snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Legal Affairs

Old 16 February 2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
That is incorrect; it is actually about both. Pedestrians can be charged with recklessness for not yielding to traffic.
So you are saying there is a defacto ROW law similar to jaywalking laws in the US?

Quote:
Then you missed the most quotable part: "I won't be there when you cross the road."
I didn't quite that since it isn't part of the Green Cross Code.
Old 16 February 2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
So you are saying there is a defacto ROW law similar to jaywalking laws in the US?
Not similar to jaywalking, no. But pedestrians yield to road traffic outside of marked crosswalks, as I stated earlier.

Quote:
I didn't quite that since it isn't part of the Green Cross Code.
Right. I made that part up.
Old 17 February 2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
THINK! Find the safest place to cross, then stop.
STOP! Stand on the pavement near the kerb.
USE YOUR EYES AND EARS! Look all around for traffic, and listen.
WAIT UNTIL IT'S SAFE TO CROSS! If traffic is coming, let it pass.
LOOK AND LISTEN! When it's safe, walk straight across the road.
ARRIVE ALIVE! Keep looking and listening.
I wish they'd have this campaign in my city. They've recently set up crosswalks in areas based on popular shops and side streets rather than normal intersections, and it's led to pedestrians popping out from behind parked cars, expecting drivers to screech to a halt, and waving about angrily when it takes them by surprise. I've seen it happen from both perspectives, and it still seems reckless on the part of the pedestrians. When it comes to ROW, I'd rather be alive than right.
Old 17 February 2014, 08:36 AM

Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I manage to cross the road multiple times every workday without falling afoul of the law.
Me too. Unless I'm in a purely residential neighborhood with little to no traffic I never jaywalk.
Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen a no crossing sign.
We have them all over. Here's a small sampling of some local no crossing signs:
Quote:
But, for example, I can't cross the quiet street outside my house to visit my neighbor legally? I should walk to the corner, cross there, and walk back?
To be honest, yea, I would probably do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Irvine is the only city I know of where people get in trouble for things like jaywalking or riding a bike on the sidewalk.
It's also true here in Camarillo. I have seen people ticketed for both. Also, I lived in Irvine from the end of second grade to the beginning of fifth grade so I know of what you speak.

Brian

Last edited by BrianB; 17 February 2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Changed the smiley
Old 17 February 2014, 01:10 PM

On the street across from my work (a high volume street) there are tunnels, going under the street, for people who can't wait to walk to the intersection to cross.

Can anyone guess what I see, almost every time I look out the window closest to my cubicle?

Yep, people diving into traffic to cross the street, it reminds me of playing Frogger, long, long years ago.

As for (non)enforcement of jaywalking laws, I think it's a lot like speeding laws. It's a fineable offence to go over the speed limit, (g)I can even lose my license if (g)I'm way over (Reckless Driving/Street Racing, it's called) but most of the time, there are no cops around to give tickets, and sometimes, the cops are not the ones with radars, or they are responding to another call. The odds are pretty good (g)you won't get a ticket, even if you speed every day but... you can still get one. (May the odds be ever in your favour! )
Old 17 February 2014, 02:15 PM

Those of you who think you can just cross the street any where you want, don't try it in downtown Dallas. They shoot jaywalkers there. If you don't believe me, Google it.
Old 17 February 2014, 04:57 PM

We have a stop-for-all-pedestrians rule on our campus, any time, any place, including spots outside designated pedestrian walkways. It's necessary because all of our students are glued to their mobile phones and can't be expected to pay attention. I have seen some very abrupt braking and some close calls, at least one of which was an event of which the passer-by seemed totally oblivious. Because of, yeah, the phone.
Old 17 February 2014, 05:07 PM

I don't think we have that rule, but I abide by it anyway, because they don't even look up to see you screaming and slamming on the brakes.
Old 17 February 2014, 05:55 PM

There's a mid-intersection crosswalk directly in front of the main entrance to my building, with flashing lights and multiple signs indicating that traffic is to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. Drivers are less than 100% compliant.
Old 17 February 2014, 06:03 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
We have a stop-for-all-pedestrians rule on our campus, any time, any place, including spots outside designated pedestrian walkways. It's necessary because all of our students are glued to their mobile phones and can't be expected to pay attention. I have seen some very abrupt braking and some close calls, at least one of which was an event of which the passer-by seemed totally oblivious. Because of, yeah, the phone.
About 15 years ago, rumor had it that the particularly grisly death of a student crossing a road near the university, was that she was listening to music on headphones and did not hear the approaching traffic. The subsequent reduction in speed on this 4-lane road with center median, and "pedestrian crossing" lights notwithstanding, IIRC there were no charges to the driver, not even for speeding.
Old 03 August 2015, 07:48 PM

Based on experience both of family history and where I grew up, the purpose of the laws against jaywalking is not so much to ticket the walker, but as a defense for the driver. No one ever got ticketed for jaywalking where I grew up, not even my ancestor -- however the driver that hit her was not ticketed, cited, or held in anyway responsible for the accident. Nor could he be sued. Because it was held to be her fault for being in the road in the middle of the block.
Old 08 August 2015, 03:42 AM

Driver

So I actually saw a truck with "NOT FOR HIRE" painted on it today. It was a ridiculously huge monster truck, like one of these (except it was a Chevy):

I'm guessing the state of California requires it to avoid it being classified as a commercial vehicle with the associated fees.