snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 25 January 2013, 06:04 PM

I hate doing report cards. I hate them. Parents, are they worth all the hassle? Would you rather just talk to the teacher for 20 minutes and have her show you samples of the child's work and then give you the marks, not these manufactured comments? Because I'd really rather do that. Or even just send home the child's work with the report card, for those parents who can't meet.
The best part is that the report card has a box for "I would like to discuss this report card. Please contact me," but I can only make calls to parents during school hours now due to the Bill 115 fooferah. Who is going to find it convenient to talk at 2:35 in the afternoon, 40 minutes before school ends?
Old 25 January 2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriah View Post
I expect those minions may have been either lied to or brainwashed somehow. Or they're very, very stupid
Isn't that a pre-requisite of being a minion?

"Wanted: Eager idiot or easily fooled person for various nefarious tasks. Pay is poor but benefits are really, really great*. Dial 1-666-the-evil for more details.

*Our definition of great may not agree with yours."
Old 25 January 2013, 07:07 PM

The cafeteria downstairs is out of Diet Mountain Dew. Now how am I supposed to get my mid-afternoon caffeine boost?
Old 25 January 2013, 07:19 PM

I am meeting my friend's six-month old today, getting a 90 minutes massage tomorrow, and going to a shower Sunday.
I realize this doesn't exactly sound rigorous but my weekends are usually decompressing from the week.
And I doubt the massage will be enjoyable, since it is at the behest of my athletic therapist, who is having trouble doing anything because my muscles are so tight.
"Go get a massage. An hour and a half if you can. And tell them to work on everything."
And yes, this is an RMT, not a fluff and puff massage.
Old 26 January 2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDBlackwolf View Post
With sorting by artist, sub-sorting by album, do you mean, you sect an artist, and then see the songs sorted by album? That is how my iTunes works. It first sorts by artist and then by album of that artist.
That is what I mean, but I'm trying to make it so that soundtracks and compilation albums aren't separated by artist, but that requires I sort by album and I'm better at remembering which artist the song I want to listen to is by, then which album it's on. ETA: Unless it's a song from a soundtrack.

As for Windows 8, I also heard something like it's only good for mobile devices.

My new FWP: The meta-data for my Vivaldi and Tchaikovsky collector's album sets are all wrong and I had to manually enter the info for many of the songs. And what isn't technically wrong is inconsistent. The L'estro Armonico concertos are split between two discs. The first numbers them using the '#' and the second uses "No.".
Old 27 January 2013, 02:05 AM

Tonight I finally went to see The Hobbit. I was hoping to see it in that fancy 3D high frame rate projection if for nothing else to see what it was like. I went to the theater closest to my house only to be told they were sold out. I knew another theater not too much farther away was showing it 45 minutes later, so I decided to just see it there instead. I assumed they'd have it in 3D HFS as well, because I know they have the capability. But after I bought my ticket I thought it didn't seem quite expensive enough. As it turns out they are no longer shoeing it in 3D, just standard projection. Now I kind of feel like I'm missing out by not seeing it in 3D, especially after one friend raved about how how beautiful the effects were, but I don't really want to see it twice, but I don't want to go home because I already came out here and already bought a ticket.
Old 28 January 2013, 03:41 PM

Icon204

The ice maker portion of the ice and water machine nearest me at work is broken. I have to walk a whole 200 feet to the other break room on this floor to get ice. Oh the humanity.
Old 31 January 2013, 03:35 AM

My cookie won't fit in my glass of milk.
Old 31 January 2013, 01:16 PM

There's a very peaceful yet loud protest (about 50-60 people) concerning charter schools (I think) outside the office today. I have to turn up the volume on my headphones.

Side note: I have no idea why there is an education/charter school protest going on in the financial district here in NYC. Off to the internets!
Old 31 January 2013, 02:37 PM

My head hurts just a little bit and my stomach hurts just a little bit and noone is feeling sorry for me.
Old 31 January 2013, 08:32 PM

Perhaps not strictly a first-world problem, but I spent half the day walking around with my fly open. (And no, the problem isn't that nobody noticed - which they didn't - or at least if they did, they didn't say anything about it.)
Old 31 January 2013, 11:09 PM

Computer

Because the University switched to a New! Improved! email system (run by Microsoft), and MacMail was not downloading correctly, I broke down today and switched to Outlook.

I transferred all my accounts and discovered that one of my gmail accounts was downloading 18000+ emails that were on the server (it's the one I sign up on websites with). As it was downloading, I picked "Select All" and then told it to delete. Or so I thought. Somehow this got translated into "Open ALL THE THINGS!". Thank the Goddess for force quit.

I then went into gmail itself and deleted all the things.

