snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 05 February 2013, 02:29 PM

I have to agree with Meka, I didn't care for either the Jeep or Dodge commercial which were so similar I thought they were from the same car company at first.
Old 05 February 2013, 02:46 PM

Technically speaking, they are - Jeep and Dodge... err, I guess it's Ram for the trucks now... are both Chrysler brands.
Old 05 February 2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
When the ad in question has nothing to do with the product, and then shoehorns a product placement in at the end, I think I'm allowed to call them on it.
I don't see what Clydesdale horses have to do with beer, either
Old 05 February 2013, 03:13 PM

The Clydesdale horses are specifically used by Budweiser for advertising. They aren't a seperate entity that has nothing to do with Budweiser that Budweiser just grabbed onto.
Old 05 February 2013, 03:15 PM

They still have nothing to do with beer. The Clydesdale horses have always been showing things that have nothing to do with beer and then shoehorning a product placement in the end
Old 05 February 2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
The Clydesdale horses are specifically used by Budweiser for advertising. They aren't a seperate entity that has nothing to do with Budweiser that Budweiser just grabbed onto.
Historically and still occasionally today, beer was delivered by horse-drawn drays pulled by Clydesdales.
Old 05 February 2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Historically and still occasionally today, beer was delivered by horse-drawn drays pulled by Clydesdales.
Historically, and still today, farmers have been using Dodge trucks while farming.
Old 05 February 2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay
I don't see what Clydesdale horses have to do with beer, either
Except for the fact that they've appeared in Budweiser commercials for years, to the point where the company would sue any other beer manufacturer that tried to use them in a commercial, absolutely nothing.

If the Budweiser commercial had said, "Horses did not choose to work for humans. Horses work long hours without complaint. Horses sleep in unheated barns, suffer quietly, are one catastrophic injury from being put to death, and still do their jobs - Buy Budweiser!" then your comparison would be valid. The Clydesdale commercial made it plain from the beginning that it was for beer, and never tried to be a "Support horses!" ad.

Quote:
The Clydesdale horses have always been showing things that have nothing to do with beer and then shoehorning a product placement in the end
Have you actually seen the commercial in question? The Budweiser logo is prominent throughout. The Ram commercial, if memory serves, showed exactly one truck, with the tailgate down and no logos visible, before the last 2 seconds of the commercial, when it finally reveals that it's for Ram trucks.

Last edited by Meka; 05 February 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05 February 2013, 03:19 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Technically speaking, they are - Jeep and Dodge... err, I guess it's Ram for the trucks now... are both Chrysler brands.
Good point, I wonder if it was the same advertising company that did both commercials.
Old 05 February 2013, 03:22 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Apparently girls are incapable of playing football (or doing any of that other stuff?), on any team.
Ironic given that one of Roger Godell's guests at that very Super Bowl was Sam Gordon, 9-year-old Running Back and Wheaties Box honouree.
Old 05 February 2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Except for the fact that they've appeared in Budweiser commercials for years, to the point where the company would sue any other beer manufacturer that tried to use them in a commercial, absolutely nothing.

If the Budweiser commercial had said, "Horses did not choose to work for humans. Horses work long hours without complaint. Horses sleep in unheated barns, suffer quietly, are one catastrophic injury from being put to death, and still do their jobs - Buy Budweiser!" then your comparison would be valid. The Clydesdale commercial made it plain from the beginning that it was for beer, and never tried to be a "Support horses!" ad.
Your original complaint was that Dodge is exploiting feelings for selling cars. You are moving the goalposts now by saying that they didn't use the company logo during the ad (and btw, the Dodge ad did show the Ram several times during the ad) The way you worded your original complaint was that you didn't like the car ads because they were using emotions to sell you cars, at the same time you said you liked the Clydesdale ad. However, the Clydesdale ad uses the same marketing schtick that the Ram ad uses. Both ads induce an emotion into you in the hopes that you will identify that emotion with the product. Just because Budweiser has been using the schtick for years doesn't mean that they aren't using that schtick now

I agree with you that Dodge underplaying their brand during most of the ad is a good reason not to like the ad.
Old 05 February 2013, 03:48 PM

Then my original post was poorly thought out. Had the truck ad been structured similarly to the beer ad, making it plain from the beginning what it was selling and with a message along the lines of, "Dear farmers, we at Dodge (Ram?) Trucks are proud to be your truck of choice..." then I may well have been more receptive to it* (or at least not disliked it nearly as much). As structured, the ad barely mentions its intended product until the very end, and counts on the warm feelings it (hopefully) developed for an at best tangentially related subject to carry over when the company logo finally flashes on the screen. I personally thought that approach backfired, as did most of the people I watched the Super Bowl with.

*Though I am at present in the market for neither a truck nor beer.

Truce?

Last edited by Meka; 05 February 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05 February 2013, 04:04 PM

See, I thought the worst commercial that I saw during the SB was the one with the lucky chair. It was bizarre, and we were all so distracted with "who's that guy?" that even though we saw it at least two times, we never figured out what the ad was for.

No one believed me that it was Stevie Wonder. I had to google it.
Old 05 February 2013, 04:10 PM

One thing to note is that the Jeep ad also included the USO at the end. If the USO didn't pay for the ad, then that means the commerical could help the USO as well as sell more Jeeps.
Old 05 February 2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
I kept on thinking it might be the guy who played the Lord of Song in the Once More With Feeling Buffy episode
Old 05 February 2013, 05:19 PM

I only picked out that it was Stevie Wonder because of the use of the song "Superstitious". Then it clicked.
Old 05 February 2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
See, I thought the worst commercial that I saw during the SB was the one with the lucky chair. It was bizarre, and we were all so distracted with "who's that guy?" that even though we saw it at least two times, we never figured out what the ad was for.

It took me two viewings to figure out it wasn't their chair to begin with, that they were trying to put a curse on an opposing fan's chair (I think ). And having seen it twice, I still couldn't tell you what they were selling off the top of my head.
Old 05 February 2013, 07:31 PM

Bud Light. Apparently the going rate for a good voodoo curse is a six pack.
Old 05 February 2013, 07:59 PM

Canada

I'd gladly tank every single one of my favourite teams' seasons* and pay a six-pack of Bud Light just to have Zoe Saldana sit in my recliner.

*Not that a single one of them are any good as it is.
Old 05 February 2013, 09:59 PM

Ya see everyone is up in arms about the first GoDaddy commercial where I was more bugged by the second, mainly because it actually was about 80% clever, well written, and actually fit in with GoDaddy's (which is as much a glorified URL squatting service as a proper webhost) business model... and then fell completely apart in the last 10 seconds or so.