snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 27 October 2017, 06:44 AM

It is exactly the same after every event of this kind. The people who do this basically do not believe the people they insult are real, you can see the same phenomenon with the earlier Sandy Hook 'Truthers', here are a couple of good podcast episodes on the earlier event.

League of Nerds, Episode 89: Sandy Hook was not a Hoax
https://theleagueofnerds.co.uk/2015/...as-not-a-hoax/

League of Nerds, Episode 145: Sandy Hook Hoax Response
https://theleagueofnerds.co.uk/2016/...hoax-response/

It's best to listen to both episodes as then what happens in the second episode where the responses from Truthers are discussed makes more sense.
Old 17 July 2018, 05:26 PM

Default MGM sues Las Vegas shooting victims and survivors, claiming no liability

MGM Resorts International is suing more than 1,000 victims and other survivors of last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas, claiming it has no liability for the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/las-veg...-no-liability/
Old 17 July 2018, 06:51 PM

I can't imagine that that's going to work out well for them.
Old 17 July 2018, 06:54 PM

I can certainly see MGM believing they have no legal responsibility, but the method of establishing that by suing the victims seems odd.
Old 17 July 2018, 07:02 PM

This came up in a different context recently, and I had never heard of it at the time, but I can see how the legal process works. It allows the potential defendant in a bunch of separate lawsuits to establish their non-liability and not have to deal with it piece-meal, and also not have a sort of cloud of uncertainty over them.

On the other hand, it's a pretty bold move from a public image stance, suing a bunch of victims just to prove that they can't sue you. Hardball tactics with tragedy victims.
Old 17 July 2018, 07:21 PM

I just want to say that I was relieved when I clicked this thread to see that it was just an old thread that got bumped. When I saw the topic on the main forum page my first thought was that there was another shooting.
Old 17 July 2018, 07:56 PM

Me too. Same thought.
Old 17 July 2018, 09:28 PM

Yeah, I had to read the headlines on the stories about this two or three times before I believed they said what I thought they said.

Of course, they aren't actually trying to get money from anyone. They're trying to get the lawsuits moved to federal court. Per an NBC news story:

Quote:
...the Support Anti-Terrorism by Fostering Effective Technologies, or Safety Act, protects corporations in the event of mass attacks committed on U.S. soil, provided services certified by the Department of Homeland Security were deployed....because MGM had hired Contemporary Services Corporation, a security vendor for the concert whose services had been certified by the Department of Homeland Security, it claims it followed the requirements of the Safety Act.
But, if you want a candidate for "Worst PR Move By a Corporation" award, I can't think of much that can compete with this.
Old 17 July 2018, 09:36 PM

As a side not, it is not the Safety Act, it is the Satfet Act.

As far as the PR issue goes, is loss of PR more severe that the potential costs the lawsuits for 2,400 victims and/or the judgments thereof?
Old 17 July 2018, 10:12 PM

I'm guessing it's supposed to be SAFE-T Act.

And I'm sure the PR calculation included the fact that they would take a PR hit every time a new suit was filed, or anything happened in those suits that was newsworthy.