snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 04 December 2012, 03:44 PM

The Game of Thrones trilogy might suit your tastes, and would certainly keep you occupied for a while. I'm not much of a fantasy fan myself, but I'm enjoying it.
Old 04 December 2012, 03:52 PM

Ooh, yes! Seconded! It's more than three, though.
Old 04 December 2012, 04:16 PM

At the rate I'm going, it may keep me occupied for a few years. I'm a fast reader, but I keep having to put it down occasionally and switch to something lighter. Last night I picked up Clash of Kings after one of those breaks and the second chapter I read included the "green dream" of Bran and Rickon being killed.
Old 04 December 2012, 04:46 PM

Reading

Had to share this! (I think it's been on the boards before.)

Anyway, during this busy season I usually stick to either light-and-fluffy - something I can polish off a chunk of quickly before bedtime, or if I want some more quality literature, I go for short story anthologies. I just finished "Rickles' Book," which reads more like a quick magazine article, and before that I read the 2008 edition of The Best American Short Stories, edited by Salman Rushdie. Lots of good ones in there.
Old 04 December 2012, 05:19 PM

Thank you for the quick replies! I am heading to Amazon for a quick peek at a synopsis of Game of Thrones.

edit: is the set actually called "A Song of Ice and Fire"? With "A Game of Thrones" being the first book?
Old 04 December 2012, 05:44 PM

Yes, that's it.
Old 05 December 2012, 02:51 AM

Iíll third Song of Ice and Fire. Faster, George, faster! Just...umm...donít kill my personal favorites while youíre at it.

Since you also mentioned SF, Iíll keep up my personal SF evangelism and recommend Lois McMaster Bujoldís Vorkosigan saga. Miles reminds me of Tyrion if he had grown up in a sci-fi universe and with a vastly more supportive family structure. Hmmm...thereís also another character who has a more Tyrion-like upbringing but that verges into huge spoilerdom. Iíd recommend going in internal chronological order, either starting with Shards of Honor (focusing on Milesí parents) or with the first Miles book, The Warriorís Apprentice. Personally, Iíd pick Shards to start with, but most of the books have Miles as the central character and WA introduces that hyperactive gitís quirks. Falling Free is in the same universe but takes place 2 centuries before the other novels and can be read right before Diplomatic Immunity.

Oh, and I read Brandon Sanderson's first Mistborn book a while ago and quite liked it. He surprised me by killing off 2 characters who I thought no way he'd kill them off until book 3. Guess they had that Emperor's New Plot Armor instead.
Old 05 December 2012, 02:57 AM

Yes, we should warn you not to get overly attached.
Old 05 December 2012, 03:12 AM

Australia

Atlanta Jake this page has some good suggestions for where to start with Terry Pratchett.

Dropbear
Old 05 December 2012, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the help everyone! keep em coming!
Old 05 December 2012, 03:24 PM

I'm honestly not a Martin fan in the least.

But, then again, I tend to gravitate towards female sci-fi/fantasy authors or sci-fi/fantasy books with strong, positive female main charterers.

On a more sci-fi front, I'd recommend most anything by Sherri Tepper, Octavia Butler, or Connie Willis. Robin Hobb is a MUST read fantasy author. I've not found one series by her that I disliked. The Temeraire Novels by Naomi Novi were quite fun as well.

Much of my other stuff is less mainstream, heavily post-apocolyptic, or falls under YA, so I'll refrain from those lists. The stuff I've recommended above is more mainstream.

Oh, crap. How could I forget Tad Williams' Otherland series! Pure GENIUS!
Old 05 December 2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Jake View Post
I have seen much love from Snopesters for Terry Pratchett, and I have wanted to delve into the Star Wars universe for years. Both of these seem to have a huge number of stories, and I wouldn't know where to begin.
With Terry Pratchett, I'd recommend you not start at the beginning, though that can help to see how the world has progressed. I could be wrong to suggest that, as I've been told before by at least one Pratchett fan that I'm odd for being a fan for near 20 years and yet preferring the recent books. However, I'd also recommend you read by type, not date. So read the Witches books together, or the Nights Watch books. I'd personally recommend my favourite - The Tiffany Aching books. However, I think you should have a grasp on the older witches before you do.

