snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Legal Affairs

Old 17 October 2014, 05:20 AM

Borg Droid trademark

Comment: I heard that George Lucas trademarked the word "Droid" and got
paid on every Droid phone that Motorola sold. Is this true?
Old 17 October 2014, 06:38 AM

I recall that the very first droid commercials specifically stated that Droid was a trademark or LucasFilm and I also recall reading an article that stated that Motorola licensed the trademark as well.

What those terms were however, was not disclosed.
Old 19 October 2014, 01:05 AM

From the Motorola website:

"DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Used under license."

I doubt he gets a percentage of each sale, especially as the three phones on the Motorola website have sale prices of $49.99, $0.99 and FREE (the "Maxx," the "Razr M," and the "Mini," respectively); Motorola makes its money from the phone plans and I strongly doubt the licensing agreement would give Lucas money from something that's not remotely connected to his trademark.

Most likely, Motorola pays Lucas an annual flat fee (probably in the 6-figure range) for the use.
Old 19 October 2014, 02:10 AM

Fun fact: the tabletop science fiction combat game BattleTech was originally called BattleDroids when it was originally released in 1984, but the game's maker (FASA) realized that "Droid" was copyrighted to Lucasfilm and quickly changed the game's name in order to avoid any lawsuits from them.
Old 19 October 2014, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRainbow View Post
I doubt he gets a percentage of each sale, especially as the three phones on the Motorola website have sale prices of $49.99, $0.99 and FREE (the "Maxx," the "Razr M," and the "Mini," respectively);
That's the subsidized costs though - not the full retail price. Those phones at an unsubsidized base price are several hundred dollars more. Of courseike you I doubt that it's based on a per handset basis since these phones aren't purchased as often as other products.

Quote:
Most likely, Motorola pays Lucas an annual flat fee (probably in the 6-figure range) for the use.
That's my guess. It's easier to do it that way versus setting up something on a per model basis.
Old 19 October 2014, 03:35 AM

You know, I just realized that Motorola is no longer going to be paying Lucas for this, they'll be paying Disney.
Old 19 October 2014, 03:44 AM

I wonder how that works... I bet that even though Disney bought LucasFilm, that LucasFilm still exists as a distinct company (just like say Pixar) is. So even though the money is Disney's, is the legal contract still paid to LucsFilm (assuming it stll existed)?

My guess overll BTW, is that Disney purchasing LucsaFilm put any licensing agreements that they had up for potential breakups. I imagine that is common that there could be clauses in contracts that allow for a renegocication of terms if one side is purchased. Just a guess of course.
Old 19 October 2014, 05:49 PM

Cell Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
That's the subsidized costs though - not the full retail price. Those phones at an unsubsidized base price are several hundred dollars more. Of courseike you I doubt that it's based on a per handset basis since these phones aren't purchased as often as other products.
Royalties can be based on anything related to the sale of a product - not just the retail price. Units sold, gross receipts, net profits, etc.

However, the trademark is for a word, not for an actual product or device. I would be more likely to say that Lucasfilm is paid a licensing fee and not royalties based on the sales of product.