snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 06 July 2016, 05:54 AM

Default Who is the man this image says the FBI "killed for being a conservative"?

The person in the middle image is Omar Mateen, who shot several dozen people in Orlando recently. He had been investigated by the FBI twice already, but they couldn't substantiate any ties to terrorist groups. He claimed affiliation with groups including Hezbollah, al-Qaeda, and ISIS, which are all opposed to each other. He doesn't appear to have actually worked with any of these groups. I haven't been able to find any source for the FBI saying there was "nothing wrong".
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-shooter-named
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...htmlstory.html

Who is the man in the bottom image, and under what circumstances did he die?

Last edited by Mr. Billion; 06 July 2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06 July 2016, 06:08 AM

It's LaVoy Finicum. He was involved in that standoff at the wildlife refuge in Oregon, and was shot during the attempt to apprehend him. The FBI was present, but he was shot by Oregon State Police officers.
Old 06 July 2016, 06:12 AM

He was notable for saying multiple times how heavily armed he was and how he was planning to die fighting the government rather than get arrested.
Old 06 July 2016, 06:55 AM

So in other words Hilary should have been arrested for being a Clinton I guess. Mateen should have been arrested for being a Muslim. But Finicum shouldn't have been arrested cause he was conseravtive and cause of someone "coming for his guns" or something.

No I am not suprised.
Old 06 July 2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
He was notable for saying multiple times how heavily armed he was and how he was planning to die fighting the government rather than get arrested.
Also when he was shot he'd driven past a police roadblock and ignored the order to stop, then when his car got stuck in a snow bank he exited the vehicle the police drew their guns on him and ordered him to put his hands in the air but he kept moving his hand down to his waistline (where a person with a concealed handgun would usually holster it).
Old 06 July 2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
It's LaVoy Finicum. He was involved in that standoff at the wildlife refuge in Oregon, and was shot during the attempt to apprehend him. The FBI was present, but he was shot by Oregon State Police officers.
Finicum was shot by OSP officers, but, for unknown reasons and providing nearly limitless fodder for conspiracy theorists, the investigation into the shooting, while clearing the OSP officers, also revealed that a member of the FBI HRT had fired on the vehicle, then concealed that fact. I believe the investigation revealed two shots, both of which struck the truck as Finicum exited. The brasses were picked up by an FBI agent, and the shooter did not disclose that he had fired any shots, nor did any of the other agents who might have known. With the agents not revealing that one of them had fired, their weapons and ammunition were not inventoried. The US DOJ Office of the Inspector General is investigating the agents involved.

Unsurprisingly, this fits into a narrative where Finicum was taken out by FBI snipers, and then it was elaborately (but pretty ineptly) covered up by a large group of people.

Last edited by erwins; 06 July 2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06 July 2016, 07:14 AM

"Killed for being a traitor to his county who thought he was above the law and could just ignore police orders" would be more accurate.
Old 07 July 2016, 06:57 AM

It is not 'unknown' why he was shot, it's very clearly known. He ignored orders, he nearly ran a man over and then when finally stopped, he moved his hands in a manner consistent with reaching for a weapon.

No one else in that van was killed, nor anyone else at the sanctuary, when there were clearly better targets for a conspiracy instead of some nobody who hitched his wagon to someone else's ruckus and then acted like a moron.
Old 07 July 2016, 09:10 AM

If that was a response to my post, my writing was too convoluted and/or you misread. I didn't say he was shot for reasons unknown--he was shot for the reasons you said and more.

The reasons unknown comment was about why the FBI agent fired at the truck as Finicum got out and then he and other agents engaged in a criminal cover-up of that fact.

Perhaps I also need to clarify that I don't think Finicum was secretly shot by the FBI and that OSP and County law enforcement are all elaborately conspiring to say that he was shot by the OSP officers. That is silly, contrary to verifiable facts, and is a typical "conspiracy theory" kind of ridiculous narrative. But there was actually a conspiracy connected to the shooting. That's what I was getting at. The agents who covered up those two shots conspired to do so. And from the video of them huddling up and then one agent going and collecting the brasses, it was a big and fairly proveable conspiracy.

Last edited by erwins; 07 July 2016 at 09:23 AM.