snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 04 March 2017, 01:40 AM

Chicken Subway disputes report that only half of its chicken is actual chicken

Subway says test results contradict a report that it’s chicken is made up of only half chicken DNA.

A Canadian study reported by CBC found that the rest of the chicken in Subway sandwiches contains soy. The oven-roasted chicken scored 53.6 percent chicken DNA, and the chicken strips were just 42.8 percent DNA, the study found.

http://www.9news.com/life/food/subwa...cken/419682472
Old 04 March 2017, 03:06 AM

I thought that Subway's chicken tasted funny.
Old 06 March 2017, 01:21 PM

Chicken

I'm wary of reports that say "So-and-so restaurant's X contains little or no X". Nonetheless, I remember once seeing a piece of literature from Subway about lighter options, and the fine print said something to the effect that all the meat mentioned was turkey-based. This included ham. While I am aware of products that can be called "turkey ham", I'm pretty sure that if you order a ham sandwich anywhere in the USA you have to get something made out of a pig.

For the record, I think it likely that I was seriously misreading the statement, or Subway slipped up in the editing. It still made me doubt what I was eating.
Old 06 March 2017, 03:35 PM

Turkey ham is a real thing.
Old 06 March 2017, 08:28 PM

Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Turkey ham is a real thing.
I acknowledged that a turkey product called "turkey ham" exists. My point is - as the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations says - "the word 'ham', without any prefix indicating the species of animal from which derived, shall be used in labeling only in connection with the hind legs of swine".
Old 06 March 2017, 10:05 PM

But you've provided no actual evidence that your assertion is correct in the first place.
Old 06 March 2017, 10:11 PM

What assertion?
Old 06 March 2017, 10:17 PM

His memory is correct, regardless of whether he actually made an assertion.

Quote:
Can't decide what kind of meat you want? Get them all. The Cold Cut Combo is stacked with turkey-based meats - ham, salami and bologna. It's topped with crisp vegetables and served on freshly baked bread. This combo has a little bit of everything.
While it may be turkey-based, I'd assume it still has pig in it, personally.

And I'd be wrong apparently.

I found this:

COLD CUT COMBO: Turkey Bologna: Mechanically separated turkey, water, contains less than 2% of: salt, corn syrup solids, potassium lactate, dextrose, sodium diacetate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite, flavorings. Turkey Ham: Cured turkey thigh meat, salt, contains less than 2% of: potassium lactate, brown sugar, sodium tripolyphosphate, dextrose, sodium diacetate, sodium erythorbate, smoke flavor, sodium nitrite, water. Turkey Salami: Dark turkey, mechanically separated turkey, water, salt, contains less than 2% of: potassium lactate, sugar, sodium tripolyphosphate, dextrose, spice and flavorings, sodium diacetate, sodium erythorbate, smoke flavor, sodium nitrite.

Last edited by St. Alia; 06 March 2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06 March 2017, 10:35 PM

I stand corrected.
Old 07 March 2017, 12:55 PM

Icon05

Just to set the record straight: I made no assertion, I only told a story about my perception of some Subway products, which was fueled by my reading of the nutrition information. (And in the name of full disclosure, the quote of federal regulations comes from Wikipedia, but it seems to be accurate.) Now that St. Alia has found the smoking gun (smoked ham gun?) it seems to me that Subway, in excluding a prefix in the phrase "ham, salami and bologna" is in violation of federal law. Any experts out there want to weigh in?

Three observations- one serious, one opinionated, one frivolous:

1. Is ALL ham at Subway turkey ham? I can't find an ingredient list for any of their meats on the website. I haven't eaten there in a while, but I don't remember the ham for the cold cut combo being different from the one used for a ham sandwich. This would amplify the mislabeling issue.

2. Although I accept that "turkey ham" is recognized as a real thing, I refuse to use the term without quotes around it. Let's not allow western civilization to sink to a point where a true ham can contain no mammal flesh.

3. I find the term "mechanically separated turkey" to have a strange combination of vibes about it - kind of a science-fictiony bestiality-based romantic tragedy.
Old 07 March 2017, 05:01 PM

Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
it seems to me that Subway, in excluding a prefix in the phrase "ham, salami and bologna" is in violation of federal law.
Except that they didn't exclude a prefix - it was in the preceding phrase:

Quote:
Can't decide what kind of meat you want? Get them all. The Cold Cut Combo is stacked with turkey-based meats - ham, salami and bologna. It's topped with crisp vegetables and served on freshly baked bread. This combo has a little bit of everything.
Now, had they used regular ham instead of turkey ham, you would have a case for false advertising; in this instance, you do not.
Old 07 March 2017, 06:33 PM

Read This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Except that they didn't exclude a prefix - it was in the preceding phrase:
Quote:
Now, had they used regular ham instead of turkey ham, you would have a case for false advertising; in this instance, you do not.
I wouldn't consider that a prefix. I think it would have to say "The Cold Cut Combo is stacked with turkey-based meats - turkey ham, turkey salami and turkey bologna". (I know that's technically not a prefix either, but I think that's what the law wants.) And while "turkey-based" is in this specific ad, I don't think it's actually mentioned on the menu boards at Subway. BTW, I wouldn't call three types of processed turkey to be "get[ting] them all".
Old 07 March 2017, 07:13 PM

From the Subway Canada website.

Which SUBWAY menu items are pork-free?

The following sandwiches and salads are pork free: Meatball Marinara, Cold Cut Trio™ (US only), Tuna, Roast Beef, SUBWAY Seafood & Crab®, Turkey Breast, Steak & Cheese, Roasted Chicken and Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki. Additionally, our vegetables, sauces and cheeses are pork free.

Same question on US site
The following sandwiches and salads ingredients are pork free: Meatball Marinara, Cold Cut Combo™ (US only), Tuna, Roast Beef, SUBWAY® Seafood Sensation®, Turkey Breast, Steak & Cheese, Roasted Chicken and Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki. Additionally, our vegetables, sauces and cheeses are pork free. All breads are pork free with the exception of the NEW Garlic bread, which contains gelatin.

So it looks like its only the Ham in the Cold Cut combo in US that's "turkey ham".
Old 08 March 2017, 01:05 PM

Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
So it looks like its only the Ham in the Cold Cut combo in US that's "turkey ham".
I feel better now. Thanks. I wonder what led to the decision to use them in that one sandwich?
Old 08 March 2017, 03:47 PM

Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I feel better now. Thanks. I wonder what led to the decision to use them in that one sandwich?
To be precise... the decision to use 3 turkey based cold cuts in a sandwich that's supposed to be about 3 different types of meat.
It would be like saying you made a sandwich with 3 kinds of cheese: white cheddar, yellow cheddar and marble cheddar...

Old 08 March 2017, 04:19 PM

The sandwich is based around the idea that it has three different tastes of meat, not so much about which animal it came from. Otherwise, you wouldn't have sandwiches with ham and bacon.
Old 08 March 2017, 05:04 PM

There's a fair amount of processing (and spices, etc) that is involved with making lunch meats. It's not that complex to make one type of meat taste like another, especially when flavoring "up" to darker meats. What I mean by that is that it's easier to make turkey bologna tastes like pork bologna, whereas it's harder to make beef tastes like oven roasted turkey.

I make sausages, and occasionally cured meats. I was able to fool my Bavarian friend when I made weisswurst (traditionally made from mostly veal) using chicken.

OY
Old 10 March 2017, 03:37 PM

France

From Cracked ( http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_2...ggressive-ads/ )