snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Automobiles

Old 02 February 2013, 07:24 PM

I also think that if they will go through the effort of changing the plates, they might try to do other things to the car like getting it cleaned and detailed to make it look less obvious of a target.

ETA: Also when they run the plates, they can tell what the make and model and color it is supposed to be.
Old 04 February 2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Hijackably, that reminds me of Christopher Walken saying that he learned to dance because all the mothers in his neighborhood sent their kids (boys and girls) to dance school, and adding that most of his childhood friends grew up to be cops, so there must at one time have been a number of NYC cops who could hoof it.
This makes me very happy. Next we will see "Law and Order: Dance Squad"
Old 19 February 2013, 12:05 AM

The shocking truth is that they get off on the static discharge...
Old 23 February 2013, 05:41 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy View Post
Stolen plates or not, recording the plate number can still be helpful.
If the plates are no longer on the car, they're not going to be very helpful in finding that car.
Old 23 February 2013, 05:43 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Also when they run the plates, they can tell what the make and model and color it is supposed to be.
So what? If you're looking for a green Toyota Camry, knowing that it once bore license plates that actually belonged to a red Nissan Stanza isn't going to help you identify it.
Old 23 February 2013, 06:23 PM

I would assume the cops got luck and pulled the car over with the stolen plates.
Old 23 February 2013, 09:28 PM

Jaded

Quote:
I would assume the cops got luck and pulled the car over with the stolen plates.
Note this wording, from a previous post, carefully. Pay particular attention to the bolded portion:

"If the plates were stolen and the perpetrators removed or swapped them after getting away, knowing the plate number won't help identify the car."
Old 23 February 2013, 09:36 PM

I took the words "knowing the plate number" as in that they knew the stolen plate numbers and that the cops later got lucky and when they ran the plates they came up flagged as possibly linked to the crime. I wasn't thinking about a second switch which would complicate things unless the perps got pulled over and the cop found mismatched plates with the car, they would get more suspicious.

It wasn't looking for specific plates per se it was the fact that someone has plates from another car entirely that would help things out.

It wouldn't help obviously though if the second swapping was back to the correct plates though.
Old 23 February 2013, 10:56 PM

Icon101

G Gordon Liddy said you're supposed to break one of the taillights with your nightstick.
Old 24 February 2013, 05:59 AM

Police

Quote:
Also when they run the plates, they can tell what the make and model and color it is supposed to be.
Most states registration do not have the color attached. And procedure may vary differently in different places, but as a standard procedure we don't run the plate prior to stopping the car. The plate is given when the stop is called to dispatch and they run the plate, but it is very likely that I will already be talking to the driver by the time the plate is actually ran by the dispatcher, and if there was a stolen plate which had not yet been reported it would not likely raise any flags with the dispatcher that she needs to give me back the information.
Old 24 February 2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Blue View Post
Most states registration do not have the color attached.
Really? That surprises me. I would think that states would want to have as much information about a car as they could. Color just makes sense. Of course the color can be changed but how often does that happen for most people?

Quote:
And procedure may vary differently in different places, but as a standard procedure we don't run the plate prior to stopping the car.
That surprises me too. I imagine a worse case where someone has a stolen car (that is reported as such) and gets antsy with the cop and try to harm him on approach. I would figure that that they would run it just in case so they can get alerted. Of course I don't know how easy it is to run them down.

Quote:
and if there was a stolen plate which had not yet been reported it would not likely raise any flags with the dispatcher that she needs to give me back the information.
Well obviously if it wasn't yet reported no flags would be raised, my theory was based on the idea that it was reported in the first place.

The OP des make more sense given all of that then - however I guess it's only useful so long as the print does remain and the cops find the car later and can successfully match it with one that they are looking for later. If a criminal knows the authorities are after him they are going to do whatever they can to make sure their car won't get found and raise said red flags if they know what is good for them.
Old 24 February 2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
If the plates are no longer on the car, they're not going to be very helpful in finding that car.
Sometimes it's not just about finding the car, but about finding the driver. For example, the driver could kill the cop and drive away. If the cop recorded the (stolen) plate beforehand, there is extra evidence that could help solve the crime. The plate could be found with the driver's fingerprint on it.
Old 24 February 2013, 08:55 PM

Police

Quote:
I imagine a worse case where someone has a stolen car (that is reported as such) and gets antsy with the cop and try to harm him on approach.
Being in a stolen vehicle is only one of many reasons someone my try and harm me when I stop a car. I approach every car assuming and prepared that someone in the car is going to try and harm or kill me.
Old 24 February 2013, 10:19 PM

Hubby's cousin is a state trooper, and he told me if I am ever pulled over to leave my hands on the wheel where they can easily be seen until the officer is at the window, and then when they ask for license etc, tell them, "My license is in my wallet, and the insurance and registration are in the glove box." Then when they acknowledge that, then get out the documents. I've been pulled over twice, and did this both times, and both officers seemed happy I did that. I don't know if it's universal, but that goes over well here in NJ.
Old 24 February 2013, 10:35 PM

Can they even see your hands before they get to your car? Last time I was pulled over, I had my license and registration out and ready to hand over by the time he got to me.
Old 24 February 2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Can they even see your hands before they get to your car? Last time I was pulled over, I had my license and registration out and ready to hand over by the time he got to me.
That's probably not the best idea. The cop might be able to see you doing something, but he doesn't know whether you're looking for your license, a gun, or trying to hide something.