snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 20 December 2013, 07:36 PM

No Girl Now Brain Dead Had Fears Before Tonsil Surgery

The mother of a 13-year-old Northern California girl declared brain dead after a routine tonsillectomy says her daughter had expressed fears she wouldn't wake up after the surgery.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/c...rgery-21290749
Old 20 December 2013, 07:58 PM

And in much more common, but less sad and less "ooooooooh-spooky!" news, hundreds of children and adults who expressed a fear that they wouldn't wake up after surgery woke up after surgery.
Old 20 December 2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
And in much more common, but less sad and less "ooooooooh-spooky!" news, hundreds of children and adults who expressed a fear that they wouldn't wake up after surgery woke up after surgery.
This was my exact thought.

That aside, this is very sad, a bit scary, and certainly appears to be a situation where the doctors involved did something terribly wrong.
Old 20 December 2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Yes, people really don't get the concept of The Law of Truly Large Numbers.
Old 20 December 2013, 09:49 PM

Blow Your Top

When my husband had his gallbladder surgery all the nurses were comforting me telling me the surgeon was the best in the hospital - which didn't comfort me at all since I was more worried about something like this. Though, thankfully like millions of other routine surgeries, it went just fine.
Old 20 December 2013, 09:58 PM

Reporter

I read the news story as a report of a young girl who experienced a tragic outcome from a routine surgery and who coincidentally had expressed fears of such an outcome, not a "Hey, look how spooky it is that this girl was afraid of a routine surgery, and what she feared is exactly what happened" story. I'd say a report about a child who ended up brain dead from a common, routine surgery is newsworthy in itself, regardless.
Old 21 December 2013, 01:58 AM

Soapbox

I feel sorry for the family, but they have to understand she is dead. Brain dead is dead. You do not recover from brain death.

Sister "if they really keep refusing to accept that I can understand why the doctors might have snapped at them" Ray
Old 21 December 2013, 03:19 AM

Judge Hospital ordered to keep girl on life support

An Oakland hospital has been ordered to continue life support for a 13-year-old girl declared brain dead after having her tonsils removed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-dead/4150453/
Old 21 December 2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Ray View Post
Sister "if they really keep refusing to accept that I can understand why the doctors might have snapped at them" Ray
I'll give them a pass for not wanting to take the word of the hospital that presided over their daughter's bleed out. I think they deserve a second opinion after that trauma.

Maybe the court appointed neurologist can help them come to terms.
Old 21 December 2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
An Oakland hospital has been ordered to continue life support for a 13-year-old girl declared brain dead after having her tonsils removed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-dead/4150453/
Please tell me we are not going to have a repeat of the Terri Schivo case. The last thing those parents need is their tragedy to be used as a political football.
Old 23 December 2013, 05:57 PM

Scary stuff. My 6 year old had his tonsils and adenoids out a year ago or so. While we knew it was routine it was tough knowing what he'd have to go through. The funniest part was his throat hurt so bad after the surgery he asked us if they could "put them back in."
Old 23 December 2013, 07:10 PM

Years ago when I had my wisdom teeth pulled they put me under. A couple of weeks before the procedure I had to sit though the explanation what they were going to do and the risks. The only thing I remember to this day is the anesthesiologist explaining one of the possible side effects for the or any anesthesia was death. Trust me, it did not help me not worry about the tooth removal one bit.
Old 23 December 2013, 07:26 PM

Yeah on my consent form, along with such delights as meningitis, were "all the usual things associated with any general" said the anaesthetist, helpfully pointing at "DVT, pulmonary embolism and death". Wheeee.
Old 23 December 2013, 10:06 PM

As I recall, "Death" was the first (or at least the largest) thing printed on my anesthesia consent form when I had my arm surgery. I found it amusing.

I have never been afraid to die; in fact it would be my preferred option over certain other things. Not waking up from anesthesia is, as far as I'm concerned, probably the most painless and peaceful way to die. Plus, once you're dead, you're...dead. You don't know you're dead. You literally have no more consciousness. You don't have to worry about anything or feel any pain ever again. It's not your problem anymore, and because you are physically unable to be aware that anything has happened, you're not going to be haunted by knowing that your loved ones are grieving for you. You're not going to regret things you didn't do in life, because you have no awareness and you can't think or feel or exist. You're dead and that's it, there is no more. I've always found that comforting. I've never understood why anyone would fear death. It's better than a number of scenarios that I actually fear in life.

My biggest fear during surgery was that something would go wrong and they'd wind up having to amputate my arm. Or they'd operate on the wrong arm or otherwise NFBSK me up. The first thing I did when I woke up was move each of my fingers ever so slightly, even though I knew I wasn't supposed to. But they were all bandaged up and I couldn't see them and I had to make sure every part of me was intact and nothing had gone wrong. Now, if something had gone wrong and I died, I wouldn't have cared because I literally would have been unable to know about it and unable to care. So I'm cool with death as a risk of anything I do. It's the "surviving but with permanently diminished quality of life and/or a lifetime of pain and suffering" that I don't want.
Old 23 December 2013, 10:27 PM

When I had my wisdom teeth out under general anesthesia, I was much more afraid of the risk of partial facial paralysis than dying.
Old 25 December 2013, 01:47 PM

Default Judge: Calif. teen can be taken off life support

A judge on Tuesday ruled that a 13-year-old Northern California girl declared brain dead after suffering complications following a tonsillectomy can be taken off life support.

http://www.9news.com/news/world/3703...-life-support-
Old 02 January 2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
Please tell me we are not going to have a repeat of the Terri Schivo case. The last thing those parents need is their tragedy to be used as a political football.
Funny you should say that...

Quote:
The family of Terri Schiavo has joined the battle over Jahi McMath, a 13-year-old girl on life support who has been declared dead by doctors.
Old 05 January 2014, 07:54 AM

Default 3-year-old left brain dead after dentist visit dies

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...s-file-lawsuit

A similarly tragic local case. At least these parents were realistic and had this little girl on hospice.
Old 06 January 2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Babby View Post
A similarly tragic local case. At least these parents were realistic and had this little girl on hospice.
Indeed tragic.

I did find this quote from the article very disturbing....
Quote:
She was there to have four root canals, and ten cavities filled...
What were her parents feeding her that a 3 year old would require 4 root canals and 10 cavities filled?! That's 50% of her deciduous teeth all ready rotten. Her sugar intake must have been appalling and her teeth must never have seen a tooth brush, the poor little girl must have been in a lot of pain before this tragedy happened.
Old 06 January 2014, 01:30 AM

Not necessarily. She might have had some kind of health condition that made her more vulnerable to cavities. I had a friend in high school who had had fevers as an infant that retarded the formation of enamel on her teeth, with the result that she'd had cavities in almost every tooth by her teens.