snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 31 March 2014, 08:33 PM

Icon13 Motel 6 turns away underage soldier

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/motel6.asp
Old 31 March 2014, 08:52 PM

The Motel 6 Atlanta Airport 6 (2.6 miles from Fort MacPherson) says this on their reservation page:
"Motel 6 Policies
All guests registering must be at least 21 years of age and must present valid picture identification."
Old 31 March 2014, 08:54 PM

But he's a SOLDIER! Rules don't apply!
Old 31 March 2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
Ignoring the irony that he's old enough to be sent to war, the point here is that the motel has a clearly stated policy and he has no right to expect an exemption.

But why wasn't this noticed by the reservation team?. Of, if done online, does it show up before the booking is completed.
Old 31 March 2014, 09:25 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
But why wasn't this noticed by the reservation team?
Probably because the standard information hotels take when accepting reservations is name, address, and credit card number, not age.
Old 31 March 2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
But why wasn't this noticed by the reservation team?. Of, if done online, does it show up before the booking is completed.
They don't, in my experience, normally check ID until you go to check in.
Old 31 March 2014, 09:55 PM

I'm not a soldier, but I too have had the experience of being turned away when I went to check in after booking a room because I was under 21. The policy was not stated anywhere on the hotel's website (I checked again afterward.) Personally, I don't think this should be legal--if you're going to turn away some subset of the adult population, the onus should be on you to make those policies clear at the time the reservation is made.
Old 01 April 2014, 12:15 AM

I agree. My son and his friend (both 18) were travelling to Reno last weekend and knowing that there may be an issue, I called several hotels after not seeing a policy on-line. It took 5 calls to find one that was okay with 18 year olds.
Old 01 April 2014, 03:58 AM

Frankly, I'm not sure such age discrimination should be allowed at all.
Old 01 April 2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post

Especially when he has to get his parent/s to complain for him...
Old 01 April 2014, 08:31 AM

Australia

Quote:
Ignoring the irony that he's old enough to be sent to war, the point here is that the motel has a clearly stated policy and he has no right to expect an exemption.

But why wasn't this noticed by the reservation team?. Of, if done online, does it show up before the booking is.
Wasn't this one of the arguments put across when Australia moved it's voting and drinking age from 21 to 18?

But I agree it should come up before a booking is made, whether online or by phone. But being him being a soldier should have nothing to do with it being wrong (apart from afore mentioned when are you an adult/going to war thing.)

I grew up in a suburb that was know as an "army" area as a large number of houses were provided to soldiers (we lived in the civilian half). From that experience him being in the army would make me LESS likely to bend the rules. I mean some were great guys but others....
Old 01 April 2014, 03:04 PM

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Wasn't this one of the arguments put across when Australia moved it's voting and drinking age from 21 to 18?
Obviously, I can't speak for Australia, but that's still a common argument here. "If 18-year-olds are old enough to vote/go to war/get married/whatever, they should be old enough to drink."
Old 01 April 2014, 03:19 PM

Wasn't that (going to war) also one of the big arguments for lowering the voting age to 18?

IMS, the reason the national drinking age is 21 is that was the highest state drinking age in effect when the federal government persuaded the states to raise their drinking ages.
Old 01 April 2014, 03:30 PM

US draft laws applied to males 18 and over, and that was indeed a big factor in lowering the voting age.
Old 01 April 2014, 03:42 PM

There are a lot of things with age requirements, but I don't recall ever having a problem with hotels before I turned 21. (Did I stay in a hotel alone before 21? I can't remember.) I do remember not being able to rent a car (until age 25). And there are age requirements for public offices, too--I think Congressmen have to be 25, and Senators, 30; I know the President has to be 35.

In a job interview once, I was told I was too old for the job, since they liked to hire people in their early 20s. It was not a job as a performer--it was just the company preference for that job. I looked it up later and found that age discrimination in employment is perfectly legal in the U.S. so long as the person being discriminated against is under 40.
Old 01 April 2014, 09:20 PM

My employer made special arrangements with a rental agency to get me and another intern a rental car when both of us were under 25. I don't believe that it would have been possible for a walk-up rental, and I believe that a security deposit was required.

At the same time, as an intern making business trips, I was always out with a more senior member of the company - they had a company credit card and they rented the room I stayed in. I imagine that they were OK with me staying in the room on my own, as long as someone over 21 was responsible for the room, but I honestly don't remember having any trouble renting a hotel room before I was 21 - I had my own credit card from when I was 18, and that's generally all they cared about.
Old 01 April 2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Wasn't that (going to war) also one of the big arguments for lowering the voting age to 18?
That was the belief in Australia. It was a bit before my time, and I'm not sure if it was stated openly, but it was said that if 18 year olds could vote then they would vote to pull out Australian troops.

Gough Whitlem became prime minister in a landslide election based largely on his promise to end our involvement in the war.
Old 08 April 2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahungo View Post
Frankly, I'm not sure such age discrimination should be allowed at all.
Perhaps not, but there would have to be a fair amount of changes to the current laws/rules if we go that way including drinking age, age to drive rental cars, age to go into various levels of politics, etc.

I've always heard (though don't know if it's legally true) that 'age discrimination' only goes one way, in that it only applies when the discrimination is for being too old (so you can have a senior discount, but you can't charge seniors more, nor can you refuse them entry).

While I don't know if the law is really written in that way at some level, certainly it's how we've chosen to apply it.

In addition I assume the reason for this rule relates to insurance issues in most cases (though I could be wrong), and there would be other changes related to that as well; not only age, but also gender (as young males tend to have higher car insurance premiums than comparable women, at least so I'm told).

I'm not saying these changes would be bad things, just that it's a big issue.
Old 08 April 2014, 05:37 PM

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act only makes age discrimination in employment illegal (and as Avril pointed out, only for people over 40), it doesn't address other types of discrimination. And the Civil Rights Act doesn't address age as a protected category.