snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 17 February 2013, 07:30 PM

The only thing I've ever had removed was a wisdom tooth on one side, the other one on that side was still growing in so they just took the one. I do have two other wisdom teeth now that I'm supposed to get removed. I've never had any problems with my tonsils. I've never broken any bones either, or had surgery unless you count removing the wisdom tooth.
Old 17 February 2013, 07:45 PM

I used to get strep every year, and there was some talk of removing my tonsils but then I stopped getting strep for some reason. I have everything I arrived here with, minus my wisdom teeth which I had to have cut out when I was 19 or so, and some other teeth that were crowding my mouth. I only have 24 teeth in my head right now and apparently "normal" is 32.
Old 17 February 2013, 10:26 PM

I still have my tonsils & adenoids. I've never had an ear infection either. My brother is the same way & I've wondered if there was something in our genes that made us less prone to such infections.
Old 18 February 2013, 03:35 AM

Small children typically get ear infections because of the size of the Eustachian tubes leading from the nose to the ears. When one experiences congestion, the stuff backs up not only into the sinuses, but sometimes into the Eustachian tubes. Smaller, narrower tubes means they get blocked more easily, trapping fluid in the ear. Maybe your Eustachian tubes were wider than the average child's, maybe you have strong immune systems, or maybe you're just lucky.
Old 18 February 2013, 05:18 AM

Yeah, I studied speech pathology for 2 years in college so I know about the Eustachian tubes. It probably is that & some luck as well. I'm healthier than my brother overall (asthma & allergies on his part) but I had my share. For some reason they never affected my ears.
I just remember, even as a kid, wondering why I never got ear infections. Makes me curious if anyone has done a study on Eustachian tube size in kids in relation to how frequently they get ear infections.
Old 18 February 2013, 06:26 AM

Well, I had tons and I have negative pressure in my Eustachian tubes. I can't pop my ears by blowing the way a lot of people do. I went to an ENT that did a lot of tests and that was the result. That and "we don't know what your problem is, come back in six months" and then "it has either gone away or gone further into the ear." Um, thanks.
ETA: my eardrum kept perforating and pretty much pus drained out for days. My doctor and I have a working theory now, and the only time it has happened in the last decade I was on antibiotics so it was just clear fluid.
Old 19 February 2013, 05:55 PM

I'm 34, I had mine taken out when I was 6 when I spent most of my kindergarten year out sick with one infection after the other. The doctor told my mom that they were trying to avoid removing them as much as they had in the past but they were worried that my tonsils never seemed to stay healthy for more than a few weeks so it was probably for the best. My sister who is 41 had hers removed after only a couple of infections and it was considered a routine procedure and the doctor didn't think twice about it. This was the same doctor too. So I figure the attitudes towards the surgery changed some time in the late 70s.
Old 20 February 2013, 10:48 PM

At 51, still have tonsils, appendix, etc. I've never had any surgery of any sort, or been hospitalized for anything. (Knock wood!) I came close twice: a nasty bout of flu when I was very small that was causing serious dehydration - my pediatrician was on the verge of sending me there when I started to recover. The second time was when my nose met someone's knee violently in a game of flag football in junior high school; the coach thought my nose had been broken. I went to the emergency room and they took x-rays, but it turned out to be OK, and they just told me to hold ice on it for a few hours.

I probably should have had my wisdom teeth out; their coming in put pressure on my other teeth that has caused me problems since. But, lack of dental insurance....well.
Old 22 February 2013, 07:08 PM

I'm 29 and still have my tonsils. My sister (27) was quite close to getting her tonsils out due to frequent problems, but eventually she got over it and got to keep em'. Like blucanary, the doctor was very reluctant to take her tonsils. When I was a kid, I was actually depressed that I'd never had them taken out because I'd kept seeing things like episodes of Fat Albert where they'd show kids who'd get their tonsils out, get a week off from school, and dine on ice cream. It seemed awesome It never occurred to me surgery actually sucks.

I had my wisdom teeth out at 12 - they came in early while I was still in the middle of braces, and it came down to it being cheaper to just take my wisdom teeth out and keep the braces then let them come in and screw up the orthodontics. They actually came out surgically so they were removed before they actually came in. And my reaction to it was so bad (at least a week of painful swelling and nausea) it mortified my sister when she found out hers had to come out too. She was fine though, she was down maybe a day

I'm also missing one more tooth - one of my permanent molars never formed. Dentist just pulled out the baby tooth in middle school and I never noticed, but every time I get a new dentist, they always comment on how odd it is.
Old 22 February 2013, 08:43 PM

Another one here with nothing removed, tonsils, wisdom teeth, appendix, etc. Certainly when I was a kid, there were a number of all-too-routine removals, but somehow I either did not get the infections that provided an excuse or had doctors that thought if a thing was not broken, it should not be monkeyed with.
Old 22 February 2013, 08:55 PM

I had four perfectly healthy teeth removed to make room for straightening of my teeth -- that was quite common in the 1970s. And then my wisdom teeth were removed as soon as they showed up on the x-ray, because it was obvious that letting them grow in would undo those years of braces.