snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Crime

Old 08 April 2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Not to mention getting away with it. Disappearing under the radar is very difficult to get away with without being declared dead.

Not famous at all, but a friend of mine disappeared for 11 years before revealing that he really was alive. Faked a drowning death by going out fishing in the Columbia on a nasty day and leaving the boat floating in the river. I attended his memorial service about a month after he disappeared and he was declared legally dead within that first year.
Old 08 April 2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Sword View Post
Not famous at all, but a friend of mine disappeared for 11 years before revealing that he really was alive. Faked a drowning death by going out fishing in the Columbia on a nasty day and leaving the boat floating in the river. I attended his memorial service about a month after he disappeared and he was declared legally dead within that first year.
Note my posing - he was declared legally dead. Of course your friend, didn't stay dissapeared as long as Hoffa would have. He's been gone for decades.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it is hard.
Old 14 January 2013, 10:55 PM

Jaded Detroit man says he knows where Hoffa is

A man alleged to be a key player in the decades-old disappearance of James Riddle Hoffa says he knows where the vanished Teamsters union leader is buried.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/...2851358189181/
Old 14 January 2013, 11:00 PM

Icon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Though admittedly not very well known before he allegedly murdered his children's nanny and disappeared, he certainly has been since.
But Lord Lucan isn't a documented example of someone who chose to "drop under the radar," as there's no evidence that he disappeared voluntarily, or that he was alive after his disappearance.
Old 17 January 2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Really? Can you identify a single person in the last 50-60 years with a stature comparable to Jimmy Hoffa's who voluntarily "disappeared" so completely that for thirty-five years the general public had no clue whether he was even alive or not?
The fact that I can't identify one just proves whoever it was did a great job!!
Old 13 April 2013, 10:20 PM
Chilidog

I always wondered why they would drag him from Detroit all the way to Giants Stadium?
Old 17 June 2013, 09:44 PM

Default They're digging for Hoffa.... again.

Quote:
The FBI -- working on information from an aging reputed mobster -- began digging in the waist-high grass of a Detroit-area field in yet another search for the remains of former Teamsters boss Jimmy Hoffa, according to a law enforcement source with direct knowledge of the investigation.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/17/us/mic...rch/index.html
Old 17 June 2013, 10:58 PM

They don't give up easy, do they?!

OY
Old 21 June 2013, 07:38 PM

Jaded There Was Never Any Reason to Think Jimmy Hoffa Was Buried Under Giants Stadium

Lots of people have claimed to know Hoffa’s whereabouts since the former Teamsters president went missing in 1975, and they’ve placed his bones in various places: the Everglades, a Michigan tire-shredding plant, under the helipad of a hotel in Wilmington Island, Ga., and, most memorably, under the end zone at Giants Stadium in New Jersey.

This ridiculous story first hit the headlines in 1989, when a crook named Donald “Tony the Greek” Frankos told Playboy that he had been part of the squad sent to murder Hoffa.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/201...mmy_hoffa.html
Old 03 August 2013, 11:59 AM

I think the Giant Stadium story was around before 1989. I grew up a half hour from the stadium, and I remember joking with friends about him being buried there when I was in high school. (I graduated in 1990; I turned 17 in April 1989. In theory, we could have been joking about it late my junior year or any time during my senior year, but I think it was earlier than that.)
Old 14 August 2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Lots of people have claimed to know Hoffa’s whereabouts since the former Teamsters president went missing in 1975, and they’ve placed his bones in various places: the Everglades, a Michigan tire-shredding plant, under the helipad of a hotel in Wilmington Island, Ga., and, most memorably, under the end zone at Giants Stadium in New Jersey.
"He's in an oil drum in New Jersey!"--George Carlin

But wouldn't Jim Morrison be opening that concert?