snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 15 January 2013, 02:30 PM

#5 is bats. No, wait: worldwide and US are probably different. I would guess that worldwide the answer is dogs.
Old 15 January 2013, 02:42 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The American writers Thomas Bulfinch and Edith Hamilton are best known for their definitive works on what subject?

Mythology.
Quote:
2. "The Jean Genie" was, appropriately enough given its title, the first single off of what 1973 David Bowie album?
Space Oddity
Quote:
3. What western U.S. state can claim to border seven other U.S. states?
Idaho
Quote:
4. Which American sports team added the word "leg" to its official name during the McCarthy-era 1950s?
Cincinnati Reds
Quote:
5. About 97% of human rabies deaths worldwide were cases transmitted from what animal?
opossums
Quote:
6. What modern country was, about 2200 years ago, the center of one of the world's largest powers, the Maurya Empire?
Mauritania
Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these famous folks? Prince Albert, Tsar Alexander III, King Fahd, Flaubert, Vasco da Gama, Gandhi, Ed Koch, Huey Long, George Washington, Walt Whitman.
They all had bad teeth/ wore dentures.

Seaboe
Old 22 January 2013, 07:26 AM

Default Last Week's Answers

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. The American writers Thomas Bulfinch and Edith Hamilton are best known for their definitive works on what subject? Both wrote still-widely-read collections of Greek myths.

2. "The Jean Genie" was, appropriately enough given its title, the first single off of what 1973 David Bowie album? Possibly a coincidence, but "The Jean Genie" is found on Aladdin Sane.

3. What western U.S. state can claim to border seven other U.S. states? I guess they can all CLAIM to, but the only one who wouldn't be lying is Colorado--and only then if you count the point where it touches Arizona. I am totally counting that single point.

4. Which American sports team added the word "leg" to its official name during the McCarthy-era 1950s? The Cincinnati Reds were briefly the Cincinnati Redlegs, so only their legs were filthy Communists.

5. About 97% of human rabies deaths worldwide were cases transmitted from what animal? Dogs--and mostly in Asia and Africa, where there aren't widespread vaccination programs for house pets.

6. What modern country was, about 2200 years ago, the center of one of the world's largest powers, the Maurya Empire? The Mauryans covered almost all of what is today India.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these famous folks? Prince Albert, Tsar Alexander III, King Fahd, Flaubert, Vasco da Gama, Gandhi, Ed Koch, Huey Long, George Washington, Walt Whitman. All have bridges named after them. (Well, everyone still calls one of them the Queensboro Bridge, but officially it's the Ed Koch Bridge. How'm I doing?)
Old 22 January 2013, 07:28 AM

Default This Week's Questions

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

It's a new dawn of Tuesday Trivia! We're kicking off a new ten-week challenge, so submit your answers to the address below and follow your progress on the new scoreboard, coming soon to http://ken-jennings.com/messageboards/viewforum.php?f=3 .

As of last week, Barry Ford and Jenny Miller were in the lead for the signed copy of BECAUSE I SAID SO! Final results should be up very soon at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...php?f=3&t=9373 . If you are NOT Barry Ford or Jenny Miller, copies are available at fine booksellers everywhere. More information here: http://books.simonandschuster.com/bu...ther-retailers . On with the show!

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Besides Saudi Arabia, Brunei, and the United Arab Emirates, there is still a fourth country where women can't vote in elections--and it's not in Asia. What is it?

2. Filmmaker Warren Miller has made over 100 documentaries about athletes in what sport?

3. What liniment company was best known for its advertising jingles serialized on roadside signs, which it debuted in Minnesota in 1925?

4. The princess in Mario video games is named for what fruit?

5. What is by far the largest and most famous object in the Kuiper belt?

6. What are the seven syllables used in the "solfege" system, which dates back to the 11th century but is still common today?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series--and no others that I can find? The Dukes of Hazzard, Law & Order, The Love Boat, The Pioneers, Saturday Night Live, The Sonny and Cher Show, The Troubleshooters.
Old 22 January 2013, 07:32 AM

Default My guesses

Quote:
1. Besides Saudi Arabia, Brunei, and the United Arab Emirates, there is still a fourth country where women can't vote in elections--and it's not in Asia. What is it?
No idea

Quote:
2. Filmmaker Warren Miller has made over 100 documentaries about athletes in what sport?
Snow Skiing/Boarding

Quote:
3. What liniment company was best known for its advertising jingles serialized on roadside signs, which it debuted in Minnesota in 1925?
Burma Shave

Quote:
Peach

Quote:
Pluto

Quote:
6. What are the seven syllables used in the "solfege" system, which dates back to the 11th century but is still common today?
Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series--and no others that I can find? The Dukes of Hazzard, Law & Order, The Love Boat, The Pioneers, Saturday Night Live, The Sonny and Cher Show, The Troubleshooters.
I have never seen The Pioneers or The Trouble Shooters. Can't think of what the others have in common.

