snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 12 May 2013, 01:30 AM

Default Mysterious holes appearing in Russia

http://globalrumblings.blogspot.com/...n-forests.html

Quote:
A strange phenomena is happening in some Russian forests. People are finding strange, deep holes.

They appear in the dense forest, in the places you can’t get on the car or truck to bring any device to drill the ground. There is no soil nearby that should be taken from such deep hole.

When people are brave enough to venture into the holes, they find that they end abruptly in the darkness. There are no any reasonable ideas on how these holes appear and what they are being used for. No one knows who or what is digging these holes or why.

Another article:
http://dawn.com/2012/04/21/myths-and...le-phenomenon/
Quote:
Some enthusiasts and researchers went to examine the huge pit and found out from the locals that the hole just appeared overnight and was a not perfectly round but was oval in shape. There were no marks of buckets or digging equipment nearby and the inside was absolutely smooth and vertical and at the depth of 4.5 metres, some water was seen. The locals later built a fence round it. Exactly the same kind of hole mysteriously appeared 10 years ago in the Ryazan area, this time too nobody could explain its appearance.
One reasonable possibility:
http://beforeitsnews.com/strange/201...r-2446906.html

Quote:
This claim has been making it's rounds on Facebook again recently, although it's been around for many years. A quick search brings up literally hundreds of sites in several different languages within the last 12 years about this. Most of them have the same wording, with no real information on any of them, and no pictures of any other holes than the one pictured here. There are plenty of hypothesis however, ranging from them being natural sinkholes to claims of them being samples of earth taken by aliens. One claim even went as far as saying that they are dug from below by "mole people." Looking at the hole you can clearly see it was drilled by the horizontal marks on the walls, which eliminates the chances that it is a sinkhole or a naturally occurring phenomenon.
And one more.... errrr let's just say "creative" explanation.
http://beforeitsnews.com/strange/201...r-2446906.html
Quote:
But there really is reasonable explanation … minds just have to think outside the realm of their blindsided reality …. and consider the celestial worlds around them ..

Souls have been on this planet a very long time … but fallen ancient facilities and their may disassembled parts have been buried on the surface longer than them …

Consider the mystical rods that have been seen in the skies ..

Where were some of them “before” they were seen in the skies ? …

I consider that these many sinkholes are evidence of what is referred to as the second resurrection … and now the graves of these ancient hosts and facilities are empty …
Old 12 May 2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
This article seems to be talking about a hole variety of different wholes, I mean a whole ... never mind; they're talking about any sort of unexplained "hole" anywhere in the world, from big ones to little ones, and from ones which have been there thousands of years to ones which apparently turned up in the 1980s. So it's not very useful in trying to get facts about any given hole, such as the one in the OP picture. The part you quoted about a hole that appeared overnight clearly isn't the one in the picture:

Quote:
A shepherd named Pyotr Malinkin, in the Russian region of Kaluga, was feeding his cows as usual in the pasture. Wandering five kilometres inside the field, he saw a huge hole in the ground, which was six metres in circumference. He was quite shocked as the hole was not there the previous day. To his further amazement, the cows would not eat the grass from near the hole, and they seemed scared.
That one sounds like a straightforward sinkhole. It's hardly surprising the cows would be scared if they'd just almost fallen into a huge hole, or could feel that the ground was unstable and had enough sense not to go near the edge. '"My cows have more sense than me," thought the shepherd to his amazement. "And why am I looking after cows anyway? Where did my sheep go?"'

I don't know enough geology to tell whether the hole in the photos is obviously drilled or whether it could have formed naturally, but even if it is drilled, the article with "more information" doesn't claim that particular hole appeared overnight, and it doesn't give any dates for anything beyond implying that even the more recent holes it's talking about have been there since at least the 1980s. That was thirty years ago and if it was drilled for some reason back then, there wouldn't necessarily be any obvious signs of the project left other than the hole itself. It doesn't mean that nobody knew about it at the time.
Old 12 May 2013, 12:08 PM

The walks of the sinkhole in the OP pictures don't look much different from photos of other sinkholes in a google image search.
Old 14 May 2013, 07:35 AM

Looks a lot like what we call "trollkittel" in Swedish (literal translation "troll kettle"). There probably is some more scientific name for them, but I don't know it. They were created during the ice age, when, in the rivers under the ice, a rock was spinning due to the flowing water, gradually drilling itself down in the bedrock. Sometimes, you can even find a small, spherical rock in the bottom of them, the rock that drilled them.

As for appearing overnight, well, either they were covered, or it's just a matter of incorrect reporting in order to make them more mysterious.
Old 14 May 2013, 08:43 AM

I hadn't considered that it could have been both drilled and natural. Interesting phenomenon!

Do you have any more information or pictures? It's hard to search in Swedish on Google UK, it keeps "correcting" me.
Old 14 May 2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Looks a lot like what we call "trollkittel" in Swedish (literal translation "troll kettle"). There probably is some more scientific name for them, but I don't know it.
I believe in English they are called kettles or kettle holes. I've never heard of one being so deep. However, the holes do remind me of holes drilled in river beds by swirling rocks and sediment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettle_(landform)
Old 15 May 2013, 07:44 AM

Nope, not kettle holes. I've asked around a bit, and apparently my memory was wrong, they are called jättegryta in Swedish (giant's kettle). Sizes and shapes vary, but they can be both deep and sometimes as straight as a bore hole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant's_kettle

Lots of images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=j%C3...iw=987&bih=920

https://www.google.com/search?q=gian...iw=987&bih=920
Old 21 May 2013, 10:44 PM

Nice - thanks! I've seen holes like that in a river bed on Dartmoor, and didn't know what they were.

The river at the time was only a stream in the rock - it probably filled more when it was rainy - but in the dry parts of the bed, there were these round holes filled with pitch black water. You couldn't see anything in them at all - there was no way to tell how deep they were. I was a child at the time and they scared me... bottomless water which might have "things" in it still scares me sometimes...
Old 27 May 2013, 08:26 AM

I remember seeing those glacial potholes at Interstate Park in Wisconsin. The park covers WI and MN but we stayed on the WI side of the river. There's a bit about them on the wikipedia page I linked.
Quote:
...the Bottomless Pit, is 10 feet (3.0 m) wide and 60 feet (18 m) deep, the deepest explored pothole in the world.
Old 27 May 2013, 03:53 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:
A strange phenomena is happening in some Russian forests.
A strange phenomenon...

or

Strange phenomena...

please.
Old 22 August 2013, 10:32 AM

I read the news today oh, boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall...