snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 11 December 2012, 06:25 AM

Default Ken Jennings Trivia Challenge

Time for a new thread.

Last Week's Answers -

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Which U.S. state was almost called "New Wales" but was instead named not for its founder, but for his military hero father of the same name? Pennsylvania was named not for William Penn, but, confusingly, for another man of the same name.

2. Albert Einstein called what man, born at Pisa in 1564, the "father of modern science"? That was Pisa's favorite son, Galileo Galilei Figaro Magnifico, Esq.

3. What first name was shared by one of Bill Cosby's friends on Fat Albert and one of his kids on The Cosby Show? There was a Rudolph in the Cosby Kids and a Rudith in the Cosby kids, but both went by "Rudy."

4. What two careers for children ARE approved in the country classic, "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys"? Make 'em be doctors and lawyers and such.

5. Who was the only Queen of England or Great Britain ever to be succeeded on the throne by her own child? Queen Victoria was succeeded by her son Edward VII. My thanks to Queen Elizabeth II for not dying this week, because that would have REALLY screwed up this question.

6. What literary character returned home to have thirteen children, including Elanor, Pippin, Rose, Hamfast, and Merry? Those are five of the thirteen children of the extraordinarily fertile Sam Gamgee, in Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these movies? Hell's Angels, Mary Poppins, Nanook of the North, Nosferatu, Plan 9 from Outer Space, The Prince and the Showgirl, Psycho, Salt of the Earth. The making of each was depicted in another movie. Respectively, the behind-the-scenes movies are: The Aviator, Saving Mr. Banks, Kabloonak, Shadow of the Vampire, Ed Wood, My Week with Marilyn, Hitchcock, and One of the Hollywood Ten.
Old 11 December 2012, 06:28 AM

Default This Week's Questions

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

What is UP, my trivia friends? Only fourteen more shopping days until Christmas. (Or, you know, a different holiday name and number of days for your own EQUALLY VALID I'M SURE winter celebration.) When you are drawing a blank on holiday gift ideas this year, I hope you'll consider my book BECAUSE I SAID SO!, now in its second week on bookstore shelves.

But if you just want the free trivia, that's okay too. In fact, it's right here! You can see how everyone's doing on the quiz at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...php?f=3&t=9373 .

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What instrument does Mary Stuart Masterson's character play in the John Hughes film Some Kind of Wonderful?

2. What country's cabinet includes a Minister of Immigrant Absorption and a Minister of Information and Diaspora?

3. The lateral malleolus, the bottom end of the fibula, forms the familiar bump on what part of your body?

4. What athlete's body is buried in eastern Pennsylvania, but rests in soil brought in from Prague, Oklahoma and Stockholm, Sweden?

5. What does the letter 'H' stand for in "Preparation H"?

6. The world's two most populous metropolitan areas are only 700 miles apart. What are they?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these famous people? Gregg Allman, Patrick Duffy, James Ellroy, Kelsey Grammer, Paul Harvey, Jennifer Hudson, Michael Jordan, Little Richard, Dylan McDermott, Earl Warren.
Old 11 December 2012, 06:34 AM

Default My guesses

Quote:
1. What instrument does Mary Stuart Masterson's character play in the John Hughes film Some Kind of Wonderful?
No idea. I have never seen the movie.

Quote:
2. What country's cabinet includes a Minister of Immigrant Absorption and a Minister of Information and Diaspora?
Don't know, but if I had to guess I would say Israel.

Quote:
3. The lateral malleolus, the bottom end of the fibula, forms the familiar bump on what part of your body?
Since the fibula is part of the lower leg, I would have to say ankle.

Quote:
4. What athlete's body is buried in eastern Pennsylvania, but rests in soil brought in from Prague, Oklahoma and Stockholm, Sweden?
No idea - sports question

Quote:
Could this be as easy as hemorrhoids?

Quote:
6. The world's two most populous metropolitan areas are only 700 miles apart. What are they?
I thought the most populous area was Mexico City, but I don't think there is any other populous area that close, so, I don't know.

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these famous people? Gregg Allman, Patrick Duffy, James Ellroy, Kelsey Grammer, Paul Harvey, Jennifer Hudson, Michael Jordan, Little Richard, Dylan McDermott, Earl Warren.
Based on James Ellroy, Kelsey Grammer, Jennifer Hudson and Michael Jordan, I would guess that they all had one of their parents murdered. Don't know about the rest though.

MacLloyd
Old 11 December 2012, 06:41 AM

ankle

Jim Thorpe?

Hemorrhoid

[/QUOTE]
Old 11 December 2012, 07:05 AM

Judging especially from the last word, I would say Israel.

Guessing: New Delhi area in India and what is the capital of Bangladesh?
Old 11 December 2012, 07:18 AM

Drums One of only two that I'm positive about.

Israel

ankle This is the other one.

Jim Thorpe

hemorrhoid

Don't know, but I'm sure they're in Asia.

I think MacLloyd has it.
Old 11 December 2012, 07:40 AM

Tokyo and Seoul?
Mumbai and Karachi?
Old 11 December 2012, 01:27 PM

Drums.

Israel.

Ankle.

Jim Thorpe.

Hemorrhoid.

Seoul and Tokyo?

No clue.

ETA: I think MacLloyd is right about 7.
Old 11 December 2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
Never seen it, but my WAG: Piano
Quote:
I was thinking of Oceania from 1984
Quote:
Since i'm sitting here with a broken one, I know it's the outside of the ankle
Quote:
Jim Thorpe
Quote:
I have always assumed it was for Hemmoroid (sp?)
Quote:
My geography is very weak, but I'M guessing they are Mumbai and New Delhi
Quote:
I have no idea, but knowing about Mr. Jordan and Ms. Hudson, MacLloyd might just have it.