For other books, I'd recommend Robin Hobb, Patrick Rothfuss (there are two books out, of what will be a trilogy), Ben Aaronavitch, Alan Garner, Mark Charan Newton ... Hmm, I'm just listing off from my bookshelf, so I'll stop. I do want to mention two relatively unknown Australian fantasy authors that I've only recently read, Glenda Larke (a bit more well known) and Rowena Cory Daniells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
Robin Hobb is a MUST read fantasy author ... The Temeraire Novels by Naomi Novi were quite fun as well ... Tad Williams' Otherland series! Pure GENIUS!
Can I have you shipped and posted to me, so I can meet you in person and talk about fantasy with you? It's probably a vanity, but I like your tastes as they seem to mirror mine!
Old 05 December 2012, 08:33 PM

I suggest Neil Gaiman. American Gods is wonderful if you also like contemporary/urban fantasy. He wrote a book with Terry Pratchett, Good Omen, which is hilarious.

My favorite SF series is Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Nothing else has quite left so many pieces of it swirling around in my head years later.
Old 05 December 2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twankydillo View Post
Can I have you shipped and posted to me, so I can meet you in person and talk about fantasy with you? It's probably a vanity, but I like your tastes as they seem to mirror mine!

LOL! I've always wanted to visit England! Or, alternatively, you could take a vacation in the great state of Colorado. It's beautiful here. And then you could see my stacks. Even though they were reduced by about half with the recent move, I kept most of my genre fic.
Old 05 December 2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
LOL! I've always wanted to visit England! Or, alternatively, you could take a vacation in the great state of Colorado. It's beautiful here. And then you could see my stacks. Even though they were reduced by about half with the recent move, I kept most of my genre fic.
One day a short stranger will appear, enquiring after your genre fic stacks. Do not be alarmed, except to worry how I found you.
Old 05 December 2012, 09:54 PM

Don't be alarmed when it emits sounds like "Ecky thwmp," and "Ee, you're a mardy one."
Old 05 December 2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twankydillo View Post
One day a short stranger will appear, enquiring after your genre fic stacks. Do not be alarmed, except to worry how I found you.
You'd be welcome! The dog LOVES random visitors.
Old 05 December 2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
My favorite SF series is Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Nothing else has quite left so many pieces of it swirling around in my head years later.
Me too! To the point where, a couple of years ago, I thought up a plot that I was really excited about that i was going to use for NaNoWriMo, then I was in the bookstore and saw a copy of Hyperion and then I was like .

Ever since then I've been terrified that I will one day plagiarize some famous book without realizing it.
Old 06 December 2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Had to share this! (I think it's been on the boards before.)

Yeah two geeks singing at me would get me to write faster.

As for you Jake, how do you enjoy the works of Ray Bradbury? Those are some of my favorite science fiction/fantasy works. Among my favorites are Fahrenheit 451, Golden Apples of the Sun/R is For Rocket, and From the Dust Returned. Dust is actually his most recent work (or most recent that I've read). It's about a strange Gothic family sort of like the Addams Family where everyone has unusual abilities such as an uncle who can fly, a daughter who can astral project into peoples' bodies, and other things and most of his works are short stories so they shouldn't take long to get through before you move onto the next book.
Old 06 December 2012, 02:06 PM

Gonna check out Hyperion (Thanks Aud and Kit) and Auburn Red - I have read much Bradbury, but think I will check out From the Dust Returned. Thats one I have not read.

Pratchett still intimidates me with the sheer volume.... but I did read Mort. Think I might need to see the witches books next.

Thanks, for the ideas everyone! I will be laid up for a while yet. so I'd love to hear more of them.

(on a side note... thanks to netflix I am finally getting into full swing on Doctor Who. It's been years since I actually FOLLOWED a story line as opposed to catching random episodes).

Jake