snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 22 January 2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Those ones were also giving me an "invalid target" message, and most of them still are. Since they're indicated specially on the map, and clearly work in the professions you're meant to find I assumed it would be them to begin with, but it didn't work so I then assumed they were the ones you weren't meant to scan. It still doesn't work most of the time.

I managed to scan the two farmers after posting that (one of them twice....? Why make me find three farmers if you're allowed to use the same ones again?) and completed that task, but the others still tell me they're invalid targets.
It's been a bit but there might be things that need to be done before you can scan them again. It took me awhile to figure it out (and never finished that mission). Sometimes after doing another mission outside the homestead, I could scan them again. I also think that you can not scan them when doing a mission for them.
Old 22 January 2013, 07:19 PM

It probably is that, because the first couple let me scan them just after finishing sequence 7. But like I said, why switch the flipping mission on if you're not allowed to do it yet? There's no indication that you're trying to do it too early - just that it doesn't work (and therefore you could reasonably assume that you were trying to do the wrong thing).

In the case of the chests, it didn't work because I was trying to do the wrong thing (moving the trigger in time with what I thought was the progress bar, and assuming that because the bar was progressing, I was therefore making progress). I've never known a game to require hammering the right trigger as fast as possible before. But because the game also occasionally gave you keys which open the chests without needing to pick the locks, in that case I assumed I was trying to open them before I was allowed to. Especially as I found the first one while I was still playing my father.

Did he hand over to my mum the almanac pages I'd already collected, as a present for me, I wonder?
Old 22 January 2013, 09:06 PM

Finally got around to The Walking Dead from Telltale games. I'm playing them along with DW, but I'm an episode ahead so I can't discuss this with her yet. Spoilers ahead, but I have whited out the key stuff. I've just finished episode 4.

At the end of episode 4, why does Lee suddenly become stupid? For that matter, what are the odds of running across a zombie that has learned from trap door spiders?

I was so glad that I got to tell Kenny to go NFBSK himself. I've really wanted to do that for quite a while - since episode 1, I think. When he said he had been keeping score and I was out for myself, I wish there had been an option to punch him out.

I had two drivers of my decisions - first, to never kill the living, and second, to be as honest as possible. By this point in the game, I think the real me would have given up on the first of those.
Old 23 January 2013, 01:30 AM

Playstation Plus had Darksiders for free download. I like the story line so far but not thrilled with the button mashing gameplay that reminds me of THQ's Space Marine and Gods of War.
Old 23 January 2013, 01:34 AM

Getting back in Halo multiplayer after a very long hiatus. Still steer clear of screaming prepubescent spawn in the Slayer, but enjoying Regicide and especially the SWAT game variants.
Old 24 January 2013, 05:35 PM

Finished with The Walking Dead, starting on The Cave.

While I really enjoyed TWD, there are still a few annoyances. I listed the big ones above, but there is one more that bugs me. By chapter 4, it is a fairly decent amount of time since the dead started walking - I think months. At one point you have to dig up a pets grave. Everyone (people who have been dealing with a zombie apocalypse, mind you) starts to complain about the smell. One person even throws up over it. Now, this dog had to have died before everything went down - once the big deaths started happening, burying a dog would probably not be high on the list. Later on, the same people find a couple that had killed themselves after it started. No smell complaints, no throwing up, even though it would have to be worse than the dog was. Not a big deal, but it annoys me.

The cave looks pretty good so far. At this point, every puzzle has made sense. For instance (this is in the demo) there is a creature that attacks you if you get near it. To take care of it, you have to find some food to lure it to a place where you can use a trap to get it. To get the food, you need to replace a fuse to power a vending machine. To replace a fuse, you need to find a fuse! So much better than constructing a vacuum pump out of an accordion to fling a seagull at someone.
Old 24 January 2013, 06:21 PM

If I'd gone into the video game industry, one of the things I'd do would be to make a game that parodied the ridiculous, over complicated problem solving methods so commonly found in puzzle games.
Old 24 January 2013, 07:49 PM

Taking a break with ME series and trying out a Game of Thrones. SO far, I like it.
Old 26 January 2013, 05:58 PM

SimCity beta...
Old 26 January 2013, 06:23 PM

Beat Mass Effect 2- I skipped a bunch of the minor side quests (pretty much all the ones that are found by scanning planets) since maxing out my character's level is easy, I didn't need the extra money, and none of them affect Mass Effect 3.

On to Mass Effect 3.
Old 26 January 2013, 08:15 PM

I'm reading a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play preparatory to diving back in. Hopefully this will refresh my memory on the interface and mechanics. I think I'll start the Game of Thrones mod with a scenario that has actual book stuff (as opposed to the backstory). The Clash of Kings scenario apparently has plot from all five books in fact (since I've seen mention of book 5 JC activity in the Stormlands).

