snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 21 February 2013, 04:49 AM

Default New Amazon Kindle Commercial Features Warm Breezes, Gay Twist

This charming, LGBT-inclusive TV spot for the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite should help warm up your Wednesday:

http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/new-ki...ezes-gay-twist
Old 21 February 2013, 06:10 AM

Even though I know it's exactly what they were going for, and that I'm just being targeted like any other demographic, that made me smile.
Old 21 February 2013, 02:14 PM

Was anyone else expecting the woman to be a lesbian? It had a "man hitting on the woman, not going to be successful" vibe to it.
Old 21 February 2013, 03:29 PM

I think they kind of did that on purpose, to make the opposite twist more effective. (Though, I thought the way the guy is wearing his shirt might be seen as something of a gay stereotype, maybe intended as a tip-off.)
Old 21 February 2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I think they kind of did that on purpose, to make the opposite twist more effective. (Though, I thought the way the guy is wearing his shirt might be seen as something of a gay stereotype, maybe intended as a tip-off.)
I guess I was too busy being annoyed that he had his shirt on at all to notice a stereotype - what was it? Partially unbuttoned? Makes sense at the beach if a guy's not going shirtless.
Old 22 February 2013, 12:23 AM

That was adorable. Yay for Amazon.
Old 23 February 2013, 03:08 AM

Hmmm....YouTube has taken the video down: "A violation of YouTube's policy against spam, scams, and commercially deceptive content." Huh?

You can still see it here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...?ir=Gay+Voices

I had remembered the shirt as more open and showing some midriff. So I withdraw my earlier comment, and chastise myself for mental stereotyping.
Old 23 February 2013, 03:12 AM

Wow! That was really refreshing!
Old 23 February 2013, 09:11 AM

Barclays bank had an ad last year for their new debit card you can put your own photo on. Cue lots of people in photo booths having their pics taken and then the card popping out with their favourite pic on it. One of the couples was two men; no fuss, no bother, just a same-sex couple doing what everyone else was doing.

Shame Barclays is a bit of a crap company but hey, it's a start!
Old 14 March 2013, 05:20 PM

While the "it should be normal, not bad or special" is the ultimate goal of homosexual relationships I think it's unreasonable not to expect (in the US at least, can't speak for overseas) a commercial that features a gay couple to be noticed, and if you are going to point it out I think doing it like the OP is a good plan. Yes, the fact that he is gay is a twist, and obviously the focus of the commercial, but they didn't make him (or, his husband) a stereotype in themselves nor was the fact that they were gay a 'joke' exactly.

I think it was a good commercial, funny and a good twist I'd not have seen coming were it not for the thread title.
Old 14 March 2013, 05:40 PM

I meant to put this in the thread under 'Commercials You Actually Like'. I liked the surprise and gay-friendly twist.
Old 14 March 2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
While the "it should be normal, not bad or special" is the ultimate goal of homosexual relationships
The ultimate goals of homosexual relationships are the same as for heterosexual relationships (and can vary just as much): love, sex, companionship, children, marriage, etc. Acceptance isn't the goal of the relationship.

I suppose this could be seen as a nitpick, but it's actually quite an important distinction in a world where bigots take things like a same-sex couple holding hands is "shoving it down their thoats," and being "in your face." That is, some people think that the goal of these relationships really is to make a statement, or make others uncomfortable, or "recruit" others, or to deliberately be depraved, and so on.
Old 14 March 2013, 07:05 PM

Sorry I meant in how they are portrayed in media; much like the race of a couple is not usually relevant to the commercial (though obviously white is still typical and you see few mixed race couples so we aren't 'there yet') the sexual preference should be as well.

The ultimate goal, with regards for media, should be "Who cares" when it comes to the sexuality of the fictional couple used to sell whatever product. But, since we aren't there yet, having a positive portrayal is better than a stereotypical one or none at all.
Old 14 March 2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Was anyone else expecting the woman to be a lesbian? It had a "man hitting on the woman, not going to be successful" vibe to it.
Um, maybe just a little.