snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 27 March 2013, 07:40 PM

Icon22 Almost half of American women fear becoming bag ladies

Despite making enormous strides professionally and financially, almost half of American women fear becoming bag ladies, even many of those earning six-figure salaries, according to a new survey.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,2169579.story
Old 27 March 2013, 08:07 PM

Icon22

I know I get very frightened about that. Sometimes, when I'm at my worst financially, I have nightmares about living in a homeless shelter or living on the streets.
Old 27 March 2013, 08:16 PM

"Bag lady"? Really? What's wrong with using the term homeless?

(I fully admit I have personal issues with that term, since my mother constantly threatened me with it as my fate for wanting to be an artist when I grew up. )

Back to the article:

Quote:
Forty-two percent said financially independent women intimidate men and run the risk of ending up alone, according to the survey. Almost one-third (31%) said those women are hard to relate to and don’t have many friends.
I don't see a connection here between "ending up alone" (so what?) and being homeless. If anything, I'd think fears of homelessness would tie into the unreliability of Social Security or investments or the job market. The article doesn't mention why the women feared becoming destitute, but it implies that having money and power intimidates men, and that being single or having few friends is somehow a factor. I think it's sloppy reporting on behalf of the Times.
Old 27 March 2013, 08:36 PM

I would be surprised if at least half of men didn't fear becoming destitute as well. The focus of the article, or maybe the status, makes it seem that this is a unique concern of women without addressing whether it is.
Old 27 March 2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I don't see a connection here between "ending up alone" (so what?) and being homeless.
I think, I hope anyway, that they mean alone with no friends or family to take them in if something went wrong. I hope that isn't another criticism towards unmarried women.

Yes, good point, why can't the article just say "homeless" or "destitution." They don't say men are afraid of becoming "bag men"
Old 27 March 2013, 08:49 PM

Isn't the term for "bag men" something like "tramps"? So you have "bag ladies" and "tramps," not to be confused with female tramps, who are another thing entirely?

There is plenty of criticism of unmarried women and always has been. And it's grossly unfair since it's not even possible for all women to marry. There are more adult women than adult men. There are far more gay men than gay women. And women live longer.

Somebody's got to stay single. This is what I say when the subject comes up. "I'm taking one for the team."
Old 27 March 2013, 08:52 PM

Mack makes a good point about the gratuitous gender division.

Relatedly, how many women in 2013 assume that having a (male) partner is some guarantee of financial security, or that not having one is a guarantee of lacking it? Am I [and are my female friends and acquaintances] exceptionally cynical? Or just more realistic?

And I haven't heard the term "bag lady" used in 20 years.
Old 27 March 2013, 08:56 PM

When I hear "tramp" to refer to a homeless man, I picture someone from the Great Depression era. I don't think there's a male equivalent of "bag lady". It's like "old maid" in that it's slightly derogatory but gender-specific.
Old 27 March 2013, 09:02 PM

Great Depression era vagrants who rode the rails were hobos. "Tramps" is an older term (I've seen it used in pre-1920 books), and designated a vagrant who traveled on foot. I'm pretty sure "bum" originally meant exclusively someone who did not/would not work, as opposed to tramps or hobos, who might peddle goods or work odd jobs.
Old 27 March 2013, 09:05 PM

The terms we commonly used back in the 70s and 80s were bum and bag lady. I think bag lady became a term when homeless woman started to grow in numbers. I don't think either term is appropriate today.

This is the first time I have seen the term bag lady used in a long time. As a matter of fact, my first thought on seeing the headline was "they're worried about becoming homeless in the 80s?"
Old 27 March 2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Somebody's got to stay single. This is what I say when the subject comes up. "I'm taking one for the team."
I may steal this (I was married once, but I've been divorced a LOT longer, and I'm not likely to marry again).
Old 27 March 2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Isn't the term for "bag men" something like "tramps"? So you have "bag ladies" and "tramps," not to be confused with female tramps, who are another thing entirely?
I'm pretty sure that the male term is "bum."
Old 27 March 2013, 09:47 PM

A few years ago I would have thought that half of American women would hold this fear because to quote Gloria Steinem "Most women are one man away from welfare" now I'd say that even if women have worked most or even all of their adult lives the economy is so precarious that's just not enough to guarantee financial security anymore.
Old 27 March 2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
Hobo gets tossed around an awful lot now and I'm pretty sure it's not someone riding the rails any more.
Old 27 March 2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Red View Post
I know I get very frightened about that. Sometimes, when I'm at my worst financially, I have nightmares about living in a homeless shelter or living on the streets.
My ex-wife did and I assume still does as well. I've always explained to her even after the divorce she will never be homeless. Yet she still has the anxiety over it.
Old 27 March 2013, 10:41 PM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
In Australia it's often "derro" - as derived from 'derelict'.

Dropbear
Old 27 March 2013, 10:54 PM

"Bag lady" to me has a specific connotation that "homeless" doesn't. It brings to mind, for me, an older woman who is carrying a lot of possessions* and who is mentally unbalanced or non-typical. (E.g., talking to herself, hoarding worthless possessions, etc.) Which makes it a pretty odd thing for half of women to fear becoming.

* Leading to the lesser-used variant, "shopping cart lady."
Old 27 March 2013, 11:01 PM

I cherish the birthday card from my aunt which says about the single state:
No ring on your finger
No bum on your couch

I was far more likely to end up destitute married to that no-good-non-working Ex-Creep I married.
Old 27 March 2013, 11:31 PM

Counterpoint I've heard(and still hear) the term bag-lady. All. The. Time. From many people in the city and upstate(NY), but most memorably, similar to Cervus my nanny threatened that I would end up that way if I didn't want to do homework, or got dirty, etc. She mostly just called homeless men degenerates and derelicts, she never threatened me with men, just made it clear to avoid them, and all men. It usually worked though. Maybe because growing up in Ny bag-ladies(and men) were plentiful, so it seemed real. I saw them pushing carts with bags tied to them every time we went shopping.
Old 27 March 2013, 11:37 PM

I find the choice of phrasing of "bag lady" to be odd because it implies more than just saying "crazy cat lady". The latter may imply someone becoming isolated, focused on a singular interest (to the detriment of all else), and maybe a little bit of mental illness, but being a "crazy cat lady" is still better than the stark poverty (and destitute mental state) of homelessness.

Just getting back to the OP in a serious way - is there some reason why these women fear not only poverty, but the estrangement of all of their friends and family? Could it be that they are - for whatever reason - already estranged from them? I'm not saying that they are estranged for any good or valid reasons, but how often do people break ties with their parents, or friends, or both, because of a life choice like, say, marrying the "wrong" man? Sure, people break with their parents over issues of religion and career and just wanting to get out of a certain set of expectations (think of the lead character in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"), but if they do so because of a relationship with a certain man, and that relationship then fails, then they'd feel that they are most definitely on their own.

Is there a fear, also, that if a woman becomes successful, she will automatically generate enemies? I don't presume that the success has to be at the expense of others and stepping over them - but rather - that it still creates feelings of jealousy, far more than for a successful man. And in generating enemies - passive or active - that they are more likely to be alone if they are broke?