Last edited by TurquoiseGirl; 31 January 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01 February 2013, 07:35 PM

My hair is currently in a pixie cut, and I've discovered that it looks very cute if I wear a headband. A little early-60s retro, even. It has to be the elastic full-circle head-wrap kind of headband instead of the horseshoe-shaped kind that can hold its shape because otherwise my glasses get uncomfortable*, but that's fine. But on very cold days like today I have to wear my hat when I take the dog out, so I can't wear the headband because it just gets all messed up! (I know I could just redo it when I come back in, but redoing it every few hours hardly seems worth it.) /whine

* Another FWP: My lasik deteriorated and now I'm back in glasses again.
Old 01 February 2013, 08:12 PM

I have two today. Bah! One of them has been a problem for a while.

The more recent is that I have been watching Zero Punctuation reviews, and the video popup that they use for the pre-review adverts for some reason mutes the review itself. One time, it didn't load at first, and popped up to interrupt half way through the review, and when it let me get back to what I had been watching, it had turned the sound off. The mute button on the Escapist video player isn't very obvious so the first time there was no sound, I checked the mute and volume on my own machine and assumed for a while that the review was meant to have no sound to make a point of some kind. So I missed the first thirty seconds and had to replay it! And I still kept forgetting to un-mute before the review started, because you have to do it every time you watch one!

The other problem, which has been going on for longer, concerns the comments threads on BBC news stories. Since I decided not to post here from work (since my current job), I have had to find some other way to occupy my time, and the BBC doesn't manage to find news fast enough so I sometimes read the comments. This has the advantage that I'm never tempted to join in, and because it's the BBC about half the people do have some sense so it isn't too annoying.

But it's impossible to read the threads properly because of the way it's set up. The comments are paginated, with most recent first. But the first page is also labelled "1". Often, enough people are commenting that by the time you click to page "2", the page "1" that you started on is now half way down page "2", or even earlier, so you find yourself reading the same things again, or reading replies that don't make sense. So you think "it would make more sense to start at the beginning, with the first comment, and read them in order". So you click the last page (that is, first page) which might be page "7", say. You finish that and move to page "6". But because the pages are numbered backwards as well as displayed with most recent first - the most recent page is "1" - by the time you click to page "6" there might be nine pages, and so you actually want to be reading page "8" if you're trying to follow the discussion in order. Again, suddenly people are referring to things you've not read.

Also, one reason it isn't too annoying is that all the trollish comments get moderated away. But you can still see the replies to them, so you're left wondering exactly what "@124" said...

I've still not worked out how you're intended to read the comments in any kind of order. Perhaps you aren't - perhaps they do it deliberately to stop people trying to take any discussions seriously. Probably just as well, but it does make the thread very repetitive since it's difficult to find out what's already been said even if you want to. Bah! It's almost like I should do some work or something.
Old 02 February 2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Sabre View Post
That is what I mean, but I'm trying to make it so that soundtracks and compilation albums aren't separated by artist, but that requires I sort by album and I'm better at remembering which artist the song I want to listen to is by, then which album it's on. ETA: Unless it's a song from a soundtrack.
I wonder if you could search in the search bar for the artist, and then sort by clicking on the top of the album column. Or whatever sub search you want to do.
Old 03 February 2013, 01:06 AM

I let my iPhone's battery get so low it wouldn't turn on. I normally use it to listen to music while doing yard work, but since I had to charge it I instead had to dig up my old Walkman, find some AA batteries for it, and listen to FM radio. There was static!
Old 03 February 2013, 01:07 AM

You mean Steely Dan lied to me?
Old 03 February 2013, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
My hair is currently in a pixie cut, and I've discovered that it looks very cute if I wear a headband. A little early-60s retro, even. It has to be the elastic full-circle head-wrap kind of headband instead of the horseshoe-shaped kind that can hold its shape because otherwise my glasses get uncomfortable*, but that's fine. But on very cold days like today I have to wear my hat when I take the dog out, so I can't wear the headband because it just gets all messed up! (I know I could just redo it when I come back in, but redoing it every few hours hardly seems worth it.) /whine

* Another FWP: My lasik deteriorated and now I'm back in glasses again.
Oddly, I don't like those kinds of hairbands, because they never stay on my head. I prefer the horseshoe shaped ones. I have a whole pack of the ones you like. Shall I throw them out the window at you, next time we drive by?

I'm sorry to hear about the lasik failing you.
Old 03 February 2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeze042 View Post
I wonder if you could search in the search bar for the artist, and then sort by clicking on the top of the album column. Or whatever sub search you want to do.
I suppose, but I'd have to do it several times, which is another FWP.
Old 03 February 2013, 01:51 PM

I forgot to ask DD to pick up my script when she went shopping yesterday, and now I'm out, so I have to go to the store today. In the snow. If I take my car, I'll have to clean it off, and I've never driven DD's tiny little car in the snow.
Closed Thread