With the CK2 merchant republic DLC out, I really hope they get around to including the Free Cities at some point. I would love to take charge of Braavos: Iron Bankers and Faceless Men galore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Speaking of which, does anyone know of any similar games? I've tried searching for recommendations, but haven't found much that I actually like.
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes just got ported over iOS and I really like it. The story is kind of forgettable but the twist on the match-3 mechanics is so interesting it doesn't matter. All of the battles are in fact beatable even that vicious Carlyle one that I'd thought I'd never be able to win.

I keep hoping that Defender's Quest will get ported over. That one's more of a tower defense with RPG aspects. I actually grew to like the story, corny though it is. I got a chuckle when the barbarian hero said that he'd given his buttcheeks names.
Old 27 January 2013, 03:28 AM
aj1534

playing some call of duty: black ops
Old 29 January 2013, 11:58 AM

My brother gifted me "I am Alive" and "Borderlands 2" on Steam for my birthday, a coworker did so with "Assassin's Creed Brotherhood". So I have my "work" cut out for me

When I am not playing SWTOR, I play one of the gifts, yesterday I played "I am Alive" for 2 hours before motion sickness kicked in. I really like it, even though it only got mixed reviews.
When I am through with it, I will start Assassin's Creed II, I still haven't finished that and want to do so, before I start Brotherhood.
And I will peek into Borderlands 2 for a bit, since I do not have enough self-discipline enough to only play one game at a time
Old 29 January 2013, 03:02 PM

I'm going back a bit and playing Far Cry 2. It is a sandbox shooter/rpg set in a fictional African country in the midst of a civil war. For me, it is actually harder than it would seem due to my history of games. Pretty much very other sandbox shooter/rpg I've played (Fallout series, Skyrim, Borderlands series, etc) has some sort of enemy radar display that shows you where enemies are. Call of Duty multiplayer games have maps that can show enemies.

But Far Cry 2 seems to be designed to be more realistic and has no such radar. Which leaves me at a disadvantage as I've gotten dependant on it. It also has realistic landscape, which can give you away. If you get close to a plant, it moves and rustles, giving you away. The one thing on your side is that enemies talk a great deal, helping you figure out where they are.
Old 29 January 2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
But Far Cry 2 seems to be designed to be more realistic and has no such radar.
Is that really more realistic, or just a way to make the game harder? I've always assumed that the indicator in Skyrim is an attempt to make up for the lack of physical cues that a game can't simulate. We use sound quite a bit to determine where things are, and unless you have a good sound system that has been well balanced, it would be tough to determine where that dragon is based on sound alone. So the little dot on the compass just seems to me to be the representation of where the sound is coming from.
Old 29 January 2013, 03:36 PM

Based on reading up on the first Far Cry and its offshoots I was guessing more realistic. The first Far Cry games had mutagenic chemicals, geneticlly altered enemies, and superhuman abilities for the player. Far Cry 2 has none of that, so it would seem such a detection system would be out of place. Also, navigation is done via a map and GPS, no onscreen markers or indicators and no onscreen compass.
Old 29 January 2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Is that really more realistic, or just a way to make the game harder? I've always assumed that the indicator in Skyrim is an attempt to make up for the lack of physical cues that a game can't simulate.
Yes, quite. I didn't even find the indicator that useful in Skyrim if an enemy surprised me. It's not unusual in that sort of game to find yourself being attacked at close range by something or someone that's standing right next to you (bitten, punched or whatever) and looking around frantically to work out where the thing actually is. I think in real life you'd have spotted it by then...
Old 04 February 2013, 03:50 PM

I finished Assassins' Creed 3 on Saturday. I generally enjoyed it as much as the previous games, but I was less enamored with the setting.

Now I am on to Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. I've only played about an hour, but so far I am completely engaged.
Old 04 February 2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
It probably is that, because the first couple let me scan them just after finishing sequence 7. But like I said, why switch the flipping mission on if you're not allowed to do it yet?
You must scan them doing three different activities each. This is only hinted at when you try to scan someone doing something you've already scanned and the game tells you "This activity has already been recorded." 'Invalid target' indicates that you have the right person but that they aren't doing a valid activity at that time.

When a homesteader first settles, they will have only one or two activities in their repertoire. You must complete each homesteader's personal extra missions to 'upgrade' them to all three activities.

They will usually but not always be at their own area when doing activities. I didn't get the third lumberer activity until I noticed him unloading firewood at the blacksmith, and the doctor was playing the bocce ball game.
Old 04 February 2013, 06:21 PM

Ah, that makes sense. A more informative and less misleading error message than "Invalid target" would have been nice, though. The target is valid. How about "Target is not carrying out a valid activity"? Or "You need to record an interesting activity"? I don't remember the mission description making that very clear in the first place.