snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 19 January 2013, 08:11 PM

Read This! FBI complies with FOIA request with blacked-out pages

The ACLU equest asked for two memos that outline how the FBI interprets the Supreme Court decision blocking law enforcement from using GPS to track a suspectís car without a warrant.

As the ACLU reported, the organization has just received a response ó almost all of it blacked out.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...214357663.html
Old 19 January 2013, 09:01 PM

It says right on it that it's attorney work product of the Department of Justice, which is what one would expect when asking how the FBI interprets a legal decision. The FBI would have asked their lawyers, who happen to be the DOJ, how the law should be interpreted. The advice they received would be privileged as attorney/client advice, and therefore not subject to release under FOIA. It's pretty disingenuous of the ACLU (of which I'm a fan, normally) to pretend otherwise.
Old 20 January 2013, 02:53 AM

My goodness - the comments section is a myriad of stupidity. Actually in all of the contents only 2 posts actually are bringing up the fact that legal interpretation would be covered by attorney client privilege - the kind of stuff that a FOI would deny. It takes a court order to compel such communication and I can't imagine a lawyer fighting tooth and nail to oppose such a ruling if it ever came up (which I doubt has happened) and they might even face contempt since they would refuse such an order.