snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 04 February 2013, 09:04 PM

When I was growing up, washing any dishes made in the course of cooking (and any others waiting to be done) was one of the rules for us kids. I loved to bake, so it was worth it to me to have to wash dishes afterward. My father imagined himself to be a gourmet cook, but was not subject to this rule, and thus managed to dirty at least three times the number of bowls, pans, and utensils that would have been necessary with even minimal planning and re-use.

My mom's response to my asking why she put up with it (because she was the one who usually ended up cleaning up after him) was that she wasn't his mother, so it wasn't her job to raise him. I posit that it may not have been her job, but training him to have a little bit of respect for the person washing the dishes would have saved her a lot of trouble in the long run.

He was the worst about showing respect for the fact someone would eventually be washing the dishes he left. We did them by hand, and a bit of pre-cleaning when food is still wet can save a lot of scrubbing once it has dried. The worst was when I reached bare-handed into the wash water to grab a dish, only to discover he had left half a bowl full of microwaved frozen Brussels sprouts (ick, ick) just sitting in the sink under the other dishes. I went back to wearing rubber gloves after that incident, even if I was more prone to breaking glasses.

I've become very tolerant of things not being done "the right way" (my way, of course) around the house, as long as it isn't being done in a harmful way. When my husband does something that doesn't make things significantly easier for himself, but makes things harder for me, I do get upset though. Whether it means I've "raised" him or not, at least I've let him know what those things are so that he's stopped doing them. My father was/is an ass, though, so asking him not to do something would only let him know it annoyed you, so he could do it more.
Old 04 February 2013, 09:14 PM

Neener, Neener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
Heh. You obviously haven't been introduced to the concept of a "hurricane deductible".
In that case, I'll share with you some of our surplus tornadoes.
Old 04 February 2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriah View Post
Mine was Fred Meyer brand marionberry. On mine it's listed as Truvia which is a brand name for stevia. And on another note, I hate it when they discontinue my favorite flavor. DD2 has written her first complaint letter/picture to Fred Meyer for discontinuing the star shaped fruit snacks. It is a very angry picture.
ETA: And I walked away from the computer before posting... It doesn't look like my bad guy is in your yogurt. It's always possible your sensitive to something else in the new stuff though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I'm not Arriah, but the fruit on the bottom one is sweetened with fructose syrup and high fructose corn syrup. The light and fit one is sweetened with aspartame, acesulfame potassium, and sucralose. (No stevia).
Back to the drawing board! I think I'll switch back to my old Dannon, just in case. Thank you. I never would've thought of yogurt as the culprit.
Old 04 February 2013, 09:26 PM

I've heard some anecdotal reports that sucralose (Splenda) causes gas for some people. I don't think there have been any studies that have verified that, so it could just be coincidence, but it also might be something to be aware of if you notice the symptoms again.

ETA: It doesn't have that effect on me--I use Splenda extensively and haven't had a problem with it--so if it causes that problem it is probably combined with an individual being sensitive to it.
Old 04 February 2013, 09:57 PM

Ok, thanks erwins. I use aspartame with no problem. I'm still going to try switching, just wish I could get the same fruit for a fair comparison.
Old 04 February 2013, 10:16 PM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagurit View Post
Spam, please come up and make cinnamon rolls with me!
Are you daft?? At this time of the year, you need Spam to send you a ticket to FLORIDA!
Old 04 February 2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Arriah, here are the ingredients for Dannon Fruit on the bottom, and these are the ingredients for Dannon Light & Fit. Can you spot anything suspicious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I'm not Arriah, but the fruit on the bottom one is sweetened with fructose syrup and high fructose corn syrup. The light and fit one is sweetened with aspartame, acesulfame potassium, and sucralose. (No stevia).
Sucralose can cause problems. They're usually more violent and associated with overconsumption but perhaps you are just sensitive.

I have the same problem for a different reason. My doctor told me probiotics were the best things - BioK+ or something that has at least 25 billion per pill. The thing is, with the multiple strains, sometimes they just end up eating each other. BioK+ is more expensive but it is the best.

My report cards had a TON of errors. I basically had to rewrite the first page on each one. But it's done. Add another three hours to the total. And I haven't even signed, copied, or stuffed them in the envelopes yet!
Old 04 February 2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Are you daft?? At this time of the year, you need Spam to send you a ticket to FLORIDA!
That's it! We're all meeting up at Spam's place for cinnamon rolls on the beach. Spam, we'll be expecting cinnamon rolls for 5000 by, say, Saturday - okay?

I'll bring 100 pounds of butter. I am sure the TSA would not have a problem with that.
Old 04 February 2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
That's it! We're all meeting up at Spam's place for cinnamon rolls on the beach. Spam, we'll be expecting cinnamon rolls for 5000 by, say, Saturday - okay?

I'll bring 100 pounds of butter. I am sure the TSA would not have a problem with that.
Wait, I got it! We'll all fly down to Florida, make the cinnamon rolls, and sell them to raise money for Spam!
Old 05 February 2013, 03:25 AM

Chef

*knock knock knock*

Hi, we're the snopes-scouts! Would you like to buy some cinnamon rolls? The proceeds go to help support needy members and to decrease the amount of BS in the world!
Old 05 February 2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
Sucralose can cause problems. They're usually more violent and associated with overconsumption but perhaps you are just sensitive.
Do you have a cite? I looked but couldn't find anything authoritative.
Old 05 February 2013, 11:55 AM

Google's pronunciation function (in translation). Apparently sublimation is pronounced "sub-lime-ay-shun". Unfortunately people actually depend on these services we get for free but they aren't all that accurate.
Old 05 February 2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyBean View Post
Wait, I got it! We'll all fly down to Florida, make the cinnamon rolls, and sell them to raise money for Spam!
This is the best idea ever. Except, y'all COULD just send me the money you were planning to spend on plane tickets.
Old 05 February 2013, 02:58 PM

Jaded

Quote:
I don't understand why parents don't teach their kids things. That's Parenting 101.
Some parents just have to believe life would grind to a halt in their absence.
Old 05 February 2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
This is the best idea ever. Except, y'all COULD just send me the money you were planning to spend on plane tickets.
Whassamatter? You don't want to put up 5000 of your closest friends for a meet-up and slumber party?
Old 05 February 2013, 06:01 PM

If I buy crackers that are advertised as "savory herb", I am really REALLY disappointed when they're sweet. Yuck, Special K. Just yuck.
Old 05 February 2013, 06:17 PM

Ewww, I think I had some of those. Not nice at all. I threw them away.
Old 05 February 2013, 07:56 PM

Some of the Special K stuff is just gross. It's either too sweet or you can taste the chemicals in it.
Old 05 February 2013, 09:49 PM

Airplane

Quote:
But that wouldn't be as much fun now, would it?
Old 05 February 2013, 11:12 PM

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyBean View Post
But that wouldn't be as much fun now, would it?
No. No it wouldn't.

What would be really fun is buying a place like this and telling all y'all to come see me. I'll buy a Powerball ticket tomorrow and let you know when the party starts.
Closed Thread