snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 07 January 2017, 09:10 PM

Germany Blood Pancakes Are The Most Metal of All Flapjacks

A balanced breakfast is an important meal in just about every society in the world, but not many of them require a blood sacrifice. If that is the sort of thing you’re looking for, though, feast your eyes on the “blood pancake.” The traditional dish, known asveriohukainen in Finnish and blodplättar in Swedish, is exactly what it sounds like: a flapjack made with a healthy helping of blood.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/why-blood-pancakes

1. If you are squeamish about blood, don't read the article - but then, you probably should not have clicked on the thread!

2. I know the article mentions making these in Scandinavia and I used the Germany icon - it's as close as I could get, and they mention some German dishes too.
Old 08 January 2017, 08:36 AM

The canteen here serves blood sausage along with liver sausage. I don't partake.

And I wouldn't eat the blood pancakes either, and it's interesting that they sometimes use rye sourdough starter to hide the taste. So the taste is not everyone's favorite. I think I'll stick to Æbleskiver, the Danish pancake.

The Wikipeida page for Schwarzsauer, which seems to be a northern Germany speciality, is also in Plattdüütsch. I hadn't realized Wikipedia also has pages in languages other than the those specified in ISO 639-1.
Old 08 January 2017, 04:15 PM

I still love boudin noir. Hard to find.

OY
Old 08 January 2017, 04:26 PM

Why dilute it? What's wrong with just plain blood? Mmmmmm...
Old 08 January 2017, 07:53 PM

No Irish fry is truly complete without at least a slice of black and a slice of white pudding.
Old 09 January 2017, 05:32 AM

Blood sausage (Blutwurst) is still served in Germany, too, even in restaurants nad canteens - but I know a lot of people (not all of them vegetarians) who would never eat it. It's not that different from the black pudding I had in Scotland.

Schwarzsauer is very much a thing of the past - I've never seen it in real live nor on any menu, and the only people I know who ever ate it are of my grandparents' generation.
Old 21 February 2017, 08:13 PM

It's more common to eat blodpudding, which is similar to Scottish black pudding, than blodplättar in Sweden.
Old 22 February 2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
It's more common to eat blodpudding, which is similar to Scottish black pudding, than blodplättar in Sweden.
Black pudding is common in England too.

I think if you can accept blood-based sliced meaty globs as food then you should accept blood pancakes.

For that matter, sausages. Just... sausages. They're basically novelty meat balloons. Also, tripe. I don't know how common tripe is in other parts of the world, but you can't dress it up as anything but a corpse scraping.

I may or may not be a vegetarian.
Old 22 February 2017, 12:30 AM

http://m.scmp.com/article/631657/eve...its-were-black