snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 08 January 2013, 12:37 AM

For the last 10 years or more, I've had a very inexpensive unlimited data plan on my cellular service. When I got it, it was useful for checking email, and using some very rudimentary mobile sites on my phone-with-a-browser. About 4 years ago, I found out that most non-android smartphones could be used with it, provided you bought it yourself rather than using an upgrade from the provider. So I got a Windows mobile smartphone, and was quite happy.

A couple of years later, that phone broke, so I looked into getting a replacement. It turned out that some Android phones now worked with the plan. I bought an international unlocked version of one of those Android phones. It was a bit limited, but generally a good phone. I rooted it and upgraded the Android version as well. Then, my provider blocked my phone from using the cheap data plan I have, and gives me a message to upgrade my data plan if I try to connect using that phone. (My old phone will still connect--they block models of phones).

There are still many many phones that will work on the plan (there's a wiki for all of us on the grandfathered plan, as well as a discussion board on Howard Forums). There's also a new upgrade phone that is reported to be working, and is an awesome deal if I upgrade. I'm out of contract now though, so it would be a new 2-year commitment.

But, of course, the provider could block all of those phones tomorrow if they want to. So there's a lot of uncertainty there. I've looked at other options, and I could go to Virgin Mobile and pay a tiny bit less per month than I'm paying now, and get unlimited data as I have now. But I've heard mixed things about VM, and I have been very happy with my current service.

So my FWP is that I don't want to keep having to buy new phones to make sure one will work with my ridiculously inexpensive unlimited data plan, but I don't want to give up a good thing for a potentially inferior thing if I don't have to.
Old 08 January 2013, 02:11 AM

The McDonald's I visited yesterday displayed that it "proudly" served Coke Zero. My Coke Zero proudly turned out to be root beer. Of the things I have tried, I "hate" only about a half-dozen foods - root beer is one of them.
Old 08 January 2013, 02:11 AM

Yahoo Mail won't let me compose emails or reply to anyone tonight. (This may not be exclusively a first-world problem.)
Old 09 January 2013, 02:24 PM

Heavt breathing

I stayed up way too late watching the Food Network last night, ate a tuna sub before bed, and had to wake up early to get ready for the bus (which won't pick me up in the alley which means that I have to walk to the sub shop on the corner where I got said tuna sub yesterday afternoon).

Then I decided that tea with milk and sugar sounded like a great idea for breakfast (spoiler alert - it wasn't), and watched last night's episode of Conan that I had DVRed because I had originally planned to go to bed at a much more decent time, which made it feel like night time rather than day time.

Then the bus was late and crowded and I had to sit next to an overily-chatty creepy guy.

Now there's a large group of nursing students in the usually quiet common area near my class, and I have no motivation to get any work done which is why I come early to school in the first place.

And my stomach is all GRR! thanks to the late-night tuna sub and early morning tea.
Old 09 January 2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
The McDonald's I visited yesterday displayed that it "proudly" served Coke Zero.
At the Olympics, various soft drink brands and beer manufacturers (I won't say brewers in this context) had exclusive licenses to sell their own products. The beer they sold was a lager - you could get an ale / bitter if you wanted it, but you weren't allowed to know what it was; it was on a pump with a generic plain white sign saying "Ale".

Anyway, these manufacturers went one better than that. They had signs up saying that they were "proud to serve only" their brand...
Old 10 January 2013, 03:17 AM

Sneeze

I just came home from Hawaii, and it think I might be coming down with airplane crud. Either that, or my poor sinuses are having trouble adjusting to Edmonton's dry air.
Old 10 January 2013, 06:29 PM

Moose

I would vote for the dry air. I know that whenever I return from an island vacation I spend a few days suffering sinus trouble.
Old 10 January 2013, 11:03 PM

Icon401

The other day I delayed someone's trip by three whole seconds!!
I had just finished crossing the street (with the light of course), plus there was oncoming traffic. All of this meant that the woman at the corner did not turn right on the red light, which meant that that guy behind her--the one honking his horn--had to wait until the light turned green! So between me and the oncoming traffic, some guy was late for an important date! I feel so ashamed.
Old 11 January 2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLite View Post
I would vote for the dry air. I know that whenever I return from an island vacation I spend a few days suffering sinus trouble.
Looks like you're right. So the Neocitran I had last night, while it helped me sleep, probably just made the problem worse. Oh, well.
Old 12 January 2013, 03:49 PM

We are going slightly out of town to the in-laws the weekend, my Kindle is dead and I can't find the charger. I might have to bring a book for the car ride. I hope I remember how to operate one! I have one I bought a couple years ago at a conference and never got around to reading. It's so floppy and lacks buttons!
Old 12 January 2013, 07:21 PM

Today the car wash was closed on the way back from the post office.
Old 12 January 2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrosie View Post
I hope I remember how to operate one! I have one I bought a couple years ago at a conference and never got around to reading. It's so floppy and lacks buttons!
You'll have to engineer some kind of device to mark your page when you put the book down as well.
Old 12 January 2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
You'll have to engineer some kind of device to mark your page when you put the book down as well.
You mean it doesn't automatically save my place?
Old 15 January 2013, 04:17 AM

I want to read my Stephen King book but I know if I do I'll be up until midnight & that's not cool.
Old 15 January 2013, 04:21 AM

Only another 40 minutes, what's the harm?

Gibbie
Old 16 January 2013, 12:42 AM

I've been trying to schedule a fundraiser for weeks now, which involves chasing down part-time university employees to gather the appropriate tax forms to establish our nonprofit status. We've finally got all our ducks in a row, and from here on out should be the fun part--getting people to come to a restaurant on a designated day, after which the restaurant will cut us a check for 20% of the sales we bring in. I did one of these in high school and raised a good amount of money for our colorguard squad, and everyone seemed to enjoy it--who wants to buy magazines you'll never read or overpriced wrapping paper when you can just eat out somewhere you'd occasionally go anyway?

Well, I've started dispatching the troops to promote the event, and it turns out it's on the first day of another school organization's weeklong poverty simulation. They're enlisting people to try living on food stamps for a week as an eye-openening exercise into how the other half lives or somesuch. The head of the organization emailed me to inform me of the conflict, and I sent back a half-joking email asking if they could grant their participants a dispensation to participate in our fundraiser; after all, we're raising money for victims of domestic violence, and there's probably some overlap there... She replied that they couldn't do that, because they're already hosting a speaker luncheon and a discussion dinner, both with food provided, and that's all the disruption of verisimilitude this one-week exercise can handle.

So yeah, my first-world problem is I'm afraid my charity won't be able to raise enough money because people will be doing this other charity thing that requires them to pretend to be poor. How dumb is that?
Old 16 January 2013, 12:53 AM

Why does every bag of Skittles seem to contain a ton of my least favorite flavors and maybe 2 or 3 of my favorite flavors?
Old 16 January 2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Why does every bag of Skittles seem to contain a ton of my least favorite flavors and maybe 2 or 3 of my favorite flavors?
I'm that way with Starburst.
Old 16 January 2013, 01:27 AM

Thanks, folks... you just gave me a new problem.

I really want Skittles but the vending machine is downstairs and I'm just not feeling like putting shoes on the child, shoes on myself, digging through my purse to find some change, and then walking.
Old 17 January 2013, 03:32 AM

PBS shows don't have commercial breaks. When am I supposed to get up to get a snack, or go to the bathroom?

Also, I want my tax paperwork, darn it!
Closed Thread