MacLloyd
Old 22 January 2013, 08:11 AM

Pluto
Old 22 January 2013, 08:33 AM

Whalephant

#7 - is it that they all had a cast member who went on to be in Congress? Fred Grandy did. So did Sonny Bono and Fred Thompson. Also the guy who played Uncle Jesse.
Old 22 January 2013, 08:54 AM

Crash

Quote:
I don't see how any answer can possibly be correct. The most famous is probably slightly smaller than the largest but even if it isn't, it definitely isn't "by far" the largest at all.
Old 22 January 2013, 09:27 AM

The State of Vatican City has rather restrictive rules about elections of it's Head of State. Additionally, it has (AFAIK) no female citicens.

Do-re-mi-fa-so-la-si.
Old 22 January 2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I don't see how any answer can possibly be correct. The most famous is probably slightly smaller than the largest but even if it isn't, it definitely isn't "by far" the largest at all.
If you are referencing Eris, it is usually classed as a "scattered disk object," not a Kuiper Belt Object. Pluto still still remains the largest KBO (although"by far" is probably not the best term).

Nick
Old 22 January 2013, 01:29 PM

Don Enrico, isn't the last one ti, a drink with jam and bread?
Old 22 January 2013, 01:35 PM

I've reproduced what I remember about those syllables. I might well be mistaken, or the original Italian syllables are reproduced differently in English and German.
Old 22 January 2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
it is usually classed as a "scattered disk object," not a Kuiper Belt Object
But the question doesn't ask about a KBO. It specifies "in the Kuiper Belt".
Old 22 January 2013, 01:53 PM

Burma-Shave

Peach

Halley's Comet?ETA: Should'a gone with my first guess!

Do (originally "Ut"), Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Ti, Do

Cast members who went on to be members of congress?
Old 22 January 2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
I've reproduced what I remember about those syllables. I might well be mistaken, or the original Italian syllables are reproduced differently in English and German.
It was originally si, but is now commonly ti (with si being used for the chromatic alteration of a raised sol).
Old 22 January 2013, 02:12 PM

Canada

For #7, it wasn't the actor who played Uncle Jesse (Denver Pyle) who went to congress, but the actor who played Cooter (Ben Jones).
Old 22 January 2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
But the question doesn't ask about a KBO. It specifies "in the Kuiper Belt".
It passes through the Kuiper belt sometimes, due to the eccentricity of it orbit. Whether that means "in the Kuiper belt" might be a semantic question, although it is currently (at 90+ AU) beyond what astronomers consider the edge of the Kuiper belt to be (about 50 AU).

Nick
Old 22 January 2013, 02:24 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS
4. Which American sports team added the word "leg" to its official name during the McCarthy-era 1950s? The Cincinnati Reds were briefly the Cincinnati Redlegs, so only their legs were filthy Communists.
As I understood it, they actually started out in the 19th century as the Red Legs and so the name was restored rather than created in the 50s. But I'm not a baseball expert, so I could be wrong.
Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Switzerland
Quote:
Skiing. My BIL's brother is in a brief scene in one of the movies.
Quote:
Burma Shave was a liniment company?
Quote:
Kiwi
Quote:
Well, nowadays, it's Pluto.
Quote:
do re mi fa so la ti (do'h)
Quote:
One of the stars later became a congressman. ETA: shows how easy this question is--I knew the answer and I haven't even seen 5 of the 7 shows.

Seaboe
Old 22 January 2013, 02:35 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Quote:
Kiwi
Princess Kiwi?

~Psihala
(*Was she from one of the lesser known titles?)
Old 22 January 2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
As I understood it, they actually started out in the 19th century as the Red Legs and so the name was restored rather than created in the 50s. But I'm not a baseball expert, so I could be wrong.
Red Stockings, I believe.
Closed Thread