snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 25 February 2013, 03:37 PM

Dog Scooby SNAPs: New York organization offers ‘Pet Food Stamps’

The number of people in America on Food Stamps remains at an all-time high, and now a new program is allowing Fido, Garfield and their peers to get in on the goods. While the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a federal program administered by the states, Pet Food Stamps is a New York-based nonprofit that helps pet owners who can’t afford to support their animal friends.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/24/sc...t-food-stamps/
Old 25 February 2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
The number of people in America on Food Stamps remains at an all-time high, and now a new program is allowing Fido, Garfield and their peers to get in on the goods.
"Get in on the goods"? Seriously? What an aweful choice of words - and all the implications that come with it. When I lived in Delaware and was homeless (06', if it matters) I was given $121 dollars per month for food stamps, and that was for a person with exactly zero income and savings. Clearly I was living the good life, and everyone else needs to get in on that!
Old 25 February 2013, 06:00 PM

Bad choice of words, but an awesome idea. In Florida there was a local charity that would help with pet food and vet visits, and while I didn't avail myself of it, I was glad to know it was there if I absolutely needed it.
Many people on food stamps are elderly or disabled, and for them their pets can be a lifesaver.
I know my pets do wonders to help me stave off depression.
Old 25 February 2013, 06:14 PM

The thread on giving food to the homeless reminded me of the one time I passed a couple sitting on the street with a pile of possessions including a cat in a carrier, and a sign saying they had just lost their home. I was hurting financially myself at the time so I didn't have much money or food to give, but I did have a full bag of cat food at home (my own cat helped me tremendously through that time). I ran back to fill up a big zip lock bag of kibble, and they seemed to appreciate it. Whatever their story was, I hope it helped a little bit.
Old 25 February 2013, 06:24 PM

I remember a while back there was a poster on this board who was struggling financially and debating whether to give up her kitten, who was one of her only sources of solace in an incredibly trying time. Maybe it's because I'm a cat person; maybe it's because I'm a heartless bastard, but that predicament really got to me in a way that other stories of poverty, hunger, and sacrifice didn't. (Not that I didn't sympathize with those people, just that it wasn't quite as heart-wrenching). I can only imagine the outcry if tax dollars went to support poor people's pets--it seems like a lot of people don't even want poor people to be able to eat cookies--so I'm glad there are charities to serve this need.
Old 25 February 2013, 06:30 PM

I propose we screen the cats for catnip prior to dispensing benefits.
Old 25 February 2013, 07:16 PM

Some food pantries will take pet food. Always ask in advance, and make it clear you're thinking of it as for the companion animals -- not as a "let them eat cat food" sort of insult to the humans.
Old 25 February 2013, 07:16 PM

First things first, do we really want to give benefits to creatures that spend all their day on the couch? Maybe the working breeds can get benefits, but certainly not the non-working breeds.

PS. Also, they need to prove they are fixed as we don't want them popping out more welfare puppies or kitties.
Old 25 February 2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Some food pantries will take pet food. Always ask in advance, and make it clear you're thinking of it as for the companion animals -- not as a "let them eat cat food" sort of insult to the humans.
I've started throwing in some pet food along with the human food when I give to the food drives. I think it is appreciated by the people, plus it means that people will eat their food, and not give their meal to their pet. (Yes, I have known people who fed their pet before they fed themselves.)