 01:42 AM

Mouse

To add to the long list of shit being dredged up about the shooter, in addition to domestic violence charges, he also beat his toddler stepson enough that the kid suffered a skull fracture.

Needless to say, I've pretty much reached the point where zero is the number of NFBSKs I have when it comes to the NRA and the anti-control nuts, period.

While some NRA spokesman has probably slithered out of his dank swamp to say, "More guns would have solved all this," can we agree from here on out to not quote anyone associated with that organization when it comes to these mass shooting incidents? We all know the NRA believes that every problem, including rain on your wedding day and ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife*, can be solved with more guns. There's no reason to keep going to them for quotes, because their answer will not change. If we must mention the NRA, just do a one-line mention along the lines of, "The NRA blamed the victims and said more guns would have solved all this," and move on.

Though when the Black Panthers were active and encouraging Blacks to arm themselves, the NRA and the Right were suddenly in favor of gun control. Also, the NRA was oddly silent on the Philando Castile matter, even though it's exactly the kind of situation they do all their fear-mongering about: a law-abiding citizen killed by the state for nonviolently exercising the rights given to him as a citizen.

*For the record, about the only problem guns would solve in the Alanis Morissette song, is the one about a free ride when you've already paid. As for the rest of it? You're out of luck.
Old 08 November 2017, 01:52 AM

On the way to work today, I heard the CGIC in a press conference answer a question about increased vetting for gun sales and gun permits answer with something along the lines of "If there'd been increased vetting before, that hero in Texas probably wouldn't have had his rifle, and there would have been a lot more deaths!"

"Um, no, dummy" I thought to myself. "Increased vetting would only stop people who SHOULDN'T have guns (Like the Texas shooter) from getting guns. If the "hero" in Texas didn't have any skeletons in his closet, he'd still have his rifle."

What a moron.
Old 08 November 2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Those kevlar vests work for low velocity rounds, but more specifically they work wonders with knives (which police officers are more likely to come across).
The ones that police in the UK wear are actually called "stab vests" rather than any sort of bullet-proof / -resistant claim. I don't know whether they're the same as the ones police wear in the USA though, because police here are less likely to be randomly shot (as is everybody else too).
Old 08 November 2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
On the way to work today, I heard the CGIC in a press conference answer a question about increased vetting for gun sales and gun permits answer with something along the lines of "If there'd been increased vetting before, that hero in Texas probably wouldn't have had his rifle, and there would have been a lot more deaths!"

"Um, no, dummy" I thought to myself. "Increased vetting would only stop people who SHOULDN'T have guns (Like the Texas shooter) from getting guns. If the "hero" in Texas didn't have any skeletons in his closet, he'd still have his rifle."

What a moron.
Don't even try to understand their logic, they just don't want to lose their guns.

I came here to say that the news panel type show I watch here spoke to someone from the US about this latest incident of gun deaths and asked if anything would make someone bring in any form of gun control. They reply "it is too soon after the incident for us to talk about that" Every single person on the panel, left leaning or right leaning were like Cause, as they said what is the time frame to talk about it? It just keeps happening.
Old 08 November 2017, 04:23 PM

I want to ask those who say it is too soon what they really mean. Is it too soon after Sutherland Springs or Colorado or Las Vegas or San Bernadino or whatever going back.
Old 08 November 2017, 04:34 PM

It will always be too soon because the survivors of a lone wolf attack* and friends and family of those killed deserve better than to have those evil Democrats use their tragedy to score political points. We can only have a discussion about gun violence when every single person who knew someone who was killed by a gun and anyone they talked to about it have themselves passed away.

* But not ISIS-inspired, ISIS-associated, or ISIS-adjacent attacks. The survivors of those attacks and friends and family of those killed deserve instant action to prevent such an attack and how dare those evil Democrats suggest that we should wait even one second to get actual information before we act.
Old 08 November 2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

This is the most famous example I know of where armored shooters were hit multiple times by shots their armor protected them from.
Of course the article states the armor was "mostly homemade," so a ban might not have helped that much....