Ow! I feel stupid

Edited to fix color tags
Old 11 December 2012, 03:58 PM

1. Drums
2. Israel
3. Ankle
4. eh?
5. Hemorrhoid
6. Peking and New Delhi??
Old 11 December 2012, 04:05 PM

I think MacLloy'ds right about #7. Dylan McDermott's mother was murdered.
Old 14 December 2012, 02:36 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post

the Kazoo
Quote:
Whatever the name of the country is in 1984.
Quote:
Ankle bone
Quote:
Jim Thorpe
Quote:
Hemmoroid (which is spelled wrong, but you know what I mean.
Quote:
Hong Kong & Singapore
Quote:
They're all deaf. Some of them are also dead.

Seagboe
Old 18 December 2012, 08:33 AM

Default Last Week's Answers

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What instrument does Mary Stuart Masterson's character play in the John Hughes film Some Kind of Wonderful? "Watts" is a drummer--as you would have no reason whatsoever to know unless you were thirteen years old in 1987 like I was.

2. What country's cabinet includes a Minister of Immigrant Absorption and a Minister of Information and Diaspora? These are two of the thirty members of the Israeli cabinet.

3. The lateral malleolus, the bottom end of the fibula, forms the familiar bump on what part of your body? That's what makes that big bump on the outside of your ankle.

4. What athlete's body is buried in eastern Pennsylvania, but rests in soil brought in from Prague, Oklahoma and Stockholm, Sweden? Jim Thorpe, who was born in Oklahoma but achieved his greatest athletic glory at the Stockholm Olympics. (He's buried in Pennsylvania because his third wife, strapped for cash, stole his body from his own funeral and drove it up to a dying coal-mining town that had bought it for tourist revenue.)

5. What does the letter 'H' stand for in "Preparation H"? Hemorrhoids. If anybody remembers "Lazlo Toth," he was my source for this answer.

6. The world's two most populous metropolitan areas are only 700 miles apart. What are they? Tokyo and Seoul--but Mexico City is hot on Seoul's heels for second place.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these famous people? Gregg Allman, Patrick Duffy, James Ellroy, Kelsey Grammer, Paul Harvey, Jennifer Hudson, Michael Jordan, Little Richard, Dylan McDermott, Earl Warren. Each had a parent, um, murdered. So not a real cheery way to conclude our parentally-themed trivia week then. Sorry about that.
Old 18 December 2012, 08:34 AM

Default This Week's Questions

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

You know what, usually I write this intro days in advance, but today, through no one's fault but my own, I'm typing this in a blind panic with just minutes to spare. Tuesday Trivia, piping hot!

So quick like a little bunny--check out the scoreboard at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...php?f=3&t=9373 ! Then--no time to waste!--run the gauntlet of these tricky questions seven. Go go go!

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What nation is the only nuclear power in the Muslim world?

2. What literary character's name supposedly means "White Skin" in the made-up Mangani language?

3. What phase is the moon always in during a solar eclipse?

4. Trumpet player Ben Cauley was the only survivor of the 1967 Wisconsin plane crash that killed what R&B legend?

5. Every time the American flag changes to reflect a new number of states, the re-designed flag traditionally flies first over what National Monument?

6. What kind of social event first took place at Peet's Cafe in Beverly Hills in 1998, as the brainchild of Jewish Orthodox rabbi Yaacov Deyo?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? The Donna Reed Show, Everybody Loves Raymond, Gimme a Break, In Living Color, The King of Queens, Kojak, Little House on the Prairie, Oz, SeaQuest DSV.
Old 18 December 2012, 08:37 AM

Default My guesses

Quote:
Pakistan

Quote:
2. What literary character's name supposedly means "White Skin" in the made-up Mangani language?
Tarzan

Quote:
New

Quote:
4. Trumpet player Ben Cauley was the only survivor of the 1967 Wisconsin plane crash that killed what R&B legend?
Otis Redding

Quote:
5. Every time the American flag changes to reflect a new number of states, the re-designed flag traditionally flies first over what National Monument?
No idea, but I would guess The Washington Monument.

Quote:
6. What kind of social event first took place at Peet's Cafe in Beverly Hills in 1998, as the brainchild of Jewish Orthodox rabbi Yaacov Deyo?
no idea
Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? The Donna Reed Show, Everybody Loves Raymond, Gimme a Break, In Living Color, The King of Queens, Kojak, Little House on the Prairie, Oz, SeaQuest DSV.
Also no idea

MacLloyd
Old 18 December 2012, 08:38 AM

Pakistan.

It's a New Moon, but it results in Twilight.
Old 18 December 2012, 09:13 AM

Pakistan

Don't know

New

Don't know

Don't know

Speed dating?

Did they all have actors who are siblings on them?

Last edited by erwins; 18 December 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 18 December 2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Does each show have real-life relatives playing parts on the show? Raymond had twin sons, KOQ had Doug and his cousin played by Kevin James and his brother, Kojak and Fatso were played by Telly Savalas and his brother.
Old 18 December 2012, 09:32 AM

The siblings (per my theory) I know are:
The Donna Reed Show had a sister and brother, I think.
Everybody Loves Raymond, two brothers.
In Living Color, the Wayan brothers.
Old 18 December 2012, 10:33 AM

Besides the twins who played Carrie, Little House On the Prairie had a pair of brothers on the show. Albert and what's his name.
Closed Thread