snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Science

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09 January 2014, 06:24 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,570
Flame 9-volt battery fire

Comment: A new e mail rumor indicates that 9 volt batteries may cause a
fire if short circuited. This seems plausible, except: I short circuited
2 batteries (fully charged), together, (minus to plus and plus to minus,
simultaneously) and the batteries demonstrated a temperature rise barely
sufficient to detect with the bare finger, let alone cause a fire.

likewise, making a "loose" connection to cause a spark is nearly
impossible.

I suspect this is someone's "worry" rather than an actual fact.

My question is: Is there enough energy in a 9-volt battery to start a
fire? If so, how?

This assertion, (starting a fire) may be theoretically correct, but in
real life seems to be not on the probability scale.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09 January 2014, 06:54 PM
jimmy101_again jimmy101_again is offline
 
Join Date: 29 December 2005
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 5,110
Default

A 9V battery and a hunk of steel wool is sometimes used as a fire starter. The mass of the battery itself is too great to get it to heat enough to cause of fire even with a dead short across the terminals. The steel wool has high enough resistance and low enough heat capacity that it'll go incandescent within a second of two. That battery will barely change temperature.

http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival...ery/index.html

So... short a 9V with any large piece of metal and you wont cause a fire since both the battery and the piece of metal have too high of heat capacities.

... short a 9V with a fine wire (or many fine wires) and the wires will get hot enough to start a fire.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09 January 2014, 07:09 PM
WildaBeast's Avatar
WildaBeast WildaBeast is online now
 
Join Date: 18 July 2002
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 11,902
Default

When I was a kid I was playing around with a 9V battery and decided to short circuit it with a paperclip just to see what would happen. While it probably wasn't hot enough to start a fire, the paperclip definitely got hot enough to be painful.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09 January 2014, 07:19 PM
Singing in the Drizzle Singing in the Drizzle is offline
 
Join Date: 24 November 2005
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 4,403
Default

I have used a 9V battery, speaker wire, a thin piece or wire and sterno can light a camp fire remotely.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10 January 2014, 11:11 AM
Troberg Troberg is offline
 
 
Join Date: 04 November 2005
Location: Borlänge, Sweden
Posts: 11,388
Default

Sure you can use 9V batteries to light a fire. The steel wool method (which basically is just a glow wire) works nicely, but if you are creative, scale it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hwLHdBTQ7s
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22 January 2014, 11:18 PM
rhiandmoi's Avatar
rhiandmoi rhiandmoi is offline
 
Join Date: 27 July 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 12,734
Default Fires caused by batteries stored in junk drawer

http://ehssafetynews.wordpress.com/2...s-on-the-rise/

Quote:
If you are storing loose 9 volt or AA or other batteries in a kitchen drawer or a “junk” drawer in your home, watch how you store them. Above all don’t store them loose and rolling around with other metal, glues and more of the lovely mix of things we keep in our junk drawers.

All you need to have happen is for a metal object like steel wool or a paper clip short out across the top of a 9 volt battery and ignite paper or other easily ignited materials and you’ll have a potential disaster in your home. As indicated on the YouTube Video below, it doesn’t take much to heat a metallic object or cause a spark in order to start a fire.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22 January 2014, 11:19 PM
rhiandmoi's Avatar
rhiandmoi rhiandmoi is offline
 
Join Date: 27 July 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 12,734
Default

http://ehssafetynews.wordpress.com/2...s-on-the-rise/

It definitely can start a fire, I don't know how many fires it does start or if those numbers are on the rise though.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23 January 2014, 03:10 PM
jimmy101_again jimmy101_again is offline
 
Join Date: 29 December 2005
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 5,110
Default

That link isn't very accurate.

A 9V battery can not "spark" (as in an electrical spark) and ignite something. You can't get a significant spark at a voltage that low now matter what the configuration of objects. AA through D batteries are even lower voltage so the chance of a electrical spark capable of igniting something (even a combustible gas) are zero.

The only thing that'll get hot enough to ignite paper (or a combustible gas) would be something like steel wool. A paper clip won't do it, neither will a metal spoon, or anything else that is thick, that might be in a junk drawer.

Putting tape over the terminals when discarding is OK but really more trouble than it is worth. If you are concerned just touch the terminals to a solid piece of metal (like a spoon) for a couple seconds. The spoon will barely get warm (it has too much mass and conducts heat too well to get very hot) and the battery is now "dead". It is dead forever and won't be a fire hazard in the trash (or in the recycling center's bin).

A more important reason for being careful when storing batteries is because they are expensive. A brand new $2 9V battery rolling around in a drawer with metal objects is going to be dead when you want to use it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23 January 2014, 03:26 PM
Singing in the Drizzle Singing in the Drizzle is offline
 
Join Date: 24 November 2005
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 4,403
Default

Dead batteries still have most of their voltage, what they do not have is amperage. It amperage that is need to run thing or make things hot.

If I remember my classes in electricity from back in the mid 80s. It does not matter how many batteries are in series the amps is that of the worst battery in the series.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23 January 2014, 07:19 PM
jimmy101_again jimmy101_again is offline
 
Join Date: 29 December 2005
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 5,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
Dead batteries still have most of their voltage, what they do not have is amperage. It amperage that is need to run thing or make things hot.
Nope. As a battery is used it's output voltage, even into an infinite resistance, drops. The battery's voltage drops more with a load but the load isn't really needed to see a drop.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Truth-Telling Snopes Site Goes to Bat Over Chevy Volt E-Mail snopes Snopes Spotting 0 24 February 2012 06:21 PM
Cost to operate a Chevy Volt snopes Inboxer Rebellion 0 21 February 2012 02:08 AM
C battery and a stack of quarters = D battery snopes Science 4 14 January 2011 09:35 PM
Car starts without battery snopes Glurge Gallery 29 12 December 2008 03:28 AM
6 Volt Battery Hack! Hypno Toad Fauxtography 0 18 September 2007 02:39 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.