(Also, it was a bank robbery, not just a shooting spree; not quite the same kind of event.)

Still, quite interesting -- thank you. I'd forgotten the incident and don't think I was particularly aware of the details.
Old 08 November 2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I want to ask those who say it is too soon what they really mean.
They mean: We do not want to have this discussion. Ever.
Old 08 November 2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Of course the article states the armor was "mostly homemade," so a ban might not have helped that much....

(Also, it was a bank robbery, not just a shooting spree; not quite the same kind of event.)

Still, quite interesting -- thank you. I'd forgotten the incident and don't think I was particularly aware of the details.
They were both wearing Kevlar vests that they'd augmented with additional armor made from vests that had been cut up and resown.
Old 08 November 2017, 10:47 PM

Default Texas: Is domestic violence a common theme in mass shootings?

US gun laws are really complicated and differ from state to state, but across the country people with domestic violence convictions cannot buy a gun, a rule that has been in place for 20 years.

So what is the relationship between domestic violence and shootings in the US? Is domestic abuse a good indicator that someone will ultimately become a mass murderer?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41906203
Old 09 November 2017, 12:52 AM

Mouse

According to Samantha Bee, abused spouses/lovers are often the canaries in the coal mine when it comes to these mass shooters. It kind of makes sense. The vast majority of shooters seem to be white guys and only on occasion, is there an ideology, such as White Supremacism, behind it. Most of them are assholes suffering from an overinflated ego/sense of entitlement.

Not surprisingly, people who believe that they deserve whatever they want tend to lash out violently, when they don't get what they want when they want it. So it shouldn't be too surprising that these shitstains invariably have domestic violence charges on their records, because beneath all this bravado, is a cowardly core at the center; hence why when they lash out, they do against those weaker than them.

Based on what I've already typed, I probably shouldn't be too surprised that this asshole still managed to get guns despite all the domestic violence charges, but I still remain appalled that even beating a toddler bad enough to cause a skull fracture, wasn't enough. Yeah, beating up romantic partners is a horrible, shitty thing to do, but at the same time, I don't have too much time believing that there's still an ingrained "Bitches be crazy," mindset interwoven into our culture. But a toddler?! WTF?!
Old 09 November 2017, 01:16 AM

White people are statistically underrepresented in mass shootings statistics:

Mass Shooters Aren’t Disproportionately White

There are more white shooters because there are proportionally more white people in this country.
Old 26 December 2017, 09:07 PM

Default Cities sue Defense Department over failed gun checks after Texas massacre

Three large U.S. cities filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday against the Department of Defense, arguing that many service members who are disqualified from gun ownership weren't reported to the national background check system.

New York City, San Francisco and Philadelphia said in court papers that the military's broken system for relaying such information helped spur the massacre of 26 people inside a Texas church last month.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...-texas-n832656
Old 27 December 2017, 07:55 AM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
There are more white shooters because there are proportionally more white people in this country.
From what evidence do you draw that conclusion? Post hoc ergo propter hoc? (I don't really want to get into the question of the stat itself, which has been questioned form all sides. Most notably, the definition of mass shooting varies greatly and IMO is quite different from what I think most people would consider the term to mean.)
Old 28 December 2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
...the definition of mass shooting varies greatly and IMO is quite different from what I think most people would consider the term to mean.)
Kind of like the definition of a "small business". A 500 person business is often classified as "small".
Old 29 December 2017, 01:25 AM

Mouse

I was told an incident is classified as a mass shooting if it involves four people being shot in roughly the same location.
Old 29 December 2017, 01:32 AM

That's just one of many definitions. By some common definitions there is almost one per day and by others less than 100 in 15 years. It seems like some even use the broad definition to claim that whites are "underrepresented" and, at the same time, a much more narrow one to claim that, for example, they aren't increasing or they are rarer than people think.