snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 07 August 2013, 09:11 PM

Icon23 You Shouldn’t Fear GMO Corn:How Elle botched a story about genetically modified food

A few weeks ago, Amy Harmon, a respected science journalist at the New York Times, turned her attention to the GMO debate, writing a masterfully textured story about the plight of the Florida orange and the role biotechnology might play in rescuing it from a potentially deadly disease. It was widely praised by independent journalists for its even-handed analysis of the costs and benefits associated with adopting new technologies, like genetic modification, to food.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...ry.single.html

It is really much more about the Elle article, but there was no good way to quote a meaningful section to set it up without quoting too much.
Old 07 August 2013, 09:31 PM

If I'm reading it right, she had an autoimmune disorder, removed all corn from her diet, the disorder got better, and that proves that GM corn is the problem?
Old 07 August 2013, 10:26 PM

I haven't really time to get into this in detail right now (didn't we recently have a thread on GMO's? I can't seem to find it, if so) but:

1) I wouldn't really describe the Harmon article as an "even-handed analysis of the costs and benefits associated with adopting new technologies". It's an article about the difficulties an orange grower expects to have with public perception of a possible orange variety developed by GMO methods to resist a particular disease, and is told primarily from that point of view.

2) The Elle article (I can't get past the first page) may well be a stupid article. The fact that people occasionally write stupid articles on a subject doesn't mean that there are no non-stupid objections.
Old 07 August 2013, 11:18 PM

When you say "occasionally", you mean "frequently," right? Because that's pretty much summing up the anti-GMO movement in a nutshell. Fact-free scare-mongering and junk science.
Old 07 August 2013, 11:23 PM

Pretty much, very similar to the anti-evolution arguments or anti-vaccine arguments. Every once in a while they approach something of a point, but oftentimes they are just fear mongering pseudoscience or the issues they have are also present in regular non-GMO farming.