snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Technical Questions

Old 26 February 2013, 03:47 AM

Default Is irc.fleetchat.org (home of the unofficial snopes irc chat) down?

I'm a regular in the unofficial snopes irc chat, which has always been hosted on irc.fleetchat.org. But for the past three nights when I tried to log in I just keep getting a bunch of "connection timed out" messages. Does anyone know if something's going on with that server? If any of the other regulars are reading this have you guys moved to a different server? I miss you guys.
Old 26 February 2013, 01:28 PM

Wait, fleetchat? Hasn't that been gone for a while? I've been logging on through trekfan.org lately. But yeah, I was getting timeouts when I tried to login (via trekfan) on Sunday. Wasn't online Saturday night or Monday night, so I can't say if it was up or down.

Honestly, I've been wondering if we should move to a new IRC server anyway. Fleetchat was never completely reliable, and I'm even less confident in Trekfan.
Old 26 February 2013, 03:03 PM

I did not even know snopes had an IRC channel
Old 26 February 2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rujasu View Post
Wait, fleetchat? Hasn't that been gone for a while? I've been logging on through trekfan.org lately. But yeah, I was getting timeouts when I tried to login (via trekfan) on Sunday.
Maybe fleetchat.org just redirects to trekfan.org now, but it's how I've been logging in and it worked until last weekend.
Old 26 February 2013, 04:11 PM

Wow, I remember hearing about the snopes irc chat nearly ten years ago. I think I popped in once, but I didn't "know" anyone like I do now, so I felt kind of awkward joining in. Do many people still participate?
Old 26 February 2013, 05:17 PM

There are still a handful of regulars in the channel, though it's been a pretty small group lately, some of whom aren't really active on the site anymore.
Old 26 February 2013, 05:33 PM

Generally during the time I'm usually there the regulars are rujasu (obviously), Kamino Neko, kjbrasda, Brownie (I believe she went by brown_lemming here and isn't really active on the site anymore), and of course me. There are a few others who show up on a less regular basis.
Old 26 February 2013, 08:15 PM

sorry, WB didn't see this until now. I haven't been able to get on either. I've been chatting with Neko (used to be Tengu here) through Steam chat. Back when fleetchat went down for good, I think I remember the guy who took over stating that he wasn't sure how long he could keep trekfan up. It's probably a good idea to change servers even if trekfan comes back. Or at least have a backup.
I'd really miss it if the chatroom went away permanently. I've been going there for almost 12 years I think nearly every day!
Old 26 February 2013, 10:54 PM

Yea, fleetchat pretty much went away. Everyone involved just moved away from the thing that started it and no one wanted to take over. I personally haven't been on IRC in years. Mr. Gibbie had been going to the snopes channel regularly to keep an eye on things but I don't even think he moved to the new one, even though it's a friend of his who runs it.

Are there any reliable IRC servers anymore? I know we started Fleetchat when Xworld got to be problematic. Too busy too many spammers. I don't know what the state of IRC is anymore.

Gibbie
Old 27 February 2013, 01:39 AM

Kamino Neko and I are on IRC server: irc.nightstar.net port: 6665-6669 channel: #urban_legends for now. We can see how it goes from there.
Old 27 February 2013, 01:27 PM

Thanks kj. Was busy last night, should be in there tonight. Like you said, we can see how it goes.