snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 18 February 2013, 10:00 PM

I have my book available to download for Kindle, and order on Amazon, but I haven't had any sales/borrows. Should I take it to a publishing company?
Old 18 February 2013, 10:01 PM

if you have any hard copies of it, you can look into getting a booth at a literary convention, or talk to a bookstore near you. That would help promote it.
Old 18 February 2013, 10:23 PM

Another issue I have is that I'm currently using a template cover that I don't like very much, because it is a template cover (though I don't know what would be any better). I don't have any hard copies, I'd have to order them so I'm not sure what would be the optimal course of action.

Plus there's the fact that I'm an introvert and no good at self-marketing beyond just mentioning it here and on Facebook.
Old 18 February 2013, 10:51 PM

Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Ganzfeld, maybe work out a variation on Liar's Poker/Commune?
Oh, yeah. That definitely sounds fun!
Old 19 February 2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Sabre View Post
I have my book available to download for Kindle, and order on Amazon, but I haven't had any sales/borrows. Should I take it to a publishing company?
You can try, but first rights are already gone, and they're what most publishing companies want.
Old 19 February 2013, 01:19 AM

Is there a gardening thread? Or: is it a stupid idea to plant a summer veggie garden under some established shade trees? (I feel like it would be better to have the shade in burning midday heat, for the gardener as much as the garden itself, and any watering overrun won't be wasted, right?)
But I have this vague idea that trees don't like things growing around their knees, and would somehow stunt them??
Or what if they were raised/boxed vege beds, still under the shade canopy, but not encroaching on the trunk or roots?
Old 19 February 2013, 02:02 AM

marrya, 1) I think there is a gardening thread, or at least used to be and 2) I'm not remotely in your climate or area and not qualified to give location-specific advice (and location matters to more things than you might think, in gardening); but, very much in general: it depends on the shade trees, the angle of the sun, and the particular vegetables.

Some plants you can eat like shade, or partial shade. Some need full sun, or at any rate what passes for full sun if you live, like I do, a significant distance from the equator in a climate with a lot of cloud cover. And some specific trees don't get along with some specific plants -- you can't grow tomatos under black walnuts, for instance, but raspberries don't mind the walnuts.

The issues are basically the amount of sunlight; the availability of water and nutrients, as the well-established tree roots are likely to outcompete most vegetables if there's a shortage; and whether the trees are of species that give off chemicals from their roots that discourage growth in certain other plants. Then, in relation to that, you need to know the requirements of the particular vegetables.

And then there's the overwhelming fact that, if you don't plant the veggie garden, it certainly won't grow. I'd go ahead and plant; note what does well and what doesn't; and adjust accordingly next year.

If you can get local advice first, either from neighbors or from whatever equivalent of our Cooperative Extension might exist in your area, so much the better. Some seed companies give good advice (others tell you everything they sell will do great anywhere, so use caution if you don't know the reputation. A willingness to say "no, this variety we carry won't work in that situation" is a good sign.)
Old 19 February 2013, 02:08 AM

Icon18

I've been jonesing for Vietnamese-brewed iced coffee for the past couple days, but I have no loose coffee. Has anyone ever cracked open a K-cup and tried to brew the stuff inside?

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 19 February 2013, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
You can try, but first rights are already gone, and they're what most publishing companies want.
That is disappointing, but thanks for letting me know.
Old 19 February 2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
But it's a Spanish word in the name Real Madrid. In Spanish, it's pronounced rey-ahl, not ree-al, regardless of the accent in which you speak English.
Not even all Spaniards will pronounce it the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Thanks for the poker suggestions. They all sound like betting so far (eg betting candy or betting points). I was wondering if there was something other than betting.
Poker is designed for betting. Otherwise, there is no penalty for bad play. Everyone just shows the hand they get and no real strategy is required. I see it as a good way to teach forward thinking and consequences. ()

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
It should be all about "knowing what to throw away, and knowing what to keep".
In other words, you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
Old 19 February 2013, 07:46 AM

I have nothing against playing the betting kind of poker with the children for candy or chips or whatever. I just thought there might be an alternative that we all could enjoy.
Old 19 February 2013, 08:57 AM

FWIW, I learned to play crib/cribbage from my grandad, probably aged around 6 years or so (looking back, I'm guessing everyone was very patient with me!)
It's not a kids game, but one kids can play and enjoy, I reckon.

We also used to play a version of car crib 'scoring' numberplates as we passed cars.
Old 19 February 2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
marrya, 1) I think there is a gardening thread, or at least used to be and 2) I'm not remotely in your climate or area and not qualified to give location-specific advice (and location matters to more things than you might think, in gardening); but, very much in general: it depends on the shade trees, the angle of the sun, and the particular vegetables.
all good points, thanks!!
Old 19 February 2013, 09:14 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrya View Post
all good points, thanks!!
Try talking to a nursery ; they should be able to help.
Old 19 February 2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrya View Post
FWIW, I learned to play crib/cribbage from my grandad, probably aged around 6 years or so (looking back, I'm guessing everyone was very patient with me!)
It's not a kids game, but one kids can play and enjoy, I reckon.
As did I.

In my area just about everyone learned it from their parents. I remember teaching my younger cousins the game.

In my household at least it was an important part of growing up as it provided some intergenerational common ground.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 19 February 2013, 04:32 PM

I think most of us are familiar with concept of the "Top 5" list of celebrities with whom your spouse or SO grants permission to sleep with.

Does a celebrity's presence on that list override the "minimum age" rule whereby a partner has to be at least 1/2 your age plus 7 years?
Old 19 February 2013, 05:03 PM

Whew. I thought you meant "minimum age" under 18. In any case, I guess it is up to your SO if she is creeped out about you having fantasies about a 19 year old. OTOH, it is all for fun (right?), so it's all good.

So who is it? Dakota Channing? Cher Lloyd?

-Dave (was glad to learn that Sia is 35)
Old 19 February 2013, 05:21 PM

I'm not a perv*, the hypothetical person is 20 (my minimum age is 27).

* Shut up!
Old 19 February 2013, 11:07 PM

One would think pro athletes and/or supermodels would be fairly popular choices, but by using that formula, many/most of them would be out of touch to someone who was so much as in their 40s.

Bottom line, it's a fantasy. Provided the celeb's of legal age, I think you get a pass.
Old 19 February 2013, 11:11 PM

Is there equivalent to "race" in other animals? Breed? Sub-species?

(And yes I know that "breed" was used derogatorily at times, as in the phrase "Half breed" and such, I'm speaking purely from a technical standpoint)
Closed Thread