snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 03 February 2013, 02:36 PM

Default Ex-Navy sniper killed at Texas gun range

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/03/justice/texas-sniper-killed/

Quote:
A former Navy SEAL, author of the best-selling autobiography "American Sniper," was one of two people killed Saturday at a gun range, authorities said.

Chris Kyle, 38, who declared himself the "most lethal sniper in U.S. history," was killed along with 35-year-old Chad Littlefield on Saturday afternoon in Glen Rose, Texas, southwest of Fort Worth, the Texas Department of Public Safety said.
Old 03 February 2013, 05:58 PM

I'm trying to figure out how someone who repeatedly talked about how they were the most lethal sniper in the US military multiple times and wrote a book about it could be described as "humble."
Old 03 February 2013, 06:14 PM

Icon07

Maybe he believes in the maxim that "It ain't bragging if you can do it."
Old 03 February 2013, 08:15 PM

Also, it is reported that he did not talk about it all the time. Rather those around him kept bringing it up. I have not read his book but as described in the paper this morning, the book talks about the others around him during his time in service.

Although the alleged killer has been caught, no motive has been given for the two murders.
Old 04 February 2013, 05:27 AM

I'm just a little bit disturbed by the thought that to treat someone with a mental illness, he took them to a rifle range and gave them a gun.
Old 04 February 2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
I'm just a little bit disturbed by the thought that to treat someone with a mental illness, he took them to a rifle range and gave them a gun.
Where are you seeing that?
Old 04 February 2013, 10:08 AM

The OP article states that the two victims chaired a foundation to help fellow veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder. Per this article, a local TV station reported the alleged shooter was one such veteran. That said, painting everyone with a "mental illness" with the same "could snap at any moment" stereotype is inaccurate and unfair. Someone with PTSD is far more likely to cower in fear than go on a shooting spree.
Old 04 February 2013, 03:49 PM

I was going to post this as a new topic, but I found this thread and thought I would post it here:

The conspiracy theories are hitting this one pretty hard. In the last month, three (at least three) fairly prominent gun people have died under "mysterious" circumstances.

John Noveske died a few weeks ago in a one car accident.

Keith Ratliff was murdered a few weeks ago, within a few days of the Noveske accident, IIRC.

Chris Kyle was murdered a few days ago at a gun range.

I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theories, but quite a few people apparently do. I'm even hearing it from people who are "gun people."
Old 04 February 2013, 06:02 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiev View Post
I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theories, but quite a few people apparently do. I'm even hearing it from people who are "gun people."
Wouldn't they be the ones most suspicious of a conspiracy?
Old 04 February 2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
The OP article states that the two victims chaired a foundation to help fellow veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder. Per this article, a local TV station reported the alleged shooter was one such veteran. That said, painting everyone with a "mental illness" with the same "could snap at any moment" stereotype is inaccurate and unfair. Someone with PTSD is far more likely to cower in fear than go on a shooting spree.
Kyle created a foundation that helps veterans with PTSD get home exercise equipment. They don't treat people with PTSD. I haven't seen anything saying that he was attempting to treat anyone for a mental illness.

Last edited by erwins; 04 February 2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04 February 2013, 08:21 PM

The Dallas Morning News article of today noted that he would often talk to people with PTSD as he seemed to feel that it was better to talk to someone who had been there instead of a psychologist who had just read about it. Shooting was given as an activity to use as a bonding experience as it is something that all the participants are familiar with.
Old 04 February 2013, 09:32 PM

OK. I just wasn't seeing that in the OP, which is why I asked. It looked like some conclusions were being jumped to, unless there was another source of information than the OP. I don't really agree that "talking to" someone is the same as "treat[ing] someone" with a mental illness, and that the treatment was to go to the shooting range, but I'll drop it there.
Old 05 February 2013, 09:39 AM

I saw this guy on a recent episode of Sons Of Guns. He talked about wanting to help those who were having trouble transitioning back to civillian life after active duty. He spoke quite candidly about the problems he faced and wanted to help others reestablish themselves.
Old 05 February 2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
Wouldn't they be the ones most suspicious of a conspiracy?
Probably so, but there are people who aren't into guns (in fact, I know a couple of people who are extremly anti-gun, even the police and military shouldn't be allowed to have guns type of people) who are saying they think it's too much of a coincidence.

My only point being, even some non-gun people seem to see it as more than just a coincidence, so it's not just "paranoid gun people" who see a conspiracy. Personally, I doubt any conspiracy.
Old 05 February 2013, 04:47 PM

I think one of the major reasons people are seeing it as a conspiracy is because they're not seeing all the other people who were killed by guns in the same timeframe being listed on the news. If we go the full rate of daily gun violence reported on, these incidents wouldn't seem nearly as noteworthy.
Old 05 February 2013, 06:12 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I think one of the major reasons people are seeing it as a conspiracy is because they're not seeing all the other people who were killed by guns in the same timeframe being listed on the news. If we go the full rate of daily gun violence reported on, these incidents wouldn't seem nearly as noteworthy.
Except the "first of three" people in this conspiracy mystery died in a car accident - they were not killed with a gun. The second was shot, at close range, in what would look like a robbery or assault by someone he knew (because this trained gun aficionado did not defend himself, despite having guns within reach). If anything, that looks suspicious because the culprit is still at large. This last case, well, it looks like the case is solved, and unless someone can prove brain-washing or mind control, it won't be as much of a conspiracy as people may now think.
Old 05 February 2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
This last case, well, it looks like the case is solved, and unless someone can prove brain-washing or mind control, it won't be as much of a conspiracy as people may now think.
Since when has "proof" been a necessary component of a conspiracy theory?
Old 06 February 2013, 07:12 PM

The shooting goes to show that the National Rifle Association's logic did not hold true.

A firing range is not a gun-free zone.

Mr. Kyle was armed, and, as a former SEAL, he was more skillful with firearms than almost anyone else in the world, but he could not defend himself.

There were others at the range, but those Good Guys With Guns™ were unable to stop the shooting.
Old 06 February 2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
The shooting goes to show that the National Rifle Association's logic did not hold true.
You are really comparing apples to oranges.

We don't know the details yet but this appears to have been a very sudden shooting. I have never heard the NRA or anyone else claim those can be stopped. In the police academy we were always taught if someone wanted you dead then more then likely you would be dead.

It's very simple in the fact that a person who wants to shoot you has several seconds to do that before you can react back. So at a point blank range this person as long as he could hit his targets could shoot both people before they had time to react.

NRA is talking about a situation where someone breaks into your home or an active shooting where YOU have time to react.

Now I don't agree with the NRA on a lot of issues but their logic doesn't fail or win in this situation. This is just a sad situation and I think it will become more sad as we find out the details.