snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 08 February 2013, 05:45 PM

I just hope that slipping out of that dress is a little more difficult than slipping into it. And that the lights are not too hot. Still, weird, and what happens to the dress afterwards? Is there a rendering party?
Pork was an important part of American life historically. My grandfather raised and slaughtered a pig every year. I remember seeing one of them in their pen, snorting and stamping--I found that frightening. At that point, I was glad it was going to be eaten soon. Not the pretty piglet of fiction.
I just watched an episode or two of The United States of Bacon earlier this week, I liked the imagination of some of the chefs.

Ali
Old 08 February 2013, 09:20 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagurit View Post
The Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival doesn't take place until Saturday at the State Fairgrounds, but plenty of Iowans are already swooning for swine.

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iow...#ixzz2KK2EKH8B
Quote:
The event has doubled in size every year.
I'm afraid I would, too, if I ever got my hands on a ticket.
Old 09 February 2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondi View Post
I dunno...there's something about the smell of bacon. I love the smell of bacon in the morning. And in the afternoon. And in the evening. There's no wrong time for bacon.
Ugh. That's one of those smells I really don't like, and I find that the smell of bacon lingers for a long time. I think I don't like the smell because it reminds me of the stomach upset I get after consuming too much bacon (which is probably a pittance compared to the amount of bacon a lot of Americans like to eat at once).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rujasu View Post
...I think bacon is best served standalone, with nothing touching it (especially not maple syrup!) next to some eggs or pancakes...
See, I disagree. I think bacon serves better as an agent that adds complexity to the already existing flavors of a dish, and should be used sparingly because of how strong its flavor is.

To be honest, I really don't get the love Americans have for bacon.
Old 09 February 2013, 06:13 PM

Baseball

On a related but completely irrelevant note, I decided that I missed bacon enough to buy some the other day.

I'm not a big bacon fan, and I do prefer my burgers, salads and ice cream to remain bacon free. In fact, the only thing I actually like bacon in is a bacon and tomato sandwich.

So, I spent $10 and bought a pound of bacon, and over three days I had bacon and tomato sandwiches. Except the last day when I had no tomato and the souk did not have any either.

It was a nice taste of home. I can now go 6 more months without bacon.

Old 09 February 2013, 07:44 PM

I love bacon. What I cannot stand to eat, touch or smell is pork rinds.

Wanna make your own "Jimmy Dean" bacon and save the frying in the morning, not to mention the money?

It's really, REALLY HARD TO DO: Cook it, drain it, cool it, stuff it into a ziploc bag. The fat will keep the pieces from sticking together. To heat, wrap loosely in a paper towel and zap in 10 second bursts until you figure out what works in your microwave. It'l come out just like fresh from the pan.
Old 10 February 2013, 05:08 AM

Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
I just hope that slipping out of that dress is a little more difficult than slipping into it. And that the lights are not too hot. Still, weird, and what happens to the dress afterwards? Is there a rendering party?
Apparently, not raw bacon. Here's the queen wearing her dress and more fun with bacon: http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#...con-dress.kcci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
I'm afraid I would, too, if I ever got my hands on a ticket.
It looks like fun and makes me hungry for bacon. It also made me think of the 24 oz pkg of Wright's Applewood Bacon in the freezer, which is now resting comfortably in the frig.
Old 14 February 2013, 04:11 AM

Derp: Forgot to say the cooked bacon in the bag is supposed to go in the freezer.....

I'll go home now.